Florida Subway System

gjoseph

Earlier today I was on google searching for "Florida Subway System" and I found this:

Map-05-18-06-638x825.gif

3Subway_escalator.jpg

a_Subway_station_lobby2_1.jpg

Here's some history on the system:

The Merritt Island Subway Authority [MISA] was created in 1958 by a forward looking Brevard County government in response to the rapid growth of America

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other cities in FL don't have a subway like Merritt Island's b/c it doesn't exist. The entire website is a hoax/joke.

Here's a fast explanation:

Graphic designer Steve Hall's tongue-in-cheek transit system has been the buzz of Brevard County since he posted it in March at misubwayauth.org

Read more about it here

Sorry. I do wish it were real.

But part of Miami extension train system are supposed to be underground if I remember correct.

That's what they said. I believe that is an extension that starts downtown and heads due west. The part in downtown is supposed to be underground and then it would go above ground once it leaves the DT area. That's what I read previously.

The only place in Florida that could conceivably have underground transportation is Tallahassee. Everywhere else in Florida has too shallow of a water table and anything underground would flood on a daily basis, not to mention during a hurricane. Same reason 95% of houses in Florida don't have basements!

The only place in Florida that could conceivably have underground transportation is Tallahassee. Everywhere else in Florida has too shallow of a water table and anything underground would flood on a daily basis, not to mention during a hurricane. Same reason 95% of houses in Florida don't have basements!

Good point. Now, while a subway is typically thought of as being mostly underground it does not technically have to be BELOW ground. For example, it could be a tunnel that is under dirt, but actually be above sea level, or nearly street level. The rail could run in a tunnnel built under a elevated street, or concieveably through a built up embankment or building making it technically a subway for that portion of the track. It could even be under water, like under the intercoastal from the main land to an island, effectivly making it a subway again. The key here is that it is possible to build the track, even likely that it will happen sometime, but it is highly unlikely that the stations would be underground, though it is possible.

Steve

I am trying to develop a piece of property on Thomasville Rd. in Tallahassee and found out that the water table is only about 17 feet below surface at an elevation of about 220 feet. My water retention area will have to be bigger to achieve the necessary volume. I thought I'd be much higher and drier in this part of Florida.

Archived