Does Society cause Bad Development?

monsoon

I was in NYC in the SoHo district and saw a suburban style Duane Reddy (I may have mispeeled it), and it had a drive through as well. At least the Charlotte location will be mixed use with office on the 2nd floor.

If you would like to see "real city" drug stores in Charlotte all you have to do is walk to Tryon Street. There are both a CVS and Ekerds drug stores with no parking and no drive through.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the positive thing here is that is an 80 year old building. Its not as if CVS was allowed to come into downtown and do a suburban prototype. I know the site and those 20 spaces arent going to make it look horrible. This will definitely look nicer than the crap tire store thats there now.

Preserving the 80 year old building may have forced them to retain the parking in front. It isn't enough land to do any building on. So in this one case I will say it's okay for them to have parking. ONLY because they are preserving an historic structure. Had they torn down the old building in order to build a new CVS with no parking I would have been much more upset. Even though it is just an old tire shop I do think that it has a good lttle bit of character. Of course it wouldn't be the end of the world if they replaced the old parking lot with pavers and landscaping to create a small plaza in front of the store.

Society plays a role. No doubt. However, they don't make the final decisions. I do agree that society seems to just act as cattle. I know few people who invest much thought in the future of this city. That is why I am ecstatic about finding this website and skyscrapercity.com

• 3 months later...

Archived