New Coaster for Michigan's Adventure in 2007 / 2008?

metrogrkid

Michigan's Adventure Expansion Watchers at UP-GR:

Many do not know that Michigan's Adventure (MIA) is the NUMBER ONE tourist attraction in the Grand Rapids CSA and one of the top three attractions in all of Michigan. It is a forgone conclusion that MIA will probably be adding a world-class rollercoaster in either 2007 or 2008 (especially with the park getting a city water hookup). With that said, and with hoping that the new coaster will be a steel model, please find listed below several links to examples that would 1) fit the scale of MIA and 2) continue MIA's rise to being a world-class amusement park and Michigan's premiere vacation destination:

1) Roller Coaster: Superman - Ride Of Steel

Amusement Park: Six Flags New England (Agawam, Massachusetts 01001 USA)

Type: Steel - Sit Down

Make / Model: Intamin AG / Mega Coaster

Designer: Ingenieur B

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michigan's Adventure Expansion Watchers at UP-GR:

Many do not know that Michigan's Adventure (MIA) is the NUMBER ONE tourist attraction in the Grand Rapids CSA and one of the top three attractions in all of Michigan. ...

Really? I thought the Meijer Gardens was at the top of the local list, and The Henry Ford and Frankenmuth were the top three.

Michigan Adventure is a small park compared to Ceder Point or Six Flags Great America. So adding a new coaster to MA would be a great move. Get about two or three more big coasters along with more veriety of entertainment options and MA would be a very nice alterative to Ceder Point or Six Flags Great America alongh with being a huge saving on the gas tank. As for the type of coasters that gets me screaming, inverted coasters, like the Batman at Great America sure gets the heart pounding while Stand Ups like Ceder Point's Mantis packs a serious punch. But if Michigan Adventure wants to make me sell my soul to buy tickets to get in. they need to plop a huge Hypercoster, like Millenium Force, in the park. Do that and I'll be there to ride it no questions asked.

Really? I thought the Meijer Gardens was at the top of the local list, and The Henry Ford and Frankenmuth were the top three.

Actually Ironically enough, the Cabella's store in Dundee outdoes all of them, probably combined bringing in something like 6.3 Million tourists each year to Michigan.

Wasn't a Cabella's proposed to go in the City of Walker on 4 Mile Road?

yes, and no...

yes there was a rumor they would move in, but no Cabellas never bit the bullet

however that isnt going to stop the development on walker and 4 mile, but it has set it back.

yes, and no...

yes there was a rumor they would move in, but no Cabellas never bit the bullet

however that isnt going to stop the development on walker and 4 mile, but it has set it back.

Cabela's has not turned down Orchard Park in Walker. Whitehall Twp has been nixed, but the last I heard Fruitport Twp and Walker are still on the short list.

Personally, I don't even see how a retail store can be a "tourist attraction." But anyway, I did not know that MI Adv. did not have water hook up. Now that they are getting it, does that mean that areas around there could get it, too? I am always amazed when I go up there at the lack of retail around the area. You would think there would be tons of restaurants and hotels around, but nope. Not one. It would definatly make for a more interesting ride, once you get off the freeway. It's so boring out there...

I had this debate with some other people. The Henry Ford and Meijer Gardens are "cultural destinations," of which they are the top two, with the Detroit Institute of Arts rounding out the top three.

Cabela's does bring in a lot of tourists and it probably is the number one tourist destination. Unless you count "the beach." That probably brings in more than 6MM people.

I've been to MIA a couple of times and have never been impressed. MIA is owned by Cedar Fair LP, the owners of Cedar Point.

Actually Ironically enough, the Cabella's store in Dundee outdoes all of them, probably combined bringing in something like 6.3 Million tourists each year to Michigan.
I think it is a joke that Cabela's claims that they are the #1 tourist attraction in Michigan.

Woodland Mall has nearly 7 million visitors per year.

Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor has just over 11 million visitors per year.

Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi has around 12 million visitors per year.

Fairlane Town Center in Dearborn has around 15 million visitors per year.

Great Lakes Crossing Mall in Auburn Hills has around 15 million visitors per year.

There are many other malls I am sure have more than 6.3 million visitors per year, including Rivertown Crossings Mall.

Source.

I once heard that Rivertown was way up there in the estimates, but I haven't found references to the amounts anywhere.

Interesting data break down of our market.

http://www.generalgrowth.com/content/live/...ts%20Report.pdf

When you break down our market size and how many malls we have you really have to stop and think. :huh:

Back in 1999, the Holland Sentinel mentioned mall representatives using the figure of hoping to attract "14 Million visitors annually":

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:8wBtB...t=clnk&cd=6

(the sentence just above the picture on the left, beginning with "The mall's developer, Chicago-based....")

I haven't heard what it draws now in its 6th year, but it always seems busy.

...Just in case anyone important is reading this...

If I could fix Michigan's Adventure my way I would replace falling star with a Huss Top Spin, replace logger's run with a power tower drop ride, and replace zach's zoomer with a wicked twister style inverted launch coaster. I would also add a camp snoopy kiddie area and retheme areas as well as adding new themed areas with Bigger Better Coasters/Thrill rides included. ...a indoor waterpark/hotel in the area would be nice too...

...Just in case anyone important is reading this...

If I could fix Michigan's Adventure my way I would replace falling star with a Huss Top Spin, replace logger's run with a power tower drop ride, and replace zach's zoomer with a wicked twister style inverted launch coaster. I would also add a camp snoopy kiddie area and retheme areas as well as adding new themed areas with Bigger Better Coasters/Thrill rides included. ...a indoor waterpark/hotel in the area would be nice too...

Michigan's Adventure definitely has the land to do all of this available. I like Zach's Zoomer though, don't get rid of that one.

I'd like to see Michigan Adventure stop focusing so much on the waterpark (for now) and add some more coasters. I think if they added a good steel roller coaster (or two) it would go a long way to solidifying its stature. 5 coasters with a couple of cool thrill rides and MA would be a top notch attraction and probably draw from a much wider area.

Joe

I'd like to see Michigan Adventure stop focusing so much on the waterpark (for now) and add some more coasters. I think if they added a good steel roller coaster (or two) it would go a long way to solidifying its stature. 5 coasters with a couple of cool thrill rides and MA would be a top notch attraction and probably draw from a much wider area.

Joe

Joe, the reason why they didn't expand the park much yet was due to the sewer and water extention. The deal has been worked out and the proper sewer extention will be in place very soon. THEN they can start expanding. Michigan Adventure has a ton of land they haven't touched yet. In 10 years, you won't recognize the park.

I think it is a joke that Cabela's claims that they are the #1 tourist attraction in Michigan.

Woodland Mall has nearly 7 million visitors per year.

Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor has just over 11 million visitors per year.

Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi has around 12 million visitors per year.

Fairlane Town Center in Dearborn has around 15 million visitors per year.

Great Lakes Crossing Mall in Auburn Hills has around 15 million visitors per year.

There are many other malls I am sure have more than 6.3 million visitors per year, including Rivertown Crossings Mall.

Source.

These malls may have millions of visitors, however, I find it hard to believe that anyone would drive in from out-of-state to visit Woodland Mall. While I also question whether Cabela's is really the #1 tourist attraction in Michigan, Cabela's is a destination in and of itself - people plan entire weekends around it. I'm an avid female hunter and visit there at least once a year. They carry a line of guns, bows, clothing, etc designed to fit women which is much more extensive than the stores around GR. It takes an entire day just to go through the place - it's gigantic. It has also spun off many supporting businesses which I'm sure have benefitted Dundee greatly by providing jobs, improving their tax base, has most probably improved their schools. It would've been a great benefit to Grand Rapids - Walker.

Isn't Michigan's Adventure owned by Cedar Point? I wonder just how much bigger they really want to make it - I assume if it become too much an attraction people would not drive to Cedar Point.

Why would Cedar Point care? It's all their money no matter which park you go to. From their perspective, it is a sound business decision to own a park that is in Michigan's fastest growing CSA and that is in the same state that has Metro Detroit 3 hours away from it. More money and more money for Cedar Fair / Cedar Point and phat rides close at hand for us here. Run with it! :yahoo:

-Metrogrkid

Archived