Manchester Highway Proposal

dfwtiger

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a link to a article about a development on Manchester Highway:

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../608150307/1002

I knew it was a matter of time before this area would explode. City planners have the chance to do this one right. It's great news that more hotels are coming because there are not enough of them when we do have the major events (TSSAA, concerts, graduations). Joe B. Jackson has superb visibilty from the interstate and Manchester highway already has the upscale housing. A movie theater, office space, town center, restaurants creates the complete package. It seems as if the new trend of these developments is just that, a development. A living, working, community is great news, and it's about time.

Why?

Nashville and even Cool Springs would get it before here. Murfreesboro doesn't have the name value in America and it really hasn't got enough money to lure someone here. Of course, state incentive packages are good, but it is highly doubtful that we would get one considering the growth in Nashville and the intrest from major companies in it and of course....Cool Springs.

Murfreesboro just isn't in the spotlight enough to be a good HQ city. Regional HQ perhaps, but Corporate HQ not likely.

To alot of companies, Nashville and Cool Springs has more to offer.

After thinking about this development I think it's good, but too far out of the core to warrant any stopping of the presses. It is a "Urban" suburban style development. The best word would be Urban Sprawl. Which can be just as bad as suburban sprawl.

Nashville and even Cool Springs would get it before here. Murfreesboro doesn't have the name value in America and it really hasn't got enough money to lure someone here. Of course, state incentive packages are good, but it is highly doubtful that we would get one considering the growth in Nashville and the intrest from major companies in it and of course....Cool Springs.

Murfreesboro just isn't in the spotlight enough to be a good HQ city. Regional HQ perhaps, but Corporate HQ not likely.

After thinking about this development I think it's good, but too far out of the core to warrant any stopping of the presses. It is a "Urban" suburban style development. The best word would be Urban Sprawl. Which can be just as bad as suburban sprawl.

In my opinion, it already has a major headquarters with Middle Tennessee State. Large employer.....R&D money...and if they play the cards right...they could create a businesss incubator...creating spin off businesses from the university.

I see people on here all the time slam the way our city is going about attracting the type of development it seeks. We have a great asset in MTSU, a beautiful new area well suited for white collar development, and leaders who, like the way they are going about it or not, are actively working for this type of growth.

Maybe they are not from here or too young to remember, but something alot of people don't realize about the CoolSprings area is that prior to the mall and for a good amount of time after it came, there was virtually nothing there. If Franklin had not actively pursued business it may have still been a town of only eighteen thousand far removed from development's radar. Murfreesboro has a population and a tax base(money) much, much larger than Franklin's at that time. If Franklin could attract it as a small, small town sixteen years ago Murfreesboro certainly can now.

I'm not saying I want Murfreesboro to be another Franklin. However the very same people who criticize every move the leaders of this "hole" make shouldn't glorify the strengths of Franklin, when Murfreesboro is trying to make a better life for itself much the way Franklin did years ago. CoolSprings is going to fill up, and outside of downtown there aren't an abundance of attractive areas in Nashville proper. Murfreesboro is a little further out, but look at the way the research triangle in North Carolina developed. Should Murfreesboro just stand by and let it go elsewhere and be happy with being a bedroom community and even a suburb to a suburb? Will we get a corporate headquarters? Maybe, maybe not. I believe good things will result from all of this regardless, and I for one appreciate what the city is trying to do.

Edited by MurfRez

I see people on here all the time slam the way our city is going about attracting the type of development it seeks. We have a great asset in MTSU, a beautiful new area well suited for white collar development, and leaders who, like the way they are going about it or not, are actively working for this type of growth.

Maybe they are not from here or too young to remember, but something alot of people don't realize about the CoolSprings area is that prior to the mall and for a good amount of time after it came, there was virtually nothing there. If Franklin had not actively pursued business it may have still been a town of only eighteen thousand far removed from development's radar. Murfreesboro has a population and a tax base(money) much, much larger than Franklin's at that time. If Franklin could attract it as a small, small town sixteen years ago Murfreesboro certainly can now.

I'm not saying I want Murfreesboro to be another Franklin. However the very same people who criticize every move the leaders of this "hole" make shouldn't glorify the strengths of Franklin, when Murfreesboro is trying to make a better life for itself much the way Franklin did years ago. CoolSprings is going to fill up, and outside of downtown there aren't an abundance of attractive areas in Nashville proper. Murfreesboro is a little further out, but look at the way the research triangle in North Carolina developed. Should Murfreesboro just stand by and let it go elsewhere and be happy with being a bedroom community and even a suburb to a suburb? Will we get a corporate headquarters? Maybe, maybe not. I believe good things will result from all of this regardless, and I for one appreciate what the city is trying to do.

Exactly, this is why we have our own forum now in order to avoid the constant bashing. I'm very proud of the way Murfreesboro has stepped its game up and come out of Nashville's shadow. Every development won't be perfect for everyone, but atleast the development here remains strong. And dw you are right that Murfreesboro packs a powerful punch with MTSU being here. We have young professionals who love that school and will stay here because they like the area too.

I'm not bashing. Not once have I, or anyone else for that matter, said anything to bash Murfreesboro. But facts are facts, it is a sprawl monster that has the developers best intrest to look after, not yours and mine and our future. See it however you want to though. But if you think everything happening in Murfreesboro is the best that it can be and then not want to hear criticism about things, then fine. Whatever. But there is a right way to go about development, and there is a wrong way. Murfreesboro just happens to be doing the latter. Ask any urban development planner and they will agree. When it is all said and done, you Murfreesboro is still a suburb of Nashville either way you cut it. It just will not be able to compete with the national, and sometimes international, limelight that nashville gets. Regardless of how good a university is.

I respect your opinions, but if you want everything on here to be postive and glorious...then I hate to tell you...........it's not. Murfreesboro growth is out of control whether you want to believe it or not. And the developers have the final say on everything stinking thing here. Which is WRONG. But go ahead and love it now. Ten years from now, you will realize the mistake that is becoming Murfreesboro planning. Mark my words.

The only reason you guys think we are "bashing" Murfreesboro is because you are making a big deal over sprawl and poor planning. That goes against many on here and the way they think and believe. Not to mention it isn't exactly the smartest way to grow. You see Nashville poster crow over new "Urban" developments while the Murfreesboro gang is crowing over a new shopping center on the site of an old, torn down, historic landmark. Something just doesn't make sense here. LOL!!! I am sorry if you think I am bashing because I am not. I just want to see things done right here for a change. Instead of just letting the developers have their ways. Of course it would help if the developers weren't the ones making the decisions on the planning boards and city councils. Oh well. I guess I am passionate about things like this.

Edited by Lexy

I'm not bashing. Not once have I, or anyone else for that matter, said anything to bash Murfreesboro. But facts are facts, it is a sprawl monster that has the developers best intrest to look after, not yours and mine and our future.

What does and does not constitute a bash is clearly subjective. I would hope though that you'd be able to see why referring to someone's city, which they care deeply about, as "a sprawl monster" might come across as a bash. That said, I know you're sincere in your opinions about development, and I certainly welcome your input. Your very presence in the Murfreesboro subforum helps keep us going, and for that I truly thank you!

You and I have many differences of opinion on the subject of development. I believe that planning and zoning boards are one of the things currently wrong with our city, state, and nation. They serve to infringe on the property rights of citizens, both individuals and developers.

Some additional information about this development was posted today to the DNJ's Web site:

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...NEWS01/60816002.

The comments of the woman who lives near the proposed development are interesting.

Wow, this development is going to be much larger than I thought. Looks like Murfreesboro will have a Gateway entering the city and exiting the city (well not exactly). This project has been hush hush for some time, now I can see why. And there's no telling what's being planned for the southwest loop road once it is connected from 840 to Joe B. Jackson. Now I'm waiting for what's to come on the north side of the city.

Edited by Justiceham

I'm not bashing. Not once have I, or anyone else for that matter, said anything to bash Murfreesboro. But facts are facts, it is a sprawl monster that has the developers best intrest to look after, not yours and mine and our future. See it however you want to though. But if you think everything happening in Murfreesboro is the best that it can be and then not want to hear criticism about things, then fine. Whatever. But there is a right way to go about development, and there is a wrong way. Murfreesboro just happens to be doing the latter. Ask any urban development planner and they will agree. When it is all said and done, you Murfreesboro is still a suburb of Nashville either way you cut it. It just will not be able to compete with the national, and sometimes international, limelight that nashville gets. Regardless of how good a university is.

I respect your opinions, but if you want everything on here to be postive and glorious...then I hate to tell you...........it's not. Murfreesboro growth is out of control whether you want to believe it or not. And the developers have the final say on everything stinking thing here. Which is WRONG. But go ahead and love it now. Ten years from now, you will realize the mistake that is becoming Murfreesboro planning. Mark my words.

The only reason you guys think we are "bashing" Murfreesboro is because you are making a big deal over sprawl and poor planning. That goes against many on here and the way they think and believe. Not to mention it isn't exactly the smartest way to grow. You see Nashville poster crow over new "Urban" developments while the Murfreesboro gang is crowing over a new shopping center on the site of an old, torn down, historic landmark. Something just doesn't make sense here. LOL!!! I am sorry if you think I am bashing because I am not. I just want to see things done right here for a change. Instead of just letting the developers have their ways. Of course it would help if the developers weren't the ones making the decisions on the planning boards and city councils. Oh well. I guess I am passionate about things like this.

Ahhh and Murfreesobor is not alone. I think there are some interesting items going on in Nashville right now...

1. The Planning Director...in response to the Bqass, Berry, Sims building...has decided to go back and re-evaluate the plan just completed 6 months ago for SoBro. The 6 month old plan does not allow buildings at the height proposed by the developer. Man...a plan...with suggested building heights gets knocked out in 6 months. This sounds like developeres are taking hold.

2. The Planning Director has created site specific zoning. A new word for an old problem.....Planned Unit Developments. However, in this case, the director alone has review of the projects. Where is council and the planning commissioners? Now, he has proposed making a large section of Gallatin Pike site specific zoning. Man...it makes it easier for developers to get what they want when they only have to deal with one person...and not elected officials.

3. Sprawl is all over Nashville. When they consolidated in the early 60's...they took the liberty to see the whole county a gaint piece of land to develop. They allow the extension of water beyond the USD...even into other counties (a key to sprawl)...They allowed developers to build communities with little to no connectivity (By the way, a former Mayor of Murfreesboro won a lifetime achievement award fromt he American Planning Association for pushing connectivity when Murfreesboro first began to really grow after WWII) They had the chance to put some teeth into the urban services district and the rural services district.....instead...they were treated much the same....allowing development to reach the edges of the county.

4. Over 1,000 people in the downtown area participated in the Plan of Nashville... In this process, they expressed the need for a human scale in the downtown.....limiting the height of buildings. This has been blow out of the water with the signature and other tower proposals. For those of you who love height.....at the very least, they could have capped building heights downtwn but allowed higher buildings if they were certified LEED gold...or better. Could they set the example for the south....with the motto of growth incorporating energy efficency?

5. If Nashville is an example of an ever improving....expanding....new south...where is the progressive measures? Chicago and New York are busting with energy efficient green building...including affordable housing. Where is Nashville? As the largest and most progressive city in the region, are they setting the example for the Murfreesboro's of the area?

6. Where is light rail of bus rapid transit? Could Nashville be the leader and set an example for the region. With all of the explosive growth...you with think this would be a stronger discussion of the new Nashville urbanity.

Those in the boro would like to see things done right in Nashville too. Due to size and influence....they have a better chance of taking the lead and setting the example. If they had done a better job over the years...we would not have so many people flooding to the burbs or outlying cities.

Note of caution:

Think twice before throwing stones in glass houses.

Edited by dfwtiger

^ Funny. I haven't once threw a stone, or held Nashville over Murfreesboro head as the "Perfect" example. That's all that really needs to be said.

^What's even more funny is that you have defended your arguments twice when noone has even mentioned your name as the guilty party. I do have to agree that Nashville has not been the perfect role model as far as controlling sprawl but really what southern city has? (And I'm not talking about cities who don't have much sprawl by default simply because they are not growing economically)

^ Funny. I haven't once threw a stone, or held Nashville over Murfreesboro head as the "Perfect" example. That's all that really needs to be said.

I agree...it is quite funny. I did not take your statements as bashing at all. I took them for face value....based on your introduction. I read your statements as facts. You provided our readers and contributors with selective facts about Murfreesboro as I did, in return, for Nashville.

Conflict brings development. Your contributions are always insightful.

Cheers.

Justiceham...I agree. Our development pattern in America is a manifestation of capitalism. The built form we see each day is a reflection of our economic system; tempered only by regional and cultural differences. I agree that all cities, even New York and Chicago have issues with sprawl and poor development. To point out one over another is not really the point.

A good point of discussion is to look at where we have been and how we got to the development pattern of today. Of course, this varies by city and region. Another good point of discussion is to look at the failures of the past....learn from them...and look to other cities in the world to learn more about what step we can take to create a more sustainable future.

Lexy...I always appreciate your commentary. For the most part, I agree with your statements about Murfreesboro. However, I would like for you to provide some solutions. It is easy to point out the various mistakes of any human...to second guess the ways of man...and talk about the demise of future generations through the obvious mistakes of today. These criticisms are valid and important in order to change...but we can

Justiceham...I agree. Our development pattern in America is a manifestation of capitalism. The built form we see each day is a reflection of our economic system; tempered only by regional and cultural differences. I agree that all cities, even New York and Chicago have issues with sprawl and poor development. To point out one over another is not really the point.

Thankyou for your informative response. I believe there are people out there with some great ideas regarding controlling sprawl and really changing the game. Murfreesboro has its positives, but it would be great to have a true visionary or someone with experience come in and say this is all wrong, and provide a new layout to how things should look. It's kind of the way a professional interior designer can transform any room in a house so that it is usable, stylish, and makes sense.

Edited by Justiceham

I'm ok with citizens and developers coming up with aesthetic and architectural ideas for the city, but such a plan should in no way be binding on landowners. The city has no authority to tell me how my home or business should look.

Technically they do with zoning laws. That is the case with any new developments on the west side of Murfreesboro. You know, brick, no exposed siding, etc. But, they are a bit harder on the commercial developments than the residental developments. But, don't quote me on all this.

^ To me it doesn't matter if it's a residence or a business. It's still an infringement of the landowner's property rights. But you're right, it definitely seems to be more directed at businesses than residences in general. My assumption is that they would have a tougher time getting away with forcing aesthetic choices on residences.

^ Yeah. I think the place where they get residences is when a developer plops down a 100 lot (example size) subdivision and the city says only a certain percentage of the exterior can be vinyl siding and the rest is to be brick with trees and so on. Of course, zoning lawas are made to coincide with fire codes, etc.