Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nola17

What ever happened to West End

14 posts in this topic

I was driving around the Lakefront last week and I started thinking what is New Orleans going to do with West End. So I did some digging and found a redevelopment plan for West End. I'll try to get the renderings up by next week unless someone else does before then.

Here is the minimized rendering of the basic plan:

WESTENDPLANRENDERSMALL.JPG

I'd like to see something similar to what they have in Miami. Huge marinas with thousands of sailboats and cruisers, upscale and casual restaurants, etc... Miami even has their boat show on the water, where you can test drive the boats right there. Lake Ponchartrain would be a perfect location for the boat show, if it had the facilities to handle it.

This area just has so much potential. I'd like to see dozens of highrise condos, marinas, restaurants, night clubs, and retail. Perhaps even a boardwalk, rollerblade track, etc.... Let's bring the people back to the lakefront.

:D Thanks for the article.

I think New Orleans can use West End to its advantage by building more hotels and more attractions of some sort. I also think they should construct a brand new beach in West End.

New Orleans really has a lot of projects going on. The city just needs to use them.

What's going on with the L'Ultime project? There's a sign, but I have heard nothing about proposed groundbreaking.

What's going on with the L'Ultime project? There's a sign, but I have heard nothing about proposed groundbreaking.

I've wondered the same thing. If there's one thing I've learned from the recent unprecedented flurry of proposals, it is this:

1) This has never happened before in New Orleans, so my idea of how quickly the process should go is naive.

2) There's always a time when these projects go "quiet", then we wonder whatever happened to them... to be followed by a TP article about the groundbreaking.

So, check your TP for news of this project in the next 5 days or so. :D

Oh Thanks. I think that West End could become a popular travel detination. What would happen if Six Flags moves to the west end area?

What are the boundries to the "West End" area yall keep refering too ? Just curious. I think a Six Flags/Jazzland would go much better in that area near the lakefront.

I think West End is bordered to the north by the lake, south by hammond high way, east by lakeshore drive, and west by the Jefferson Orleans parish border.

Personally I would try to develope the area into a major tourist area.

I wonder which has more develpoers eyeing it? Southshore Harbor or West End?