NBA exhibition games at Colonial Life Arena

803metlife

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the turn-out will be great. While I enjoy professional sports, particularly basketball, I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing that Columbia doesn't have any major professional sports teams. Contrary to popular thought, it is not necessarily a sign of a city getting to "big time" status. Look at all of the other sizable metropolitan areas that don't have any--Austin, Las Vegas, Columbus, OH, Hampton Roads, VA, etc. I think that because Columbia is such a college town (like Austin and Columbus, which are also state capitals), it is unlikely that any major professional team will establish itself here. Personally, I think that Greenville will be the first SC city to land a major professional sports teams, since it is the central city of the largest metropolitan region in the state.

Pro Sports in Columbia huh? The giant rooster wouldn't allow it! USC is Columbia when it comes to sports. The reference to Austin, and Columbus is a good one those cities are in the teir above Columbia and they still aren't serioius professional sports cities, well Columbus anyway, even though they have the Blue Jackets, Raleigh is in the same boat. They have the Canes but Raleigh still is considered more of a collegiate sports town.

It's just hard to be both usually your metro has to be above 2mill it seems to work, ie Pittsburgh, Miami, LA, Phoenix, Seattle, Denver, etc.

One of the drawbacks for any of the SC cities getting a pro team is the proximity to ATL, and CLT. Unless we get a run over team kinda like the way NY Jets/Giants play in the meadowlands of NJ, or something like that. i would say Rock Hill but I think the Knights are trying to move to DT CLT or something.

I still think that the variety of sports offered by USC more than makes up for the lack of a pro or minor league team.

i guess thats why usc tries to run the city, cause without them we won't have any sports. i do think that we need something else beside usc providing everything, it kind of handicaps the city that everything must go threw them. just like the panthers playing there first season in columbia. I don't think everybody in columbia feels that way about usc's sports

Really? I wonder how many people went to USC and decided to stay in the city? I'm guessing quite a few. I wonder if Five points and the Vista would be as successsful as they are today without USC's party goers? What about the Coliseum? Do you not think that the Innovista area will have an impact on the city? USC is a major part of Columbia's history and is an integral part of the city as we know it today.

True but these are all very recent events, innovista, colonial center, vista, except for 5 points which has always had ties to USC. But there has been development and movement in the city and metro without the help of the university. The growth that NE Richland, and Lexington are experiencing today is what Irmo went through in the 80'-90's with the development of Harbison Blvd. DT Columbia high rise boom in the 80's is another example of how the city grew standing alone from USC. Trust me I know USC has a symbiant relationship with the city and vice versa but USC has never been in a position to impact the city in such a dynamic way until recently.

i'm so excited about the game, havent' been to a professional baskett ball game since the charlotte hornets!! watching a college basket ball team feels way different the watching the professionals play. especially the ones s.c. can only see on t.v., i think this will be a big turn out, especially when the tickets all most sold out in the first 2wks. Can wait until oct,12 2005.

I think this will be a good opprotunity for Clolumbia, SC to showcase there marketability to the NBA. Dont think just because your a small market or a smaller city than most other pro sport cities that Columbia wouldnt have a chance at a NBA team.

Just look at Green Bay, WI, Sacramento, CA, Hartford, CT, each have pro teams in 1 or the four major sports and are not the largest of metro areas in the country. As long as you have a rabitous and dedicated fan base that pays good money and not scared to invest in stadiums, you allways have a shot.

I think this will be a good opprotunity for Clolumbia, SC to showcase there marketability to the NBA. Dont think just because your a small market or a smaller city than most other pro sport cities that Columbia wouldnt have a chance at a NBA team.

Just look at Green Bay, WI, Sacramento, CA, Hartford, CT, each have pro teams in 1 or the four major sports and are not the largest of metro areas in the country. As long as you have a rabitous and dedicated fan base that pays good money and not scared to invest in stadiums, you allways have a shot.

i'm glad i'm not the only one with a positive outlook to this. i believe will have the citizens of columbia begging for more and usc praying that it doesn't become anything that it's not suppose to be.

Sacramento is a larger market than most people think. But I do see your point. I'm glad to see the NBA come to town. I wish I was there I'd love to see the game!

Did anyone attend the game last night?

i attended the game last night, it wasn't a shocker that it was a sell out crowd. It was a awesome game won by AI and his team mates. I think columbia can support something like this, but i doubt if charlotte likes the idea,because of the close proximity of both cities. Matter of fact that's why Charlotte lost the hornets, because no one in charlotte was supporting the hornets which forced them to relocate to New Orleans. I think if there was going to be a franchise team in the state, what better place to locate than columbia. In the center of the state, and almost every one in s.c. can access columbia in 1 to 2hrs drive, instead of the team being locate in the corner or top of the state where it would take forever to get there. but it was a great game and oppurtunity columbia

i attended the game last night, it wasn't a shocker that it was a sell out crowd. It was a awesome game won by AI and his team mates. I think columbia can support something like this, but i doubt if charlotte likes the idea,because of the close proximity of both cities. Matter of fact that's why Charlotte lost the hornets, because no one in charlotte was supporting the hornets which forced them to relocate to New Orleans. I think if there was going to be a franchise team in the state, what better place to locate than columbia. In the center of the state, and almost every one in s.c. can access columbia in 1 to 2hrs drive, instead of the team being locate in the corner or top of the state where it would take forever to get there. but it was a great game and oppurtunity columbia

It was a sellout? Wow! 18,000 for a preseason NBA game is amazing. The last time an NBA game was held here it only drew about 10,000. There will definitely be alot more with hat type of attendance.

Archived