Torrence Village

jednc

Does anyone know any more info about Torrence Village Shopping Center at Exit 23 in Huntersville? I saw in the paper (Doug Smith) that there will be a Walgreens, Starbucks, and a Five Guys (I love me some Five Guys). There should be room for plenty more...anyone know anything else about this project?

The latest I've heard is that ground breaks any day now and they're looking for a June '07 completion.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you find any further info on Torrence Village? I'm searching too!

Thanks

Unfortunately the original info has disappeared, so here it is again.

When this project was first announced in May 2005, it was called Mercado at Huntersville and was to be 90,000 sq ft of fairly high end shops. It was supposed to have opened in spring of this year and there have been a couple of signs there advertizing for the property since the project was annnounced. It has become obvious this project won't be built. The original rendering of the project as well as any mention of it has disappeared from the Ghazi website, though you can still find mention of it in the various search engine caches.

Ghazi has now decided to reannounce the project as Torrence Village. A more generic name and more generic looking project. It is also smaller than what the Mercado would have been. My guess is that Ghazi could not line up the vendors to support the original project and has scaled it back. And the timing seems to have co-incided exactly with the decision of the other developers in Rosedale to begin construction of the Market Place II project and what looks like a significant amount of residential to go with it.

Frankly, like the Mercado at Huntersville project, I would be surprised if Torrence Village will be built anytime soon, if ever.

Ghazi has now decided to reannounce the project as Torrence Village. A more generic name and more generic looking project. It is also smaller than what the Mercado would have been. My guess is that Ghazi could not line up the vendors to support the original project and has scaled it back. And the timing seems to have co-incided exactly with the decision of the other developers in Rosedale to begin construction of the Market Place II project and what looks like a significant amount of residentiall to go with it.

Frankly, like the Mercado at Huntersville project, I would be surprised if Torrence Village will be built anytime soon, if ever.

Thanks for the info metro. I would disagree with two things though. One, I think this name is much LESS generic unless Mercado has some meaning I'm unaware of. The name Torrence is a great fit for Huntersville as it refers to one of the original families in north meck. The Hugh Torrence House still stands on Gilead Rd. and is (if I'm not mistaken) the oldest house in N. Meck. Co. As for (two) this project never being built, I read somewhere that Ghazi had their hands full with other projects and had let this shift to the back burner, but that tennants they already had signed were pushing them to move forward. This, I was led to believe, is the reason they have applied for permits and were planning to start work shortly. I wish now I could remember where I read this....since I can't post a link here. I apologize for that!

My opinion is that Torrence is already over used in the area and simply adding Crossing to that name shows a lack of imagination and that this project will be another yawner. There must be 100 strip malls in the area with that kind of name. Derita crossing for example. The Mercado would have been much nicer but it appears that if Ghazi is going to build this project, it is going to come out of a catalog. I hope the local government holds him to some pretty high standards.

My opinion is that Torrence is already over used in the area and simply adding Crossing to that name shows a lack of imagination and that this project will be another yawner. There must be 100 strip malls in the area with that kind of name. Derita crossing for example. The Mercado would have been much nicer but it appears that if Ghazi is going to build this project, it is going to come out of a catalog. I hope the local government holds him to some pretty high standards.

Well, again I sortof disagree with the idea that "Torrence" is over used in the area. I couldn't come up with anything else named with Torrence. I did a Google search of Torrence + Huntersville and really only three references came up. There is a greenway called Torrence Creek. There is Torrence Chapel Rd. (which isn't even in Huntersville), and there was a mention of Torrence Creek Elementary (which I honestly can't figure out where it is). Since I didn't find any retail/commercial developments with that name included...I guess I just wouldn't ever think to call that "over used".

As for where I read about the timeline for building this project, my Google search turned up that info as well. Here is the link.

I have to say...it sounds pretty definite to me. I guess we'll see pretty soon.

I have to say...it sounds pretty definite to me. I guess we'll see pretty soon.

Hmm that article, which was written in July says work is to start in 2 weeks. It's now late August, and there are no surveying spikes, no construction equipment, absolutely no activity on that parcel, and there is still a huge sign saying they are leasing 80,000 sq ft. It's starting to sound like the Mercado story, Part II.

• 4 weeks later...

It appears they have broken ground on this project. This means there are 3 very large projects being built on Gilead now. This neighborhood will be completely changed in look a year from now. I understand that Huntersville is requiring the developers to 4 lane this road, build sidewalks, and install lighting. This is something the NCDOT would not do for years, if ever.

I found this article about the Mercado:

http://www.athomecharlotte.com/charlottene...villebusprk.htm

After reading that it doesn't really sound that different than Torrence Village. This project was delayed for a year, and changed names..but it still really seems the same to me. The article from 2005 says that the Mercado would be "shops, restaurants, service providers and possibly a drugstore." That description could be used to describe Torrence Village. I did some more research and found the rezoning for Mercado that Ghazi got...and guess what...it is labeled Mercado...yet that siteplan is the same one he is using for Torrence Village.

My guess is that this project will have a similar tenet mix as his other projects...like Promenade in the University area.

Ghazi has applied for the building permit for Torrence Village but it has not been approved yet. So if construction has started it is probably just some site prep at this point.

jednc I would have to agree with you on the name. I think Torrence Village at least ties into a historic name in the area.

I'm just glad something is finally happening! Thanks for the research and the details of Mercado vs. Torrence Village. I'll be honest, I'm most excited about the Five Guys that's supposedly coming to this development. I love their burgers! Something else, at least unique to Huntersville, would be nice too. =)

I'm just glad something is finally happening! Thanks for the research and the details of Mercado vs. Torrence Village. I'll be honest, I'm most excited about the Five Guys that's supposedly coming to this development. I love their burgers! Something else, at least unique to Huntersville, would be nice too. =)

Yes, Five Guys is the best. I visit the one in Ballentyne at least twice a month. Come to think of it, right now is just the time for some Five Guys. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

It appears that one of the restaurants in there is going to be a 5 Guys. This entire stretch on the west side of I-77 is shaping up nicely, especially with the addition of the sidewalks, trees, and the plans for the greenway extension through the area. It's not quite as good as what Davidson did at exit 30, but certainly better than most of the new development in the Charlotte region.

Archived