NBA exhibition games at Colonial Life Arena

803metlife

• 9 months later...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems as though the turn out for last yrs exhibition game was successful between the 76ers and the Spurs . They have decided to host another NBA exhibition game featuring The Indiana Pacers and The Charlotte Bob Cats in the Colonial Center on Oct 24. Tickets are on sale now!!! I would have preferred to see any team but the Bob Cats but they'll do. Seems as though Columbia's market is defintely being tested :thumbsup:

Ahhh, come on, why in the world would the bring the team just up the road (which doesn't have a stellar record) to Columbia? I don't think the turnout will be all that great. But then again it might be because of the hometown hero, Jermaine O'Neal.

I agree; the Bobcats are just not going to draw a big crowd. They should be bringing the New York Knicks and renaldo Balkman back to Columbia - now that would be a draw!

Ahhh, come on, why in the world would the bring the team just up the road (which doesn't have a stellar record) to Columbia? I don't think the turnout will be all that great. But then again it might be because of the hometown hero, Jermaine O'Neal.

Yeah, your right!!!! Charlotte barley supports the Bobcats and their records stinks.Jermaine will more than likely be the crowd drawer. They could have put a better game together but I'm still going to check it out.

• 1 month later...

Very nice! Now if only the NHL would schedule the Carolina Hurricanes to play the Atlanta Thrashers in Greenville or Columbia for a pre-season game. It's nice to get a taste of this from time to time, not to mention it helps extend and solidify the fan base a bit more. :shades:

Interesting, I wonder which way people in the Columbia area would lean - Raleigh or Atlanta?

Would it follow the same division when the Panthers were created in drawing Redskins and Falcons fans away from both the Carolina's, or was that really just a Charlotte thing, and would South Carolinians feel less in common with Raleigh and therefore cheer the Thrashers?

Interesting, I wonder which way people in the Columbia area would lean - Raleigh or Atlanta?

Would it follow the same division when the Panthers were created in drawing Redskins and Falcons fans away from both the Carolina's, or was that really just a Charlotte thing, and would South Carolinians feel less in common with Raleigh and therefore cheer the Thrashers?

I would think most people in the Carolinas would cheer for Atlanta. For some reason there just seems to be more of a rivalry btw SC and NC. Even though Ga falsely claims to be the peach state...

I would think most people in the Carolinas would cheer for Atlanta. For some reason there just seems to be more of a rivalry btw SC and NC. Even though Ga falsely claims to be the peach state...

In a post on this site is an awesome graphic, nation wide, of the NFL and MLB sports teams loyalties, color coded. According to it, most South Carolinians root for the Panthers nowadays, as does NC (with certain NE areas still Redskins fans). This was important because you could argue that Charlotte getting an MLB team could hope to sway a much larger fanbase than the Charlotte metro area alone could support. Assuming it would take fans away from the Braves and a handful of Nationals in the Carolina's the same way the Panthers did in football. Anyway, the point there was that most SC football fans pull for the Panther's and not the Falcons, but you are right, I could see hockey being the other way around. As to the NC/SC rivalry, I think that is diminishing, or at least I hope that it is, both are good states in different ways, but I think we will grow closer in the future.

Thanks, could not find the map links on short notice, interesting that the northwestern half of SC pulls for the Bobcats, would have thought they'd be apathetic like the southeatern half. :) I really wish we could get the old Hornets name and colors back, I am partial to them, and the Hornets name itself is tied to Charlotte, and inappropriate for another city. Anyway, I guess the articles on the SC Panther fanbase make a certain sense, another generation should do the trick.

I had moved out of NC when the Panthers became the new expansion here, and I did not really care about them for several years, but they did eventually win me over from afar, and I think it was because it becomes harder and harder to see some other team you don't like pound on a home team (NC has always felt like home where ever I have been). That, and they had quite a few players who were actually local, which makes it more of a home team, as was mentioned earlier in this thread about the players from Columbia.

In a post on this site is an awesome graphic, nation wide, of the NFL and MLB sports teams loyalties, color coded. According to it, most South Carolinians root for the Panthers nowadays, as does NC (with certain NE areas still Redskins fans). This was important because you could argue that Charlotte getting an MLB team could hope to sway a much larger fanbase than the Charlotte metro area alone could support. Assuming it would take fans away from the Braves and a handful of Nationals in the Carolina's the same way the Panthers did in football. Anyway, the point there was that most SC football fans pull for the Panther's and not the Falcons, but you are right, I could see hockey being the other way around. As to the NC/SC rivalry, I think that is diminishing, or at least I hope that it is, both are good states in different ways, but I think we will grow closer in the future.

I can agree most of S.C. does root for the panthers but I think the Bob Cats in Columbia as far as a fan base is a lost cause. I don't really see too many Columbians won over by the Bob Cats. And I think what helped the Panthers out because the Redskins are just plain out sorry nowadays. I don't see Columbia feeling anything for the Hurricanes also. Raliegh is just too far!!!!! I think professional teams have a better chance staying in N.C. if there in Charlotte because it can rely on numerous cities in the Carolina. Who ever came up with the panthers was smart by not labeling it Charlotte Panthers and just keeping it Carolina as a whole. But on one side it kinda hurts Charlotte because no one outside of the Carolinas hardly knows what Carolina city is home to the panthers.

Agreed, not even sure the Bobcats will catch on in Charlotte, though I am guessing attendance is good there so far. If we had the old Hornets name and uniforms, I might feel a little differently. Just curious, is there the Columbia/Greenville bitter rivalry (or other) as with Raleigh and Charlotte in NC?

Agreed, not even sure the Bobcats will catch on in Charlotte, though I am guessing attendance is good there so far. If we had the old Hornets name and uniforms, I might feel a little differently. Just curious, is there the Columbia/Greenville bitter rivalry (or other) as with Raleigh and Charlotte in NC?

There sure is; just read some of the posts on here and some other forums. Alot of it has to do with the rivalry between Carolina and Clemson, but the 2 cities are also diametrically opposed, politically, with Columbia being heavily Democratic and Greenville, heavily Republican.

^But overall, like Charlotte and Raleigh, the two cities have more similarities than differences. You really can't have too drastic a difference in a state as small as ours.

There are similarities, but the way those cities have been developed so far is pretty different.... Charlotte is one core city like Columbia, where Raleigh has to share the spotlight with Durham much like Greenville must share it with Spartanburg.

I think the major difference is that its a lot less political in SC. That Charlotte-Raleigh rivalry is much more of a polarizing factor in NC than any Greenville-Columbia rivalry. We do pick on each other, but I think as a state we get along fairly well.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on the game between the Bob Cats and the Pacers. I did attend the exhibition game again this year and the turn out was huge. Columbia's own Jermaine Oneal played a good hard game. With a free to the public after party fill with players from the Pacers and Bob Cats.

Archived