Music scene in Charlotte

ScottCLT

I went to see a show at the Visulite tonight -- The Noises 10. I brought along nine friends who for the most part had never heard them, and they were as impressed with the show as they would have been had they gone to see Coldplay.

I can't say that I've been terribly involved in the music scene here, nor do I claim to keep up with most of the bands around the area. Nevertheless, the Noises 10 is one of my favorite bands, and they're from right here in Charlotte. I can sing along to every word of every song, and they seem to have extreme alt-pop potential.

The Noises 10 appeared on a Time Magazine compilation for upcoming artists called "Know Music" along with O.A.R., Better than Ezra, and Aqualung. I've heard about the Sammies also, who I haven't heard or seen yet. But I know they have received airtime on KEXP in Seattle, one of the most famous public radio stations in the country.

So, my questions to you are...What do you think of the Charlotte music scene? What bands do you know from Charlotte? I know we are no Minneapolis, Athens, or Seattle, but after seeing this band for the fourth time tonight, it got me thinking...

And, for those who want to check The Noises 10 out...

http://www.myspace.com/thenoises10

("Horse Lattitudes" and "Everyday" are the crowd favorites)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm from New Jersey so I don't know much about the local music, but NC does play a pretty big role in today's hardcore/metal music scene. The only band I can think of that is from Charlotte is Hopesfall, some of the other bands though from NC are Between the Buried and Me, Beloved, He Is Legend, Classic Case, Code Seven, Glass Casket, etc...

While I dont know much about the music scene either, I do love seeing live bands, whether its at my local watering hole, or a cover band at the more trendy bars uptown.

I saw one of these shows at Jeffs bucket shop last month.

http://www.mindelixir.com/

http://www.mindelixir.com/showdates2.html

Think "8 mile". They do their own music to start off the night and have MC battles to close it out. Anyone can join in. Its not exactly my first choice in music but its very entertaining and goes against the stereotype that Charlotte is nothing but bankers and buttoned up clean fun. Thats what I like most about it. Many of these guys are from right here in Charlotte too. I only saw the one show at Jeffs, but they also play at the flying saucer and in Ashville.

Here's a vid of the show I was at. warning: explicit lyrics...

Back in the day.....oh so long ago.....I frequented the Roxy, Boardwalk Billy's, Yellow Rose Taven (on Tyvola) to see those cover bands that always seemed to end their set with "Free Bird".... :D

One of my favorite bands from that day was The Spongetones, a Beatles cover band (and other 60's groups). I became quite a follower of that band.

While going to UNCC I followed a band called "Gemi". The guitarist, Lee Person, was Jimi Hendrix come back from the dead. Just awesome. He moved to Austin, TX in the 90's to become part of that city's incredible music scene.

OK, I know the OP wasn't about past bands....sorry...

A couple years ago at Festival In The Park there was a band that really caught my attention. Two bands actually. The first band was called "Synthetic Pulse". I would compare their music to the likes of "Tool" but with a different touch. Yes, I have mellowed out over the years and don't much listen to this type of music now but the sound that these guys were echoing throughout the park that day was incredible. I mean, they were drawing quite a variety of listeners, young and older than me. Jaws were dropping. After their set I asked the bass player if they had any demos and scored a CD with 2 songs on it. I was impressed with these guys but have no idea where they are these days. Anyone know?

Oh, and band #2 that day at Festival in the Park was non other than THE SPONGEONES! 25 years later, original members, voices not quite as sharp as they once were, but they were still shelling out the bee-bop and rock sounds from the era I still find most endearing, the 60's.

^or BULLSHIP. :)

i really like the visualite as a venue, but most of the time the shows they pull in - aren't my cup o' tea. that said they do occasionally pull in something i really like... i.e. YO LA TENGO or FIREY FURNACES. anyways, this thursday (aug.17) a band called THE WALKMEN will be there... it should be a good show.

^or BULLSHIP. :)

i really like the visualite as a venue, but most of the time the shows they pull in - aren't my cup o' tea. that said they do occasionally pull in something i really like... i.e. YO LA TENGO or FIREY FURNACES. anyways, this thursday (aug.17) a band called THE WALKMEN will be there... it should be a good show.

I was at the Noises 10 show -- had no idea who I was going to see but a friend dragged me along. Visulite is one of the best venues in Charlotte in my opinion -- comfortable, plenty of toilets (I hate going to places where people drink and you spend half the night in the bathroom line because they have 2 toilets!), easy bar to get to, and quick bartenders. I try and support them often.

The Charlotte music scene has always been up and down -- most of our nightlife does not include live music, but there are plenty of great places with great bands. Check out the Milestone -- its been there since the 80's or maybe longer. Grungy as hell and great place to see punk or hardcore music.

I love Tremont Music Hall, but they have to do something about ventilation, the last time I went there, to see The Roots, it was so hot that being in the room where they played was unbearable -- I have no idea how the band made it through their sets...

I really love the Double Door and been to Tremont a few times. Its seems that many smaller cities with thriving music scenes have THE club that everyone gravitates to. Asheville has The Orange Peel, there are a few in Chapel Hill like Cat's Cradle and The Music Farm in Charleston among others. I have not been in Charlotte that long. What venue ranks as the most popular and sucessful in bringing in good bands? Or did we have one and its gone now?

I really love the Double Door and been to Tremont a few times. Its seems that many smaller cities with thriving music scenes have THE club that everyone gravitates to. Asheville has The Orange Peel, there are a few in Chapel Hill like Cat's Cradle and The Music Farm in Charleston among others. I have not been in Charlotte that long. What venue ranks as the most popular and sucessful in bringing in good bands? Or did we have one and its gone now?

charlotte has not had anything quite comparable to the examples you cite... @ least in my lifetime. @ age 14 i got into one of my first shows @ the 4808 club in charlotte (to see D.R.I.) which is now gone. i pretty much spent my highschool weekends @ the milestone. that place definently has the most underground history... it is charlottes version of CBGB... maybe even the south's version. the old 1313 club was a great place to see a show... very industrial vibe. it is gone as the arlington rises above where it once was. fat city, tremont, the room, the steeple... all had great moments. now, it seems like the evening muse, milestone, neighborhood theatre, tremont, and visualite are your best bet for live music. i think the visualite has the most potential to become something like one of your examples... but the booking needs to pull in better acts. in another thread, awhile back, i delved further into this delimma - that charlotte has. bottom line is, the shows that i would like to see come to charlotte already stop in chapel hill or asheville or both. i think as charlotte grows.. this is going to change.

I'm from New Jersey so I don't know much about the local music, but NC does play a pretty big role in today's hardcore/metal music scene. The only band I can think of that is from Charlotte is Hopesfall, some of the other bands though from NC are Between the Buried and Me, Beloved, He Is Legend, Classic Case, Code Seven, Glass Casket, etc...
'

And don't forget the older but distinguished mothership of "Corrosion of Conformity" or better known as "COC".

We have a few that cater to different music tastes and are set up in different ways.

I'm not the best at this since I've gotten old and don't go to that much live music anymore,but here is my take:

Double Door -- older crowd, blues and real old type R&B

Visulite -- varies some, but mostly "jam-bands"

Milestone -- alternative, hardcore

Tremont -- all types, all ages

Neighborhood Theatre -- other acts but lots of bluegrass and blues

charlotte has not had anything quite comparable to the examples you cite... @ least in my lifetime. @ age 14 i got into one of my first shows @ the 4808 club in charlotte (to see D.R.I.) which is now gone. i pretty much spent my highschool weekends @ the milestone. that place definently has the most underground history... it is charlottes version of CBGB... maybe even the south's version. the old 1313 club was a great place to see a show... very industrial vibe. it is gone as the arlington rises above where it once was. fat city, tremont, the room, the steeple... all had great moments. now, it seems like the evening muse, milestone, neighborhood theatre, tremont, and visualite are your best bet for live music. i think the visualite has the most potential to become something like one of your examples... but the booking needs to pull in better acts. in another thread, awhile back, i delved further into this delimma - that charlotte has. bottom line is, the shows that i would like to see come to charlotte already stop in chapel hill or asheville or both. i think as charlotte grows.. this is going to change.

D.R.I. :lol: Dirty Rotten Imbeciles for those of you wondering.

Ah man, now you're bringing back some memories. Every Fri/Sat. for me and my buddies would hit 13/13 or the milestone. Sometimes we would hit 4808(remember the big GWAR controversy :lol: ) as well. I think 13/13 had the best bands for the most part. Soundgarden, Janes Addiction, Chili Peppers, just to name a few played there before getting really big. Nothing beats seeing these bands in small clubs like that.

Anybody remember a funk/rock band from N.C. State called Johnny Quest?

Ah man, now you're bringing back some memories. Every Fri/Sat. for me and my buddies would hit 13/13 or the milestone.

Is that the same place that use to be PARK ELEVATOR club? I saw Alice In Chains there in 1992.

I haven't seen anyone mention AMO'S Southend. They still book bands now but I recall them booking some pretty big names back a few years ago. I've never been there but it looks like a decent place from the outside.

Is that the same place that use to be PARK ELEVATOR club? I saw Alice In Chains there in 1992.

I haven't seen anyone mention AMO'S Southend. They still book bands now but I recall them booking some pretty big names back a few years ago. I've never been there but it looks like a decent place from the outside.

I've been to Amos' Southend and it was all right. They usually have cover bands (sorry, "tribute" bands) and often some 106.5 average-modern-rock type bands. I think I heard they have just remodeled it though. I've been to one show at Eden, it was very hip. I often go to shows of a "friend of a friends' band" known as "One Big Love." http://1biglove.com

Some of the best shows that I've seen in Charlotte have been from Jump, Little Children. I went to their farewell show at the Neighborhood Theatre and was just amazed. There were probably a dozen people on stage...violins, cellos, double bass, horns...it was incredible. Too bad it was their farewell tour. Even though they are from Charleston, I still consider JLC a "local band." They have a lot of history with shows in Charlotte.

I love the Visulte as a venue, but I agree that it's usually jam bands or just something I'm not interested in in the least bit. The only shows I ever go to watch there are the Noises 10, Modern Skirts, The Whigs, Trances Arc, etc. And they seem to all travel in packs and play together on the same night.

I had free tickets to the Walkmen on Thursday. They are playing with the Sammies. I'm going to be in Minneapolis that night, though (Ugh...I travel so much it's like I hardly even live in Charlotte anymore. Iowa City is my home for tonight).

Actually Neurosis is from Oakland. COC is indeed from Raleigh. The Sex Police were from Chapel Hill and my sister works with one of the horn players. John Plymale, the lead singer/guitar player, owns a recording studio up here. Johnny Quest had members from all over the Triangle. The bass player Jack owned Poindexter Records in Durham (maybe one of the best record stores ever in NC-RIP). I believe Steve Hill, JQ drummer, did play drums in the band Hobex.

They played at App all the time! Loved all those bands and LOVED seeing shows at 13/13. Didn't Nirvana play there?

Did you ever see Sex Police? Same general time period as Johnny Quest -- I think they were from Chapel Hill.

I'm not sure about Nirvana, but I'm pretty sure Pearl Jam came there right before they hit it big. The one that kills me, is missing Radiohead at the Pterodactyl(sp?) club. :cry: It was right after their first album, I didn't know much about em. My best friends went, and I decided to do something else that night thinking they were probably just some one hit wonder band.

I'm not sure about Nirvana, but I'm pretty sure Pearl Jam came there right before they hit it big. The one that kills me, is missing Radiohead at the Pterodactyl(sp?) club. :cry: It was right after their first album, I didn't know much about em. My best friends went, and I decided to do something else that night thinking they were probably just some one hit wonder band.

That would have been a hellova show. I did see Dave Matthews at the Pterodactyl about 4 or 5 months before they hit it -- incredible band in a small setting like that. I had never heard of them and went with friends - was an instant and fanatical fan after that.

With all this discussion it seems like it has been a while since a band that hits it big has played small anywhere in town

With all this discussion it seems like it has been a while since a band that hits it big has played small anywhere in town

Yeah I wonder why that is. You think it has to do with the club owners not recognizing the next big, up and coming groups, or does the state of music just suck that bad right now. :dontknow:

Coldplay played Grady Cole before hitting it big though your assessment is largely right if you ask me. The reason for this IMO is rock did hit a slump period after the Seattle/Grunge era. It's the way rock works. We had a more liberal government and a good economy. No reason for the kiddies to get disillusioned and confused. Now that conservative government has been in power for a while there seems to be more rock bubbling to the surface however there doesn't appear to be a defined movement or epicenter of a movement like Seattle or Athens. Right now, I think there is a lot of experimentation with rock. A lot of bands are playing with New Wave, Glam, Southern, English sounds and other forms of rock. When some combo of these really sticks we'll probably see a new rise in rock popularity that hasn't been seen since the early 90's and once again bands will be playing Charlotte just before hitting it big. Just my opinion.

Yeah I wonder why that is. You think it has to do with the club owners not recognizing the next big, up and coming groups, or does the state of music just suck that bad right now. :dontknow:

I think the state of live music sucks right now. Hip-hop, DJ music, and pop are all huge and, i think, eclipse rock. I also think music is cyclical and rock or live music will make a resurgence. I also have to wonder if one of the reasons that super-bands are more rare than they used to be is the sheer volume of music and genres that are out there.

Coldplay played Grady Cole before hitting it big

No shiite? That must have been incredible...

I agree with both of you guys about music being cyclical. I knew we had some good stuff come out of the late 80's and early 90's but I kind of took it for granted at the time. It'll happen again, at least I hope it will. This might sound stupid, but do you guys think we might ever run out of music? If at some point, every possible combination of good sounding notes were to be played, wouldn't it get harder and harder to come up with something original? :blink: I told ya it sounded stupid. :lol:

Archived