NWA media

Diplodocus,

Let me preface my comments by saying we (my wife and I, who run a gift store) have advertised with the (Bentonville) Morning News and have gotten some good results. Our former rep from there was a sterling guy and I wouldn't hesitate to advertise there again.

Let me also say that elsewhere I've had some on-line forum gay/lesbian/transgender friends with whom I talk issues of Christianity (I'm very much the evangelical Christian who doesn't believe at all that same-sex-attraction is an inborn/genetic trait (with that said, it's not at all easy to overcome and I can see exactly, or at least nearly so, how someone could develop (or think they've developed) the trait from an early age (like age 3) and believe they were created that way)). Some of these acquaintances lived in Arkansas a few years or decades ago and had a very difficult time here. I've cited some of The Morning News and articles you've printed such as this one and this one (with an E-MAIL ADDRESS, no less!) as proof indeed about how things have changed up here in NWA. (Not to mention my seeing a young man, a checkout clerk at the Wal-Mart across from that company's headquarters, who wore rainbow triangle and "I (heart) Ashton Kutcher" buttons on his blue vest and told me NO ONE ever gives him a hard time about doing so including, apparently, store management.) I don't think I could offer better proof than those Morning News articles.

That being said...

I just worry about how leftward some of the stories I'm seeing seem to be in your paper, sir (or ma'am). I'm not trying to be rude...as mentioned earlier, most American newsrooms are liberal-leaning to say the least. It's just that many of the editorials and even some of the stories give me an uneasy feeling beyond the reporting from a point of view that's different than mine. Right now I don't have any such stories to share and if I did I don't think this would be the most appropriate forum to address them.

Again, if it works for your paper, best to you. I'm just wondering if indeed this is happening whether it couldn't come back to haunt the Morning News someday as this is still a conservative area. (And may I add that even evangelical conservative Christians I meet and listen to are quite respectful of people with whose points of view they differ such as (oftimes) GLBT ones...many ecC'ers are admonishing their fellow ecC'ers to not shy away from truth but ALSO not to be hypocritical and hurtful to those with whom they disagree.)

Let's all grab our ankles for the conservatives :wacko:

Simply reporting on subjects such as these does not imply a liberal agenda behind the articles. The fact is that Eureka Springs is a Gay destination. This is called stating the obvious. And the article about the swimmers. Big deal. I have to hear enough about the 12 year old little league to make myself vomit.

Obviously someone has never read the Fayetteville Free Weekly. You can not drown the voice of homosexuality simply by ignoring it in the media. There are thousands of others of these people with that triangle pin and a fond admiration of Mr. Kutcher in this little conservative area of the state ( North of 412). They have a right to have their voice heard as well. As time goes on you will see how backwards this all is.

Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Diplodocus,

Let me preface my comments by saying we (my wife and I, who run a gift store) have advertised with the (Bentonville) Morning News and have gotten some good results. Our former rep from there was a sterling guy and I wouldn't hesitate to advertise there again.

Let me also say that elsewhere I've had some on-line forum gay/lesbian/transgender friends with whom I talk issues of Christianity (I'm very much the evangelical Christian who doesn't believe at all that same-sex-attraction is an inborn/genetic trait (with that said, it's not at all easy to overcome and I can see exactly, or at least nearly so, how someone could develop (or think they've developed) the trait from an early age (like age 3) and believe they were created that way)). Some of these acquaintances lived in Arkansas a few years or decades ago and had a very difficult time here. I've cited some of The Morning News and articles you've printed such as this one and this one (with an E-MAIL ADDRESS, no less!) as proof indeed about how things have changed up here in NWA. (Not to mention my seeing a young man, a checkout clerk at the Wal-Mart across from that company's headquarters, who wore rainbow triangle and "I (heart) Ashton Kutcher" buttons on his blue vest and told me NO ONE ever gives him a hard time about doing so including, apparently, store management.) I don't think I could offer better proof than those Morning News articles.

That being said...

I just worry about how leftward some of the stories I'm seeing seem to be in your paper, sir (or ma'am). I'm not trying to be rude...as mentioned earlier, most American newsrooms are liberal-leaning to say the least. It's just that many of the editorials and even some of the stories give me an uneasy feeling beyond the reporting from a point of view that's different than mine. Right now I don't have any such stories to share and if I did I don't think this would be the most appropriate forum to address them.

Again, if it works for your paper, best to you. I'm just wondering if indeed this is happening whether it couldn't come back to haunt the Morning News someday as this is still a conservative area. (And may I add that even evangelical conservative Christians I meet and listen to are quite respectful of people with whose points of view they differ such as (oftimes) GLBT ones...many ecC'ers are admonishing their fellow ecC'ers to not shy away from truth but ALSO not to be hypocritical and hurtful to those with whom they disagree.)

frankly, i don't find any of the local news papers to be left of center in the slightest. after all, the area is mucho conservative, except fayetteville to a degree. but hopefully as the region grows it will lose some of its conservatism. although, i recently cruised by the new mega-church in rogers and it was simply the scariest thing i've seen in a while. those giant crosses, to me, are straight apocalyptic... but i digress. fayetteville's free weekly is a good source of independent thought and culture in the area which is refreshing.

Let's all grab our ankles for the conservatives :wacko:

Simply reporting on subjects such as these does not imply a liberal agenda behind the articles. The fact is that Eureka Springs is a Gay destination. This is called stating the obvious. And the article about the swimmers. Big deal. I have to hear enough about the 12 year old little league to make myself vomit.

Obviously someone has never read the Fayetteville Free Weekly. You can not drown the voice of homosexuality simply by ignoring it in the media. There are thousands of others of these people with that triangle pin and a fond admiration of Mr. Kutcher in this little conservative area of the state ( North of 412). They have a right to have their voice heard as well. As time goes on you will see how backwards this all is.

Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it!

:whistling: Boy, I sense a serious case of thread drift in waiting here.

I wasn't putting down the News for the GLBT coverage, was I? (BTW, a gay man who works at a business a few doors down from mine dropped in and we talked extensively this morning about the same subject. For what it's worth, he thought the young clerk was out of line for wearing the pins that he did at the W-M workplace.)

I'm thinking of bigger things I've seen...and yes, I still think the News is a bit bothersome in its left-of-center viewpoint on other things (most notably the war on terror and those who'd love to blow our commercial airliners filled with innocent civilians out of the sky tonight if they could, with whom no left-of-center editor/reporter I've yet read seems to have a clue as to how to deal with but they sure love to "witch and moan" about how we're handling them the wrong way NOW) which seems to permeate their paper like grease on a pizza box. (And for what it's worth I told my ad rep that...even though I still advertised for months in his paper.)

frankly, i don't find any of the local news papers to be left of center in the slightest. after all, the area is mucho conservative, except fayetteville to a degree. but hopefully as the region grows it will lose some of its conservatism. although, i recently cruised by the new mega-church in rogers and it was simply the scariest thing i've seen in a while. those giant crosses, to me, are straight apocalyptic... but i digress. fayetteville's free weekly is a good source of independent thought and culture in the area which is refreshing.

I totally agree with you, that church is a gross usage of money and "power" and its purpose is just this, a wealthy church, for wealthy people, i have nothing against christianity but that doesnt seem very christian to me, just as these cookie cutter gated communities are destroying the "neighborhood experience". Everyday it seems that the social classes are getting further and further apart, and all of this isnt helping, now i understand country clubs of the elite and what not, but a church? come on people, and i know this is a bit off topic just as the previous statements i just made were, i know that everyone needs to get there crap together, but conservatives play a big part in why the middle class suffers, young adults such as myself cannot afford anything around here, whether its the skyrocketing land prices, or a gallon of gas, to the state taxes, when your fresh out of school you cant do anything but stay at home and pray that when you finish your 4 year run at one of the local colleges that youll be able to aquire that job so you can barely support yourself, and when i said taxes i meant it exactly as that, if we legalized gambling all that money would go back into schools, parks, other forms of recreation, ROADS, and infrastructure. Everything we need balances on a vote that is totally one sided, by most of the state, and like it or not, NWA is becoming liberal and more open minded, and that can only mean that we can come back together as not four cities, but as a METRO, so that way we can make our own decisions, and not some right wing so called senator(s) that do what they think is best for their pocket book!.......sorry, i needed a good rant :D

I totally agree with you, that church is a gross usage of money and "power" and its purpose is just this, a wealthy church, for wealthy people, i have nothing against christianity but that doesnt seem very christian to me, just as these cookie cutter gated communities are destroying the "neighborhood experience". Everyday it seems that the social classes are getting further and further apart, and all of this isnt helping, now i understand country clubs of the elite and what not, but a church? come on people, and i know this is a bit off topic just as the previous statements i just made were, i know that everyone needs to get there crap together, but conservatives play a big part in why the middle class suffers, young adults such as myself cannot afford anything around here, whether its the skyrocketing land prices, or a gallon of gas, to the state taxes, when your fresh out of school you cant do anything but stay at home and pray that when you finish your 4 year run at one of the local colleges that youll be able to aquire that job so you can barely support yourself, and when i said taxes i meant it exactly as that, if we legalized gambling all that money would go back into schools, parks, other forms of recreation, ROADS, and infrastructure. Everything we need balances on a vote that is totally one sided, by most of the state, and like it or not, NWA is becoming liberal and more open minded, and that can only mean that we can come back together as not four cities, but as a METRO, so that way we can make our own decisions, and not some right wing so called senator(s) that do what they think is best for their pocket book!.......sorry, i needed a good rant :D

Edensfall, isn't it fascinating that the supreme catalyst for so much of NWA's growth (well, after our blessed Lord, that is) which in turn has generated all this diversity, as chronicled accurately in yesterday's Morning News, is one of liberalism's favorite targets: big, bad ol' Wal-Mart?

And have you read the studies where legalized gambling pretty much amounts to a regressive tax on poor people?

I can certainly tell you that when I pump $3.00-per-gallon gasoline in my tank I'm thanking liberals for not allowing other refineries to be built* so we can all share (even the poorest of us) the luxury of fueling our car in the summer of 2006.

Diplodocus, I may be bothered by some of your paper's leanings, but I salute you for many of the articles including yesterday's one of Bentonville's diversity and the GLBT-oriented ones I've shown my acquaintances outside Arkansas who may still be tempted to believe a misconception that every man up here dresses like Jed Clampett and whose idea of tender pillow talk is to say "Squeal like a pig."

You take the good with the bad, and if you don't like the bad, don't read the paper.

(*I'm guessing some of these liberals still believe, as their 1960s counterparts did, that we're going to run out of land for people to live on in an extremely short period of time. To their memory I also, when driving through the abundant, lushly green (from millions of trees) hills and valleys of modern-day Arkansas and southwest Missouri, tip my hat if I'm wearing one.)

Edensfall, a lot of what you just posted is all part of the NWO. I'm not going to be the resident doomsayer, but being a Christian and a believer in the Bible Prophecies all I can say is keep your eyes wide open. Just remember that there won't be peace on earth and all that jazz until after the Prophecies have been fulfilled. In other words things will get much worse before they get so much better.

I can certainly tell you that when I pump $3.00-per-gallon gasoline in my tank I'm thanking liberals for not allowing other refineries to be built* so we can all share (even the poorest of us) the luxury of fueling our car in the summer of 2006.

I make it a point to never thank politicians (liberal or otherwise) for anything as they are just doing their jobs anyway without any concerns but their own. As far as building more refineries, that would only give the politicians an excuse to allow auto manufacturers to build less fuel efficient cars and can only do more harm than good. Without mentioning names (like Al Gore) I believe there's plenty that our "humble servants" called politicians can do to reduce the demand on oil and greatly reduce the price at the pumps (check out the movie "An Inconvenient Truth" for more information).

I read both newpapers, listen to KFAY talk radio and KAUF (NPR), watch KHOG and KNWA news so I get a good balance. I even read that Fayetteville free newspaper you find in front of Rick's Bakery. It seems that the Fayetteville edition of The Morning News is all about Springdale and Benton County. The Northwest Arkansas Times seems to be a bit more balanced.

Channel 5 news seems to be all about Ft. Smith and the river valley which I could care less about. KHOG spends more time talking about some small town in Oklahoma and Poteau weather than any station I've ever seen. I can't understand what the fascination with KHOG and Poteau Oklahoma is. I think KNWA is that almost college type news station, they're sort of professional, but not quite. And if they didn't offer viewers $200 to watch their news, I probably wouldn't watch. I'm looking forward to the new FOX station, although it will be owned by the same people who own KNWA. Dana Sergeant is a great young news anchor, witty and very easy on the eyes. She was great on KNWA's morning show.

I would like to see a traffic helicopter, but I can't imagine any local tv station here fronting the costs of one. It would be nice to have a local area traffic report though, and a nightly construction report since all the highways in northwest Arkansas seem to be under construction. Also more live remote truck reports on breaking news. The reporter calling in from a cell phone is very 90's.

Anyway, been reading the forum for some time now, thought I would throw my thought in on this.

I read both newpapers, listen to KFAY talk radio and KAUF (NPR), watch KHOG and KNWA news so I get a good balance. I even read that Fayetteville free newspaper you find in front of Rick's Bakery. It seems that the Fayetteville edition of The Morning News is all about Springdale and Benton County. The Northwest Arkansas Times seems to be a bit more balanced.

Channel 5 news seems to be all about Ft. Smith and the river valley which I could care less about. KHOG spends more time talking about some small town in Oklahoma and Poteau weather than any station I've ever seen. I can't understand what the fascination with KHOG and Poteau Oklahoma is. I think KNWA is that almost college type news station, they're sort of professional, but not quite. And if they didn't offer viewers $200 to watch their news, I probably wouldn't watch. I'm looking forward to the new FOX station, although it will be owned by the same people who own KNWA. Dana Sergeant is a great young news anchor, witty and very easy on the eyes. She was great on KNWA's morning show.

I would like to see a traffic helicopter, but I can't imagine any local tv station here fronting the costs of one. It would be nice to have a local area traffic report though, and a nightly construction report since all the highways in northwest Arkansas seem to be under construction. Also more live remote truck reports on breaking news. The reporter calling in from a cell phone is very 90's.

Anyway, been reading the forum for some time now, thought I would throw my thought in on this.

Hey jim9251. I've seen you on here before, nice to have you post. I think I agree with you a lot on your opinions on the news. Although I think people outside of Fayetteville would argue that the Northwest Arkansas Times has too much focus on Fayetteville. I used to watch KHOG and I still do occiasionally. But I have to support KNWA. I do see the argument that they sometimes seem a little unprofessional. But I think some people prefer something where the people seem a little more like just being themselves. It doesn't bother me too much and I will still continue to support KNWA just because they made the move to NWA. If anything I have more of a problem with them losing so many people and now they've shifted people around. One of the sports guys is now one of the main anchors, one of the weathermen is now on sports. Just seems odd to have people move around like that. I do think dana Sargeant will do well on the new FOX. Her early morning replacement on KNWA seems pretty good as well.

I couldn't have said it any better. I agree with all your points. 5 News does spend too much time on the small towns of Oklahoma, honestly who cares about rural Oklahoma. I enjoy KNWA simply becuase it focuses only on Benton, Washington, Madison, & McDonald Counties.

Also, welcome to the forum.

Edensfall, a lot of what you just posted is all part of the NWO. I'm not going to be the resident doomsayer, but being a Christian and a believer in the Bible Prophecies all I can say is keep your eyes wide open. Just remember that there won't be peace on earth and all that jazz until after the Prophecies have been fulfilled. In other words things will get much worse before they get so much better.

Am I the only one who feels like these people live in a bubble. The media here is some of the worst media in any metro I have ever lived.

Channel 5 is a joke. KNWA is the only real Metro news and the papers are all below average. Left, Right, however you feel of the media up here it is just plain Bad!

Masonsdad, whatever gives you purpose!

It looks like the new FOX is on the air today. I hadn't noticed earlier. But when I turned it over after the news to watch Seinfeld I noticed it looked like an infomercial was on. I know the new station won't have a lot of programming options at the beginning.

It looks like the new FOX is on the air today. I hadn't noticed earlier. But when I turned it over after the news to watch Seinfeld I noticed it looked like an infomercial was on. I know the new station won't have a lot of programming options at the beginning.

I also noticed that if you have Cox HD service, channel 708 is the Hi-Def channel. Eventually they will have a full Fox schedule w/ HD NFL games. Alright, a fellow Seinfeld fan here on Urban Planet....this place gets better and better. :D

Well thought I'd actually shre a little info from their newscast. As far as I've seen so far all they have is their 9PM newscast. I was a bit disappointed because it's not going to be just a NWA newscast. It appears that it's going for more of a regional one. They show current temps in one of the bottom corners and they even had Harrison listed. I imagine that at least initially they'll still mainly cover NWA because they're getting help from KNWA. Although I admit I don't even know where the studio is. It could be in Ft Smith. I know Dana Sargeant has moved to the new FOX. But so far they seem to be sharing the other members of the newscast. Not sure if this will be temporary or what. Their website lists Dan Skoff, KNWA's weatherman, on their website. Would two stations actually share a weatherman? I couldn't really imagine him leaving KNWA to go to the FOX.

They had a morning show, I just watched it. The show wasn't very interesting as well, it seemed dull like some of the other news programs.

I myself was dissapointed when they mentioned the Ft. Smith and NWA area.

I'm still trying to figure out if the studio is down in Ft Smith or actually up here. But either way it still looks like it's planning on being a regional station. Guess I can't blame them too much. I guess NWA will have to grow a bit more before we can get more news coverage.

KATV is opening a full-time Fayetteville bureau to cover the Razorbacks, something KARK (NBC) has already done. Hopefully that will keep their reporters like Paul Eells from making that trip between NWA and LR quite so often.

Yeah KARK and KNWA's sports are basically connected or almost the same thing now. They occasionally have someone on who I think is from KARK on there.

KATV is opening a full-time Fayetteville bureau to cover the Razorbacks, something KARK (NBC) has already done. Hopefully that will keep their reporters like Paul Eells from making that trip between NWA and LR quite so often.

Is this the KATV from LR?

Does this mean that we will get KATV in NWA?

Yeah, it makes sense because there's a lot of sports here in NWA that are going to get covered in Little Rock. KNWA and KARK are owned by the same people so it makes it easy for them. But KATV doesn't have that connection with anyone up here.

Archived