Sears Midtown

memphis born

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be great if they can get the Sears Tower to look like that.

:cry:

I cannot understand why other cities,Boston,Dallas,Kansas City,Minnesota,Seattle and now Atlanta have been able to find developers for their Sears buildings but Memphis seems to have so much trouble getting interest from the right developers to make our Sears building what it should be a, Keystone mixed-use building. Is the center city commission doing enough to promote the building? does the land use control board not work well with out of town developers? does the Evergreen Historic District Association(EHDA) take the responsibility of ensuring our leaders are doing enough to promote the building?What exactly is the problem, maybe somebody on the board can tell me why we fall short on this Historic redevelopment. Here's the story in Atlanta about their Sears Building now being called Ponce Park http://www.the-stories.com/gbase/Expedite/...?oid=oid%3A6300

:cry:

I cannot understand why other cities,Boston,Dallas,Kansas City,Minnesota,Seattle and now Atlanta have been able to find developers for their Sears buildings but Memphis seems to have so much trouble getting interest from the right developers to make our Sears building what it should be a, Keystone mixed-use building. Is the center city commission doing enough to promote the building? does the land use control board not work well with out of town developers? does the Evergreen Historic District Association(EHDA) take the responsibility of ensuring our leaders are doing enough to promote the building?What exactly is the problem, maybe somebody on the board can tell me why we fall short on this Historic redevelopment. Here's the story in Atlanta about their Sears Building now being called Ponce Park http://www.the-stories.com/gbase/Expedite/...?oid=oid%3A6300

On more thing and forgive my rant These other cities have to be laughing aloud that Memphis is still behind the eight ball on this. Check out Ponce Park Website http://www.poncepark.com/proposal.html

^I have to say other cities probably don't know or even care that Memphis has an abandoned Sears Building. The problem with Memphis is the city is saturated with big box stores. 5 Sam's Clubs, 2 Costcos, and several Walmarts, Targets, Best Buys, Circut Citys, etc. The only part of town that doesn't have these kind of businesses is Downtown/Midtown so theres hope the right developer will come along as the population in the area increases.

^I have to say other cities probably don't know or even care that Memphis has an abandoned Sears Building. The problem with Memphis is the city is saturated with big box stores. 5 Sam's Clubs, 2 Costcos, and several Walmarts, Targets, Best Buys, Circut Citys, etc. The only part of town that doesn't have these kind of businesses is Downtown/Midtown so theres hope the right developer will come along as the population in the area increases.

Also, the neighborhood it's in is not very attractive, at least no the West side of Cleveland. There's several developers who have been interested in the site. I'm not sure the reason why no one has moved forward yet.

I also wonder what condition the other buildings were in, maybe they were in better condition than the one here. I heard there's a tree growing in the middle of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, the neighborhood it's in is not very attractive, at least no the West side of Cleveland. There's several developers who have been interested in the site. I'm not sure the reason why no one has moved forward yet.

I also wonder what condition the other buildings were in, maybe they were in better condition than the one here. I heard there's a tree growing in the middle of it.

I have read one of the major problems is asbestos. Here's a look when it was in good shape surely someone can restore it. http://www.municipalfilms.com/sears.html I Hope I hit Powerball I would definetly redevelop it. :P

Archived