Charlotte Restoration

cinco

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^that building that you's guy's are reffering to is very nice. i bet the view of uptown is first rate. you know that whole area around freedom and morehead has a ton of potential. here's an example of one old factory (again i don't know the name - but i'm sure one of you does) that HAS been restored. talk about an amazing building... i have heard that the inside is great. bravo to the owner(s) who saw this place fit to polish up and keep around.

restore024.jpg

i can't remember the name of this building, but she is on trade st. this building doesn't appear to be in major disrepair... but i get worried every time i pass this space and see it vacant. this is one of my favorite buildings uptown, and, IMO must be saved @ all costs. (i would love to see a cafe/restuarant or pub in one of these spaces). b/c this is on prime uptown real estate, it probably will be developed @ some point... if nothing else, i would like to see this building baked into a future project.

restore030.jpg

Great post. Really enjoyed the photo tour.

And good news: this building is in use, and not half bad inside. The upstairs is the office of the trustee of the bankruptcy court (the guy who distributes money to creditors) and the downstairs holds the local office of the sierra club, among other things. I don't know if it's fully occupied, but it's definitely got some tenants.

i can't remember the name of this building, but she is on trade st. this building doesn't appear to be in major disrepair... but i get worried every time i pass this space and see it vacant. this is one of my favorite buildings uptown, and, IMO must be saved @ all costs. (i would love to see a cafe/restuarant or pub in one of these spaces). b/c this is on prime uptown real estate, it probably will be developed @ some point... if nothing else, i would like to see this building baked into a future project.

restore030.jpg

Looks like a prime spot for an Irish pub :)

Hall house looks kinda dumpy today. But I suppose it was considered an upscale apartment building when it was constructed?

I love the older Hall House, but agree that it could be cleaned up a bit MZT. I still want to see it survive the wrecking ball. When I am walking by it, I am reminded of Philly a bit. I like both old and new in an Urban area. Charlotte is definately content on demolishing its history, so I guess I need to enjoy it while I can. :(

A2

I don't mind what goes there, but I think it should not be vacant for so long.

If you're talking about the green building on trade, it's not vacant. It's offices for the bankruptcy trustee and the sierra club and other people too. And it's not in bad shape inside.

If I were to get a building in Charlotte restored, it would be the Charlotte Coliseum. It has a likelihood of being destroyed, but it was only built in 1988.

But what in the world would go there? For one thing, I think its location works against it being reused. USC is having a tough time deciding whether to save and reuse the old coliseum in Columbia (which I think they should), and it's downtown.

• 6 months later...
I love the older Hall House, but agree that it could be cleaned up a bit MZT. I still want to see it survive the wrecking ball. When I am walking by it, I am reminded of Philly a bit. I like both old and new in an Urban area. Charlotte is definately content on demolishing its history, so I guess I need to enjoy it while I can. :(

A2

I read that and thought the same thing. I REALLY hope whoever buys it finds a way to do adaptive reuse. Downtown has such a short supply of beautiful old brick buildings. I'd love to see this brought back to it's heyday.

A really nice restored hotel would be cool, like the Westin in downtown Columbus.

Archived