Clearing on Tharpe

laneyj34

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on the location scouted by laneyj34, this project is different than the multi-family proposed for the area behind the Old Winn-Dixie on Tharpe? Did that project ever get approval? I believe it was really on Joyner ("oh oh oh it's tom joyner morning show") and I/we thought the neighborhood was really gonna fuss about it. Anyone know anything about it?

Also the old W-D was going to be sub-divided into two stores I believe. Has that occurred? I'm still betting one of those is going to be a Fred's, like it or not.

Would you all be thinking about these two developments????

:)

Major Ongoing and Proposed Developments in Tallahassee and Leon County

Map ID: 97

Tax ID: 21-26-20-001-0000

Project Name: Tharpe Street Condominiums

General Type: Residential

Total Acres: 5.88

Lots/Units: 81 Type: Condo

Lots/Units: Type:

SF: Type:

SF: Type: Status: Under Review

Location/Address: South side of West Tharpe Street, approx. 500 feet east of Old Bainbridge Road

Jurisdiction: City

Review: Type B

Additional IDs: 21-26-20-028-0000

Comments: Site Plan (TSP050073) received 09/15/2005; Pre-Submittal (TPA050053) received 04/29/2005

Map ID: 98

Tax ID: 21-23-20-417-0000

Project Name: Park Terrace Townhomes

General Type: Residential

Total Acres: 13.90

Lots/Units: 82 Type: Townhouse

Lots/Units: Type:

SF: Type:

SF: Type: Status: Under Review

Location/Address: East side of Joyner Drive, north of and adjacent to the Old Bainbridge Square Shopping Center

Jurisdiction: City

Review: Type B

Additional IDs:

Comments: Site Plan (TSP060026) received 03/10/2006; Pre-Submittal (TPA050144) completed 11/17/2005

Yeah buddy that's it. Good Find! Looks like the one on Joyner (Park Terrace) was submitted almost 7 months later than the Tharpe St. Condos (I hope they change that name.)

Also notice that Tharpe St. will have 81 units on 5.88 acres while Park Terrace will have 82 units on twice as much land.....13.90 acres. Looks like Park Terrace will have more green space or they are being built on a very odd shaped lot. Anyway does anyone know if Park Terrace has gotten all of its approvals?

This is a tough one.

Condo's? Well it would seem these would be marketed toward the local working class and families, being placed in a already established family oriented area.

I understand Tharpe also houses the old Melrose Place Apartments, and Jefferson Commons, as well as having the Sterling University Grove Apartments (Downunder) nearby which are student oriented which makes this such a difficult question. But this area does have a good selection of schools (Ruediger (A), Raa (A), Griffin(A), Godby(?), and also Leon(A) so it wouldn't be strange for families to be attracted to the area also.

This is a much needed improvement for the Tharpe parcel. I wouldn't have guessed it was 5.88 acres just from passing, but I'm no expert. I'd love to see a few things along Tharpe torn down and rebuilt. Is this where the little buy-here-pay-here car lot used to be?

I think that was one of the things there. Now, if the one entrance off of Old Bainbridge is actually a street, rather than a gate, I'll be estatic, since it will mean not having to sit through the light at Tharpe.

I think like DD5 said, pricing may determine who exactly lives in these new places. I've got the feeling that more students than you think will live here. Without seeing a site plan or specs, I'd tend to think that the Parkview Terrace off Joyner will cost a little more than Tharpe Street Condos (please change that name.)

I like TJ's idea of "corralling" all the students into certain areas and I'd add West Tenn. to his list. Parts of that road are junky looking and could use some new development especially between White and B-town highway and the road can handle the capacity these new monster apts. would bring.

I think like DD5 said, pricing may determine who exactly lives in these new places. I've got the feeling that more students than you think will live here. Without seeing a site plan or specs, I'd tend to think that the Parkview Terrace off Joyner will cost a little more than Tharpe Street Condos (please change that name.)

Alot of students (or thier parents rather) have money to burn. I can also see landlords buy these places out and renting them to students. That is if they are buyable places. They may just be a rental complex :(

I'm with you in hoping these are not geared toward students. The local in me couldn't stand it, although I'm a student myself. In a perfect world I would have all student housing on Pensacola Street, South Adams, Appleyard Drive and NO WHERE ELSE!

What about Call Street (between Stadium Dr. and Tenn. St.). Lake Bradford looks so awful - I'd rather see shops at ground level with nice student housing above, then to accept what's there now.

What about Call Street (between Stadium Dr. and Tenn. St.). Lake Bradford looks so awful - I'd rather see shops at ground level with nice student housing above, then to accept what's there now.

I always had this dream of that area become some sort of student area. But a borders or a B&N, with maybe a grocery store (or another target) and a clothing store (gap or old navy). Add a coffee shop, some fast food, a diner, and perhaps a wireless cafe and you got college student heaven. The only issue is that the Tallahassee economy is too dependant on students. They want students to spread out and explore and buy things all over the city.

The area around lake bradford is perfect because it is near both FAMU and FSU.

I forgot Lake Bradford in my last spell, but it would be perfect for student living also. With DD's suggesions included. Although I'll debate the fact that the entire city is dependent on students. It seems more the Western portion is, especially the Tennessee St. Businesses and those on Pensacola St.

I forgot Lake Bradford in my last spell, but it would be perfect for student living also. With DD's suggesions included. Although I'll debate the fact that the entire city is dependent on students. It seems more the Western portion is, especially the Tennessee St. Businesses and those on Pensacola St.

It's the portion I deal with most unfortunately. I don't really get out to Killearn, Southwood, etc. No car = limited travel. :(

They have, it's now called Saw Mill Square

• 11 months later...

Does anyone know what has happened w/this project if anything? I rarely drive on that part of Tharpe.

Also Parkview Townhomes doesn't have their own thread, so I thought I'd put this here since it's very close to this project. For reference, Parkview Terrace (I think that was the name of the project) is proposed for the vacant land behind Old Bainbridge Sq....you know the eyesore plaza at Old B. and Tharpe. This project would be off Joyner Dr.

Anyway to your surprise I'm sure (again where's that dang sarcasm icon) the neighborhood is up in arms about this project and vows to fight it to the bitter end. I especially like the first comment made by the poster. I think this guy maybe the grand poo-bah of the local NIMBY tribe.

Ah, on preview, I see our good buddy mracca has stated what I feel. :)

In-fill Bad, Sprawl Good ?

Archived