Waterfall Shoppes

GRM76

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is hilarious, can't believe I missed it until just now.

I believe the strip mall with the Moe's and 'bucks is by True North.

Today my boss mentioned that we're submitting a proposal to do a strip mall somewhere nearby and so I'm going to do some driving around / research on the new ones going in around town. His quote was "I want to go in the opposite direction" and "we're going to make a statement." I'm not sure what that is going to entail, but hopefully something crazy and competely useful comes out of our studio.

Thankyewverymuch, I'll be here all week!

Seriously, I suspect that my changes of ever getting hired to do planning in the subject jurisdiction are pretty well kiboshed by my contributions herein. (Not that they are hiring.)

Maybe I'll become the next Dan Burden (with whom I worked some 25 years ago).

I believe the strip mall with the Moe's and 'bucks is by True North.

Today my boss mentioned that we're submitting a proposal to do a strip mall somewhere nearby and so I'm going to do some driving around / research on the new ones going in around town. His quote was "I want to go in the opposite direction" and "we're going to make a statement." I'm not sure what that is going to entail, but hopefully something crazy and competely useful comes out of our studio.

...crazy and completely useful...

236325674_f493c177d2_o.jpg

• 8 months later...

Fresh Market has made some initial progress. There's a building sign up as well as one on the marquee out by 28th St, and the small crimson-toned storefront (east end, opposite Staples) has been bricked in. Various construction vehicles in the parking lot.

No progress nor effect on ped walks or curb cuts.

I think the way they bricked up the 'crimson-toned' storefront is odd. I wonder why they didn't expand the canopy all the way across. It looks pretty crappy right now.

Joe

Fresh Market has made some initial progress. There's a building sign up as well as one on the marquee out by 28th St, and the small crimson-toned storefront (east end, opposite Staples) has been bricked in. Various construction vehicles in the parking lot.

No progress nor effect on ped walks or curb cuts.

To balance this thread a bit, Cascade has raised money locally (after receiving federal funds to build the first pathway) to develop a large network of walking/bike paths throughout the township AWAY from 28th Street. If you haven't driven along Cascade Road, Burton, Thornapple, even 30th Street, go take a look. These do provide at least recreational and exercise opportunities thoroughout the township and walking accessibility to and through part of Cascade Village. Actually, in building this network, Cascade is far ahead of a lot of other communities. Too bad that commitment couldn't expand to more commercial areas like the shopping center discussed above, but 28th has been a disaster in the making for decades, and not just in Cascade. I should know, my family moved out there in 1965 when Cascade and the eastern end of 28th St. was still consider the "country".

Also, when I go back to visit family, I want to stop by the Cascade Township offices and provide my professional opinion as a planner that the "old" portion of 28th Street through the Village is just screaming to be redeveloped into a new mixed used "downtown" or village center. I could see that area being transformed through time into retail, commercial, and residential development designed according to new urbanist standards. But someone has to have the vision and commitment to do it. I don't know if it has even crossed anyone's mind in the Township to start discussing such an idea. Anyone know?

And then there's that Tuffy's at the corner of Cascade Road and Thornapple, next to the park....

Here, here Explorer. Both sides of Cascade at the River are automotive repair places. I'd like to see both areas get bulldozed and put in some mixed use buildings with access to the river. I also thought a good thing was coming when the "Libation Station" was bought out. There was a press article about how the new owner was going to put up a new building with a win cellar and a mezzanine. As far as I can tell, those plans have been abandoned.

The Sheldon Cleaners on Thornapple River Dr. and Cascade is moving into the Family Fare strip center, so it'll be interesting to see if someone with vision steps up and does something nice with the building. The old Westdale building could be really nice if properly redone as well.

Joe

To balance this thread a bit, Cascade has raised money locally (after receiving federal funds to build the first pathway) to develop a large network of walking/bike paths throughout the township AWAY from 28th Street. If you haven't driven along Cascade Road, Burton, Thornapple, even 30th Street, go take a look. These do provide at least recreational and exercise opportunities thoroughout the township and walking accessibility to and through part of Cascade Village. Actually, in building this network, Cascade is far ahead of a lot of other communities. Too bad that commitment couldn't expand to more commercial areas like the shopping center discussed above, but 28th has been a disaster in the making for decades, and not just in Cascade. I should know, my family moved out there in 1965 when Cascade and the eastern end of 28th St. was still consider the "country".

Also, when I go back to visit family, I want to stop by the Cascade Township offices and provide my professional opinion as a planner that the "old" portion of 28th Street through the Village is just screaming to be redeveloped into a new mixed used "downtown" or village center. I could see that area being transformed through time into retail, commercial, and residential development designed according to new urbanist standards. But someone has to have the vision and commitment to do it. I don't know if it has even crossed anyone's mind in the Township to start discussing such an idea. Anyone know?

And then there's that Tuffy's at the corner of Cascade Road and Thornapple, next to the park....

There's major roadwork being done on 28th from roughly the shuttered Chinese place out front of Meijer east almost to the "DT" area. Center left-turn-only lane (becoming a boulevard? to further Woodwardize the arterial??) It doesn't look like they're implementing brick pavers or faux antique street lights.

There's major roadwork being done on 28th from roughly the shuttered Chinese place out front of Meijer east almost to the "DT" area. Center left-turn-only lane (becoming a boulevard? to further Woodwardize the arterial??) It doesn't look like they're implementing brick pavers or faux antique street lights.

• 3 months later...

Schlepped over there today for a recon of the heralded free samples, produce, organics, et al.

Despite the NOLA-like climate today, there's a 3-piece combo performing outside in the parking lot.

In my view, this shopping center is badly designed (which may have been already noticed in my previous posts about trying to walk over there). This use does nothing to change that opinion. The parking lots shared by FM, Staples, and Party USA are packed, and the circulation is generally bad for that many vehicles.

(Here's a first: I was crossing a traffic aisle, tried to make eye contact with a SUV rolling towards me, finally waited it out. The driver was texting on her phone!)

As for the FM: plenty of deep green and wood-grain shades. Seems small and closed-in for a grocery store. (I would have left that smaller entrance open and glassy rather than cinderblock it up. That's where the check-outs put you out.) The store is very pretty, with many decorative accessories and vignettes full of artifacts up high above the merch. (Check out the setting just above the fresh fruit-to-go area.)

Olive bar: just like Fred. Green or red grapes: $2.99/lb. (At Fred they're a buck.) There's a deli and they'll make you a sandwich (I brought the menu home for the office fridge door). Couple guys making sushi. Bakery, meats, fresh flowers, whole-grain breads...a lot like a Whole foods, only smaller. I noticed many similar labels to Fred's international food aisles.

Heard many Southern accents; FM is based in North Carolina, and perhaps these were managers getting things up to speed.

The grind-your-own peanut or almond butter area looked interesting.

Fortunately the carts are about half-sized (similar to Fred's cute carts) and there are arm baskets as well.

Besides the near-miss with the texting junkie, there were a whole mess of cars entering and exiting and driving around. Party USA is taking advantage of the traffic to have a sidewalk sale, and Staples is doing a brisk business in the back-to-school stuff. I would think that Waterfall applies for another driveway permit real soon.

I was so excited about this place opening, then got there and thought what in the world was I so fired up about?? I am embarassed to admit I was sort of flattered that a

fancy-ish store like this would choose to open up in GR.

It was a very nice place but there was not a thing in there I don't think I could find somewhere else in town where I already shop. I guess it is convenient if you are over there but I tried a couple of their TFM (store brand) products because everything else I wanted to try I'd pretty much already had and I wasn't too impressed.

One of the managers said they had a store in Madison Heights I think and it didn't make it, so if I liked what I saw to come back and shop often. I thought that was just kinda weird.

The city of GR needed a new force main for the sanitary system. The ROW is full of utilities so the force main is being laid under the center left turn lane. Once that is done, the remainder of the roadway (4 lanes) will be repaved. End result will look just like before the work started, just new pavement.

I went there twice this weekend, once to check it out and once to purchase some steak/cheese/spinach/ham pinwheels because neither of my local D&Ws had them. I thought the place was great. Friendly people, nice food, nice decor, kinda pricey, but that is to be expected. I like it and I'll be back :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Haven't documented any enhancements lately. (Haven't been any to document.) But since construction is done, and I had business at Target, I hiked over there today.

Just for variety, I crossed at McD's. Here's the ped xing waiting area.

WP-1.jpg

Destination curb ramp. The textured dots are for the use of the blind (!!) so a ped can tell where the ramp is.

WP-2.jpg

A non-sighted ped would need a dog and a tracking device to find this pushbutton.

WP-3.jpg

Continuing on towards Target. On the right is Cold Stone Creamery.

WP-4.jpg

WP-5.jpg

Here's one of those storm drain pavement stencils. Dump no waste - drains to stream.

WP-6.jpg

WP-7.jpg

Whoops! Someone was in a hurry to turn that corner.

WP-8.jpg

A couple more motels have been added to the area near Target.

WP-9.jpg

A better look at the non-ADA-compliant median. I mean, the ADA ramp closely followed by a standard curb. (What were they thinking??)

WP-10.jpg

The corner of this wetland is full of floating pop bottles, Starbucks cups, plastic shopping bags, other debris.

WP-11.jpg

This is one of the motels, and the Target. Think you're gonna walk over there? Get back in that car!

WP-12.jpg

Time to walk back to the office. Here's Staple's parking lot headed towards BE.

WP-13.jpg

Check out the half-width sidewalk.

WP-14.jpg

Or is it a bumper guard?

WP-15.jpg

These perennials are very nice. Too bad there's no way to enjoy them.

WP-16.jpg

Another stand-in-the-muck ped waiting area. This one's exciting, as the right-turners headed towards the freeway check for traffic from the west...

WP-17.jpg

And one final waiting area to take me cross-country through the parking lots behind McD's.

WP-18.jpg

Damn I miss DT.

Waterfall Shoppes is one of the worst retail developments I've ever seen. The whole place just looks like cheap junk. The signs, the parking lots, the lack of landscaping, the big concrete lagoon, the poor layout, the cheaply made store facades, the poorly laid out drives as you go in, everything looks cheap. Whenever my wife wants to go to Target, I insist that we go to Alpine instead of 28th, because I just can't stand the place. :sick:

Waterfall Shoppes is one of the worst retail developments I've ever seen. The whole place just looks like cheap junk. The signs, the parking lots, the lack of landscaping, the big concrete lagoon, the poor layout, the cheaply made store facades, the poorly laid out drives as you go in, everything looks cheap. Whenever my wife wants to go to Target, I insist that we go to Alpine instead of 28th, because I just can't stand the place. :sick:

Archived