North Charleston

Spartan

I was in Charleston, well North Charleston that is, and I had a couple of hours to kill. Having never spent much time there, I decided to wander around and see what there was to see. N Chas is experiencing a lot of redevelopment, particularly along Montague Ave near International Drive. There are several new buidings going up along that road. I checked out the new Tangier outlet mall. It was nice. There are a few other new shopping centers in that area.

I also explored the Olde North Charleston area. I like how they spell old with an "e" considering the places was largely undeveloped until the mid 20th century. Anyway, despite N Charelston's bad first impression, its realy not that bad of a place. The homes near the Park Circle were nice and they solid middle class homes. North Charleston apparantly has a lot of churches, which I did not know about.

North Charleston has recently completed a nice streetscapeing project in its "downtown" area from Park Circle to Virginia Ave. Its obviously in a transitional phase, but it is improving. The area to the SE of Park Circle and South of "downtown" had some attractive homes. It appeared to be a safe neighborhood, and diverse too. I saw a young white lady pushing her child in a stroller, and then some black kids playing in the street not too far away. Some old people were also out enjoying one of the parks there. I think it was Quartermaster Park (Quaterman?). There were some nice cars and well-maintained houses in this area too. It varies in consistancy. The northern area seemed similar, but slightly lower income in nature. Once you cross Noisette Creek going south it gets into a more shady area (and I dont mean covered in trees).

I wandered down to the Naval base as well. It looks like it could be a really cool area. It has a very northern/industrial feel to it with the old warehouses and rail lines and such which you don't get in any southern city. Its still extremely crappy though. They have made the entrance on McMillan attractive enough I suppose, but the Hunley's building stands out like a sore thumb at this point in time. Right now, that is the only reason any visitor would ever be in that area. Like I said though, this area could be extremely cool.

I went over to check out Riverfront Park too. This was a nice place. The stage area is cool, and they made blatant efforts to show that it is safe by mounting cameras in plain sight. There was a family and a few other random people enjoying this park too. The area behind it, which I assume was housing for the base commanders, was pretty cool. lots of nice houses that need to be fixed up. Lots of old oaks and such. its still under construction though, as half of the park was fenced off, and uncompleted. There were some buildings facing the park that they want to sell to restaruants (which would be pretty cool).

There is a 5 lane section of Rivers Ave that actually felt like a small town for a second, and not a blighted suburb.

There is a huge development going in what I assume (based on aerial photos) was an old barrack area between Rivers Ave and Spruill, south of Helm St and north of McMillian. Look for Hilliyard Dr and Gumm St on your maps. I have no idea what they are doing there. I assume it is residential in nature.

Don't misunderstand my statements here. North Charleston has a ton of work to do. Much of it feels like it hasn't be touched since it was built in the 60s. Dorchester Rd is particularly bad. Rivers Ave. leaves much to be desired. Meeting St is kinda scary (I didn't venture down this road). I know its not a main drag, but you'd think that it would be a more impressive road given its status on the peninsula. The general impression I got is that the closer you get to the Neck area, the worse the blight is. I didn't venture into Charleston Heights, as I do have some common sense about me.

My point IS that there are some bright spots, and North Charleston seems to be making an effort to improve itself, which is a good thing. I know alot of us, myself included, tend to hate on North Charleston alot, but like it or not, it is an important municipality in the Charleston Metro, and its success is only going to be good for everyone. I think I am going to not be so quick to dismiss it in the future.

There is a lot of construction going on in North Charleston. I would not be opposed to a projects thread dedicated to it.

I have quite a few pictures which I will post soon. Maybe tonight if I get some time, but most likely tomorrow. They include Quartermaster Park, "downtown" the naval base, Riverfront Park, some houses, etc.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said, Spartan. I never have thought that N. Chas was blight and unimportant. However, the crime rate is the highest in the metro area...which gives the city the negative perception it has.

I really do think that if the north area was just another section of the city of Chas, many areas including Olde N. Chas would not have been forgotten.

• 1 month later...

Ok, as I promised, here are those pics from North Charleston. As you will see, its really not such a bad place.

Quarterman Park

DSC00720_small.jpg

DSC00722_small.jpg

DSC00723_small.jpg

DSC00727_small.jpg

They will have to address this issue. Its too small, and the other side of this bridge looks more blighted

DSC00725_small.jpg

"downtown"

DSC00734_small.jpg

DSC00738_small.jpg

DSC00739_small.jpg

DSC00741_small.jpg

DSC00745_small.jpg

Entering the old Navy Base, the signs are directing me to Riverfront park

DSC00748_small.jpg

Riverfront Park.... the parking was sort of hard to find. The park is also only half way completed

DSC00751_small.jpg

the walkway into Riverfront Park

DSC00752_small.jpg

DSC00753_small.jpg

DSC00755_small.jpg

from the end of the pier

south

DSC00756_small.jpg

north

DSC00759_small.jpg

VERY obviously placed cameras

DSC00760_small.jpg

Art

DSC00761_small.jpg

a bench

DSC00763_small.jpg

DSC00765_small.jpg

a weird bunker like thing. Not sure what this was about

DSC00768_small.jpg

the stage

DSC00769_small.jpg

distrubing art

DSC00772_small.jpg

the stage

DSC00780_small.jpg

space for lease (the sign suggests a restaurant!)

DSC00781_small.jpg

officer's house

DSC00789_small.jpg

warehouses

DSC00794_small.jpg

power station

DSC00796_small.jpg

the Hunley Museam sticks out majorly. Its the only NEW building in the area.

DSC00806_small.jpg

other buildings

DSC00811_small.jpg

you can see from these that there is a lot of potential in North Charleston. As I said before, it has lots of bad areas and probably the worst blight that SC has to offer. It really sucks in a lot of places. My point is that N Chas can still improve its situation, and I think its taking steps in a long term process to make that happen.

the Hunley Museam sticks out majorly. Its the only NEW building in the area.

DSC00806_small.jpg

Thats actually Bldg 400 which houses DHEC/OCRM offices, College of the Building Arts and a couple of other tenants. The Lasch Conservatory is where the Hunley is being held. The "museum" does not yet exist.

:blink: Uhhh...the art needs to go, I think. The park is looking great, and in the future, couples and families will want to come here for an outing since it appears so quiet and serene. The bunker that you referred to is supposed to be a monument or memorial for local WWII veterans or all veterans, I believe. As you can see, much work still needs to be done with utilities in burying lines and mounting aesthetically appealing light posts and stoplights. There is great potential for this area of Chas...I feel that if this were in the city of Chas, this park would be completed already. Just my gut instinct, of course. ;)

Thats actually Bldg 400 which houses DHEC/OCRM offices, College of the Building Arts and a couple of other tenants. The Lasch Conservatory is where the Hunley is being held. The "museum" does not yet exist.

Ah. Well they need to specify. The signs made it sound like there was a museum somewhere, and being that it was the only new building in the area, I jumped to conclusions.

:blink: Uhhh...the art needs to go, I think. The park is looking great, and in the future, couples and families will want to come here for an outing since it appears so quiet and serene. The bunker that you referred to is supposed to be a monument or memorial for local WWII veterans or all veterans, I believe. As you can see, much work still needs to be done with utilities in burying lines and mounting aesthetically appealing light posts and stoplights. There is great potential for this area of Chas...I feel that if this were in the city of Chas, this park would be completed already. Just my gut instinct, of course. ;)

Most of the art in Riverside Park was very nice. Some of it felt a little forced. There were lost of cool nautical and industrial looking things that I didn't photograph but it looked nice. That once piece of art was horrendous and it needs to go.

I agree that if it were in Charleston it would probably be more than it is today. The officer's quarters area was very cool. Lots of huge live oaks and lots of nice historic houses. Probably they need fixing up, but its probably a good investmet too.

Interesting. Downtown reminds me of that town in the movie "House of Wax."

Is that piece of "disturbing art" supposed to resemble a virus, because that's what it looks like to me.

oh so u were one of the 12 people that saw that movie. i love horrors but since paris hilton was in it i could not watch it!!!!!! oh and that disturbing art makes me think of BLACK MAGIC :shok:

...Most of the art in Riverside Park was very nice. Some of it felt a little forced. There were lost of cool nautical and industrial looking things that I didn't photograph but it looked nice. That once piece of art was horrendous and it needs to go...

That one piece which krazee says depicts a virus was the only one I thought needed to go, most definitely. It would even be horrendous at something like Spoleto. For a park that is supposed to be family-friendly, the piece does not fit in with the rest of the scenery and the other art exhibits.

oh so u were one of the 12 people that saw that movie. i love horrors but since paris hilton was in it i could not watch it!!!!!! oh and that disturbing art makes me think of BLACK MAGIC :shok:

a freind of mine rented it (i wasn't about to pay to see it), and that was just a weird movie. not very good either. the only horror movies that i truely like are the ones that mess with your mind like Silence of the Lambs or Saw. Parishilton was not a major character, but it was worth it to see her get impaled... by a stake.

It didnt remind me of that movie at all. It just felt like I was in some sort of small town with 2,000 people. Its a stark contrast to downtown Charleston.

North Charleston's murder rate right now, is 2 murders away from the citys all-time high. And its just September. Charleston's is also though. If Im not mistaken Charleston is 4 below its highest ever.

Anyone know where I can go to get an up to date census of the current populations of Charleston and North Charleston.

North Charleston's murder rate right now, is 2 murders away from the citys all-time high. And its just September. Charleston's is also though. If Im not mistaken Charleston is 4 below its highest ever.

Anyone know where I can go to get an up to date census of the current populations of Charleston and North Charleston.

The lastest Population Estimates from the Census can be found here: http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/

Thanks Spartan. I was really curious to know what the current population of "Charleston" the city would be this year since James Island is no longer included in the count. Last year it was something like 109,000. But if James Island is not included, it would probably be something more like 85 to 90,000 right. Im not sure what the population of James Island looks like.

Thanks Spartan. I was really curious to know what the current population of "Charleston" the city would be this year since James Island is no longer included in the count. Last year it was something like 109,000. But if James Island is not included, it would probably be something more like 85 to 90,000 right. Im not sure what the population of James Island looks like.

Unincorporated James Island was never counted in Charleston's population. The new town only ocupies about 40% of the island, the rest is Charleston still. The city puts itself at around 115,000 anyway.

Unincorporated James Island was never counted in Charleston's population. The new town only ocupies about 40% of the island, the rest is Charleston still. The city puts itself at around 115,000 anyway.

Exactly. The parts of James Island in the city of Chas are still in the city, with the current estimate of 115,000. The incorporation of James Island only included unincorporated areas of the barrier island. Thankfully, Chas's population is unaffected by JI and will continue to grow.

N. Chas's population was estimated at around 90,000 I believe.

Exactly. The parts of James Island in the city of Chas are still in the city, with the current estimate of 115,000. The incorporation of James Island only included unincorporated areas of the barrier island. Thankfully, Chas's population is unaffected by JI and will continue to grow.

N. Chas's population was estimated at around 90,000 I believe.

I thought N. Chas was around the mid 80s still.

Archived