Broadway and 1st Condos

civitas

There's an architecture firm in Kalamazoo (their name escapes me) who turned an abandoned church, just south of downtown in a residential neighborhood, into their headquarters. I had the pleasure of touring during one of Kalamazoo's friday Art-Hops and I was very impressed.

Saving old buildings that aren't completely in disrepair is the right thing to do.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's that I hear???? Is that gentrification knocking at the door? Right on the nose Rizzo!

Isn't that a line from an old Ry Cooder song?

Jonathan Bradford makes a significant distinction between gentrification (bad) and revitalization (good), but I'm never sure where one stops and the other begins.

If the church is worth saving, then so is the apartment building to its south.

222821082_f8b4baacbd_o.jpg

bway-1-1.jpg

Would the developers be able to make up the lost units by either adding height to that apartment building or extend it along first street?

After seeing some of the photos posted on here of church conversions, I would have to think any converted dwellings in the church could easily charge a premium above the average of $219,000 that the other units are going to be sold for...economically it could be in the developers best interest to keep the church and apartment building as is?

Would the developers be able to make up the lost units by either adding height to that apartment building or extend it along first street?

After seeing some of the photos posted on here of church conversions, I would have to think any converted dwellings in the church could easily charge a premium above the average of $219,000 that the other units are going to be sold for...economically it could be in the developers best interest to keep the church and apartment building as is?

Here she is (sorry for the poor quality):

222839534_6a1685d86c.jpg

The one thing about churches, and projects like Union Square, is that there are details, character, arches, unique windows and features that you just can't duplicate economically today, that many buyers will definitely pay a premium for. Imagine the upstairs front end of this picture having the high vaulted ceilings and the archway with stained glass window as a living unit.

Or imagine turning the bell tower into a cool observation deck and patio, probably with some great views of downtown and St Mary's.

I think the church and apartment building renovation would add a lot to that development, an anchor of sorts. These two buildings have tons of character. If the guys who are building the townhouse development aren't interested in redeveloping this, it seems like someone else might be. There is a church being converted into a single family home not far from my house right now. It looks fantastic.

If the intent is to knock down the church, will the HPC try to save it? Or does it have to be in a historic district for the HPC to get involved? Seems like if its a hundred years old it might be worth the effort...

PS, lets not get in another stupid HPC argument....just askin' ;)

If the intent is to knock down the church, will the HPC try to save it? Or does it have to be in a historic district for the HPC to get involved? Seems like if its a hundred years old it might be worth the effort...

PS, lets not get in another stupid HPC argument....just askin' ;)

I believe a member of the planning commission said that due to the church not being downtown (i.e. is outside the highway ring) and not part of any marked historic district, it can be torn down without anyone being able to legally object, and that the planning commission has no intent on making an issue of demolishing the structure.

The one thing about churches, and projects like Union Square, is that there are details, character, arches, unique windows and features that you just can't duplicate economically today, that many buyers will definitely pay a premium for. Imagine the upstairs front end of this picture having the high vaulted ceilings and the archway with stained glass window as a living unit.

Or imagine turning the bell tower into a cool observation deck and patio, probably with some great views of downtown and St Mary's.

The sanctuary (in the photo) is on the 2nd floor of the building. The 1st floor is a multi-purpose room under the sanctuary. There is nice original woodwork in the narthex/stair area.

Isn't that a line from an old Ry Cooder song?

Jonathan Bradford makes a significant distinction between gentrification (bad) and revitalization (good), but I'm never sure where one stops and the other begins.

I don't know anyone in the bounded streets, but I do know people in the West side not far from there. Some that I know, if offered the right price for their property, would pick up and move to a different part of the West side.

Some will welcome this development with open arms, that is if they're the ones with the agreements. What about the folks that live there, want to live there, and insist on staying?

222839534_6a1685d86c.jpg

The altar up front looks fairly nice - I hope that the congregation plans on saving it and moving it to their new location...

There's an architecture firm in Kalamazoo (their name escapes me) who turned an abandoned church, just south of downtown in a residential neighborhood, into their headquarters. I had the pleasure of touring during one of Kalamazoo's friday Art-Hops and I was very impressed.

Saving old buildings that aren't completely in disrepair is the right thing to do.

Dikema Hamann. I've seen pictures, it looks nice!

The altar up front looks fairly nice - I hope that the congregation plans on saving it and moving it to their new location...

That's also a pretty ornate Tabernacle (?) behind the altar. All you CC grads are probably going to correct me. I'm sure the diocese will keep those items.

By looking at Civitas pic, it looks like the church and apartment building would more than make up for the loss of 3-4 units. Plus, the apartment building (which I agree is worth saving) could house first-floor retail (which would be a big bonus to homeowners). Maybe a pocket park set behind the apartment building?

I think if the developers put a little creativity in and use these two buildings, it would be a stellar development.

I nominate Civitas to doodle something up to show how cool it would be. You are always good at that stuff.

Heck, I'd probably buy a condo in the church. Sign me up!

Joe

By looking at Civitas pic, it looks like the church and apartment building would more than make up for the loss of 3-4 units. Plus, the apartment building (which I agree is worth saving) could house first-floor retail (which would be a big bonus to homeowners). Maybe a pocket park set behind the apartment building?

I think if the developers put a little creativity in and use these two buildings, it would be a stellar development.

I nominate Civitas to doodle something up to show how cool it would be. You are always good at that stuff.

Heck, I'd probably buy a condo in the church. Sign me up!

Joe

That reminds me, hey GRDadof3, I have an invoice prepared for all the sketches. Who at UP should I send it to? :whistling:

The priest told me that the apartment building had been condemned by the city, but he didn't say why.

That reminds me, hey GRDadof3, I have an invoice prepared for all the sketches. Who at UP should I send it to? :whistling:

The priest told me that the apartment building had been condemned by the city, but he didn't say why.

The father also told the Press that it would cost "thousands and thousands" to rehab the church (or was it the apartments?). His small aging congregation doesn't have it, but that $$$ is out there in the community. Just find the right condo buyer.

Strategy session:

http://www.nederveld.com/community.htm is the architect. Presumably the Z-men can be reached through them.

If enough of us contact Nederveld suggesting that the church buildings be incorporated into the design, then we don't have to suggest that the PC public hearing will be inundated with UP'ers loudly stating the same thing. (And the garages. And the open space. And some facade variety so it doesn't look like a wall of little boxes.) Couldn't hurt to throw 'em a sketch-up or two.

I don't have the neighborhood assn's contact info here. Same process.

Follow up with the PC meeting. (I wish they met at night so that armchair planners working other day jobs could more easily attend.)

If enough of us contact Nederveld suggesting that the church buildings be incorporated into the design, then we don't have to suggest that the PC public hearing will be inundated with UP'ers loudly stating the same thing.

Trust me, they're watching this very thread. No need for phone calls.

Strategy session:

http://www.nederveld.com/community.htm is the architect. Presumably the Z-men can be reached through them.

If enough of us contact Nederveld suggesting that the church buildings be incorporated into the design, then we don't have to suggest that the PC public hearing will be inundated with UP'ers loudly stating the same thing. (And the garages. And the open space. And some facade variety so it doesn't look like a wall of little boxes.) Couldn't hurt to throw 'em a sketch-up or two.

I don't have the neighborhood assn's contact info here. Same process.

Follow up with the PC meeting. (I wish they met at night so that armchair planners working other day jobs could more easily attend.)

If you have something to say to the planning commission you can do so via email. Send it to Suzanne Schults, the planning director [email protected]. It will get to them.

I suspect by the huge disclaimer on their site plan that Nederveld agrees with much of what we're suggesting.

Trust me, they're watching this very thread. No need for phone calls.

if they are reading then excuse my post with the rant about the t.h. being crap, its just frustrating that the cool church will be torn down along with some of those cool old buildings (which if rehabilitated [which couldn't cost that much more than demo and rebuild] could make that area such a great place.) think about the character...

I agree that small apartment building looks really nice as well. Some additional height to it would be nice, but it's also perfectly fine right where it is as well.

Preserving those two buildings also gives the condo project a less dominating impact on the neighbourhood. With the first plan, it looks exactly as it is.. leveling an entire block for a project. Yes, sometimes it's needed, but it doesn't feel as part of an area that way. With the church preserved, especially if both buildings are preserved, the condos fit in much more naturally, it will look as though they all belong together.

The condos themselves look like they have great potential and will be a much welcome sight to the area.

Fun with SketchUp while watching the news...

223213795_f7306eec24_b.jpg

Yer hired!

Can we make the garages attached somehow? Help people keep their feet dry while they scuttle in with their 6-packs? Provide more green space? How about a Union Square-style garage building?

If you need any more views, let me know. My Return to Union Square (With Tape Measure) is tomorrow.

Fun with SketchUp while watching the news...

I like how you've taken architectual ques from the old church. Looks nice. If the acutual project does the same as in your Sketchup images then this will be a good example of reusing old buildings.

Archived