Nashville Topography

nashscan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

The Nashville Basin is Nashville, and most of Middle Tennessee south and east of Nashville. Here's a link.

http://www.swantrust.org/target.htm

I am trying to figure out what hill this is. This isn't the hill overlooking 65 and Old Hickory Blvd in Brentwood is it? Don't recall seeing an observatory, would be cool to check that out, take a photo perhaps.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to figure out what hill this is. This isn't the hill overlooking 65 and Old Hickory Blvd in Brentwood is it? Don't recall seeing an observatory, would be cool to check that out, take a photo perhaps.

no, this hill is on Granny White Pk. near Old Hickory blvd. I believe there is a sign on GWP about the observatory. I believe it would be north of OHB...whatever the direction is, it's "towards town".

P.S.- FYI- north Nashville is very high as well, my parents live just off Briley in Whites Creek at an elevation of 895', you can virtually look down on the core.

I recommend that anyone that hasn't gone to Radnor Lake from the Granny White side of Otter Creek, do so! The view of the lake with the hills all around it is very scenic.

If you want a dizzying view of northern Williamson County, do the following.

From Old Hickory Blvd., west of Franklin Rd., turn right on either Hillview Drive or S Hillview Drive (Across for O'Charley's). Follow this road up the hill until it intersects E Hillview and W Hillview Drive. Now turn around and face South. When I first topped this hill, all I could say was "Holy Crap". You feel like your driving off a cliff. This has to be one of the highest points in southern Davidson County.

I recommend that anyone that hasn't gone to Radnor Lake from the Granny White side of Otter Creek, do so! The view of the lake with the hills all around it is very scenic.

From Old Hickory Blvd., west of Franklin Rd., turn right on either Hillview Drive or S Hillview Drive (Across for O'Charley's). Follow this road up the hill until it intersects E Hillview and W Hillview Drive. Now turn around and face South. When I first topped this hill, all I could say was "Holy Crap". You feel like your driving off a cliff. This has to be one of the highest points in southern Davidson County.

i remember going to radnor lake... and i remember.... the huge tva power lines going right over the lake...

not the most scenic for "true" nature fans.

i remember going to radnor lake... and i remember.... the huge tva power lines going right over the lake...

not the most scenic for "true" nature fans.

At no point do TVA power lines go right over the lake. You can't even see the power lines from the West end of the lake, or any part of the lake for that matter. The lines are all to the South of the lake.

RL-5d.jpg

At no point do TVA power lines go right over the lake. You can't even see the power lines from the West end of the lake, or any part of the lake for that matter. The lines are all to the South of the lake.

RL-5d.jpg

are you sure?

from what i am trying to recollect my friend and i came off of granny white into the park. couldn't drive to far due to walking trails.. found our way to a bridge.. a walking bridge.. and i looked out at the lake and i saw powerlines.

i'll take friends up there just to scare them. the looks on their faces are priceless. waylon jennings's house used to be over there.

Don't forget the numerous caves that dot this region. Many believe they are tied to Mammouth Cave in Bowling Green, KY as we share the same rugged karst Limestone as that region in KY.

The only way the caves around here are tied to Mammoth Cave is that they are all limestone based caves. Mammoth Cave, as mammoth as it is does not cross state lines.

The only way the caves around here are tied to Mammoth Cave is that they are all limestone based caves. Mammoth Cave, as mammoth as it is does not cross state lines.

I don't think that has been proven. They have only explored what they believe to be half of the entire system. At least that is what I was told while growing up in that region. Limestone is the main deposit under the soil here. The same limestone vein that runs north-south from Central Kentucky down to Northern Mississippi and Alabama.

You could be right though, but I distinctly remember caves in the Franklin, KY area that are tied through underground streams to the karst regions to the north of Bowling Green.

Archived