Mexican Consulate

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So will this be the first Consulate in Arkansas?

I've heard about a French Consulate in Little Rock as well, but I haven't seen anything concrete.

I've never thought about the possiblity of any other consulate in Little Rock. I don't think we have enough foreign people until recent times to get any consulates.

Do you guys remember when there was talk of building a Chinatown USA in Little Rock (i think it was SE part of town)?

There isn't a large enough Asian population and the Asian population in LR seems rather well-integrated into American society. We've really just gotten enough Hispanic population to see clustering of the Hispanic population and Hispanic-owned businesses catering to other Spanish-speaking immigrants.

I'd love to see it, though.

There isn't a large enough Asian population and the Asian population in LR seems rather well-integrated into American society. We've really just gotten enough Hispanic population to see clustering of the Hispanic population and Hispanic-owned businesses catering to other Spanish-speaking immigrants.

I'd love to see it, though.

Census Stats estimate there were 5,941 Asians in the Little Rock Metro in 2000. NWA had 4,979 and Ft. Smith had 4,732.

In comparison a city with an asian ethnic enclave, Oklahoma City (Asia District) had 27,372 Asians in 2000.

Do you guys remember when there was talk of building a Chinatown USA in Little Rock (i think it was SE part of town)?

I remember when the annocement was made many years ago. Go to arkansasbusiness.com and type in chinatown in their archives search. It was August 8,1994 when a group of chinese investors proposed a $500 million chinatown in southeast Little Rock.

I remember when the annocement was made many years ago. Go to arkansasbusiness.com and type in chinatown in their archives search. It was August 8,1994 when a group of chinese investors proposed a $500 million chinatown in southeast Little Rock.

I'm guessing this idea was scraped.

This probably would have turned out to be an "artificial" chinatown like Las Vegas's. I always like the historical, old one's like Vancouver and San Francisco's.

It still would have been neat to see.

• 2 months later...

Mcheiss, there was an article I read earlier this week explaining the reason Little Rock was chosen. It was chosen as a central location to serve the Hispanic populations of Memphis, OKC, Tulsa, and Arkansas and thus kind of provided a central location in that region. It kind of made sense to me, I didn't realize they didn't intend to create a consulate in Oklahoma or Memphis anytime soon.

• 6 months later...

To paraphrase Kent Brockman of The Simpsons:

"And I for one welcome our new Mexican overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground taco caves."

:P:lol::lol::P

Seriously, I think it's pretty cool that LR got a consulate. I'd like to visit, if they give tours or something.

Archived