SC politicos; Don't we deserve better

vicupstate

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And then we can throw in Bauer's lead foot, York County coroner Doug McKeown's drug charges, Orangeburg County Council chairman being indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of bribery and extortion, etc. In Georgia, former Mayor Bill Campbell is getting ready to serve a prison sentence, and of course we had Rep. McKinney's scuffle with Capitol Police. In North Carolina, there some shady stuff surrounding House Speaker Jim Black and campaign donations. I'd say that what's happening in South Carolina is symptomatic of what's going on in the nation at large: there's no sense of responsibility and accountability for public servants.

If you mean we deserve them because we elected them, I am in full agreement.

Ditto, here; for the most part we elect a bunch of crooks and liars to office because we have few choices. Most truly honest people don't want to run for office because of all the garbage they have to deal with in the legislature.

There are some notable exceptions to this trend, however; my representative, Todd Rutherford, has quietly worked against some of the problems in government and I'd love to see him move up to higher office. I also hold Gilda Cobb-Hunter and Mayor Bob in high esteem. There aren't many more, however. One thing I will tell everyone about Mayor Bob is that he gives of himself to the community in Columbia; maybe there have been a few financial faux pas', but Bob makes very little money as mayor and he has sacrificed the success of his own law practice in order to make Columbia a better city. He rarely turns down an invitation to meet with a group in the city, even if it's only for a few minutes.

Ditto, here; for the most part we elect a bunch of crooks and liars to office because we have few choices. Most truly honest people don't want to run for office because of all the garbage they have to deal with in the legislature.

No we elect "crooks and liars" because we want those sorts representing us, believing not in some sort of altruistic view of government, but because we want as much as possible out of it.

Lots of folks, in principle, believe in cutting the size of government, until it comes time to cut something they want, for example.

Everyone wants a "truly honest" person in office, until they start making choices that affect them negatively.

It's real fun to point at the dirty politicians, I'd rather point at myself.

Archived