Colorado Springs: Cooper Tower

RestedTraveler

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to a posting by a local nimby that I stumbled across...

There is a public meeting tomorrow night to discuss Cooper Tower's request to have it's height increased from 23-stories to 26-stories.

I can't wait :)

I've wanted to start getting active in the community again after a few months focused on job promotions and buying a house. This affords me the perfect opportunity.

I'm not worried. I've heard developers say that as long as you have the support of your neighbors, you'll be fine. Cooper Towers neighbors are Pikes Peak Place and City Hall. Cooper is golden.

• 6 months later...
According to a posting by a local nimby that I stumbled across...

There is a public meeting tomorrow night to discuss Cooper Tower's request to have it's height increased from 23-stories to 26-stories.

I can't wait :)

I've wanted to start getting active in the community again after a few months focused on job promotions and buying a house. This affords me the perfect opportunity.

I'm not worried. I've heard developers say that as long as you have the support of your neighbors, you'll be fine. Cooper Towers neighbors are Pikes Peak Place and City Hall. Cooper is golden.

If COS is anything like Greenville, none of the proposed projects are getting off of the ground. We actually witnessed the dismantling and removal of a tower crane here in Greenville this past week from the Peacock Hotel & Spa project which suddenly ran agound in the blustery sea of financial woes that are troubling the industry. They had already driven piles and begun to pour concrete columns...and now it just sits idle. :cry:

It's hard to say what the status of Cooper Tower is. The website is still up and there haven't been any officials announcements saying that the project has been scrapped or delayed. Obviously, though, the economy is not doing well. El Paso County is on track to set another record year for foreclosures. This isn't a great time to be trying to sell pricey condo's. I still have hope for Cooper Tower. A similar project called Pikes Peak Place was also proposed for the lot next door. I'm less optimistic about it's future. The project may not be dead, but it's fair to say it's on indefinite hold.

HMM i did a search with the search feature of the business journal on cooper, and found this snippit

Reworked Cooper Tower

A revised 22-story Cooper Tower development plan was approved by the city's planning department reviewers and by City Council.

Following multiple public meetings and a complex entitlement process, Realty Development Services announced that its residential condominium sales office will open at 28 N. Tejon Street during the first quarter 2008.

A three-level above-grade parking garage, nine stories of hotel, amenity and meeting facilities and another nine floors of residential condominiums selling for about $400 per square foot are planned. The total cost for the project is just under $100 million, said RDS vice president Steve Boyette.

here

http://www.csbj.com/story.cfm?id=15458

It seems it was news from Q4 2007

and this from 12-7-2007

http://www.csbj.com/story.cfm?id=15369&amp...r%20and%20tower

Cooper-Tower-B.jpg

the article is very optomistic. it is 5 months old, but I have not found any coffin nails yet

• 1 year later...

The recession killed this project. The developer scrapped it just weeks after getting the go ahead from the city to start construction. The developer went bankrupt and left town.

The good news is the old Cooper Theater, which was to be the site of Cooper Tower, is bustling with life in the form of a unique new gym, complete with a huge climbing wall.

Archived