Crystal City and Pentagon City becoming condo hot spots

krazeeboi

The Express, a publication of the Washington Post, talks about how Crystal City and Pentagon City are slowly but surely becoming condo hot spots. Benefits touted include an excellent transportation and transit network and two new town squares. Also, retail has starting coming to area, following high-rise hotels and office parks built in the past few years. Pentago Row in Pentagon City and 23rd Street in Crystal City have also played significant roles in the revitalization of these twin cities. There also seems to be pent up demand in these two cities; many of the condos available in the building are older buildings that have to be renovated/updated. One new condo complex under construction, the 465-unit Eclipse on Center Park, is selling well, averaging 25+ units a month since May of last year.

As a result of BRAC, a lot of office space is expected to be vacated in the near future, and the Crystal City Planning Task Force wants to discover how to fill the voids and contribute to Crystal City's ongoing revitalization. There have been talks of using the empty spaces for new condo units, entertainment venues, and even a conference center. However, many say that Crystal City and Pentagon City lack soul and nighttime destinations.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pentago Row in Pentagon City and 23rd Street in Crystal City have also played significant roles in the revitalization of these twin cities. There also seems to be pent up demand in these two cities;

Not to nit-pick, but these aren't real incorporated cities. Just place names. Virginia can be confusing in that manner, but ahh well.

Pentagon City has a lot going for it. I know they finished a nice loft project last year and have a bigger condo project going up right now, looks to be about 10 stories and not yet topped out. When I worked part time at Nordstrom in the mall, there was a view out the employee lounge that was fantastic, it was a dense looking skyline.

Crystal City has a lot of potential too. If they can add more street retail along with the restaurants and make the sterile part on the airport side of route 1 better, than it will be a lot better. That corridor has a lot of potential especially if they can improve the mass transit.

The Metropolitan Park development in Pentagon City is a huge 10 phase development, I think the first phase of this is what I was talking about. I don't know how far along they are b/c I've seen that the first phase is U/C, but I've seen a building called The Metropolitan so I don't know what's up, but it's a 10 phase development with large condos and apartments and all of them are pretty big. The area that this is going on is pretty much just a field right now, so when that is filled up, it will make a HUGE difference in PC.

Archived