Hartford gets first New England Cabela's

beerbeer

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, those are mere stores. Cabella's is a destination type of place. Man made ponds for fishing and indoor nature exhibits are some of what I hear Cabella's has to offer.

Like the ll bean flagship store... These stores also have restaurants, cafes, definitely a destination and huge economic impact. That is why the state is giving them 10 million and the town another 7...

I'm not really interested in this. If I want to experience nature, I'd just go to the hinterland, if I wanted to go to a pond, I'd go to a REAL pond.

I just hope it's worth the investment..

It seems to work in all of their other locations. Many in much more remote locales with less of a population base. I'm not worried at all about this. Not that I'm all that interested in it personally either. I will go over there though as I'm sure many will.

It seems to work in all of their other locations. Many in much more remote locales with less of a population base. I'm not worried at all about this. Not that I'm all that interested in it personally either. I will go over there though as I'm sure many will.

Not many of them have a resource like the CT river in their backyard either. Think of all the fishing demonstraitions, tournaments, etc. I think it will do wonders for the region as a whole.

I'm not really interested in this.

But a whole heck of a lot of people are. Fishing has to be one of the top hobbies in the US, and I'm sure there are quite of bit of hunters in our area as well (think of all the people from western MA, southern VT, etc). As redbaron said, having the CT river bordering the site can't hurt either. I have no doubt this will be a smashing success.

I'm sorry but I have to be the devil's advocate on this project... a giant store like this just seems very out of place in Connecticut. I mean, the interior:

19534739.jpg

Come on, how many of those jackets are they going to sell to Nutmeggers? It seems from other pictures in their gallery, that they are huge on having stuffed game in their stores in dioramas, but... seriously what kind of person would visit the place to see that?

And again, those camoflage jackets... :rofl:

mikel,

Put your money where your mouth is. I will bet you any amount of money, from a dime to thousands of dollars, that this store will be profitably in business for the next thirty years.

In fact, I will make that bet every year for the next thirty years. Every year this store is in business you pay me the amount of the bet. If the store goes out of business, within 30 years, I will repay you twice the entire amount.

Sorry kid, you lose.

By the way, don't dig your heels in on this. You are now old enough to outgrow your inbred New England pessimism. Life is better without it.

mikel,

Put your money where your mouth is. I will bet you any amount of money, from a dime to thousands of dollars, that this store will be profitably in business for the next thirty years.

In fact, I will make that bet every year for the next thirty years. Every year this store is in business you pay me the amount of the bet. If the store goes out of business, within 30 years, I will repay you twice the entire amount.

Sorry kid, you lose.

By the way, don't dig your heels in on this. You are now old enough to outgrow your inbred New England pessimism. Life is better without it.

I wouldn't lose because I wouldn't take that bet. I could keep a paperclip megastore open for 30 years with a $10 million public grant.

I wouldn't lose because I wouldn't take that bet. I could keep a paperclip megastore open for 30 years with a $10 million public grant.

Cabelas opens up all there stores with public money, they wouldn't even cosider the area if there was no money involved... The states sees it as an economic boon, the amount of sales tax it generates from out of staters will be plenty to cover any economic incentives. People travel all over to visit the ll bean factory store, same thing for cabelas... I definitely won't be buying a camoflauge jacket but c'mon Torington alone will support this store...

Cabelas opens up all there stores with public money, they wouldn't even cosider the area if there was no money involved... The states sees it as an economic boon, the amount of sales tax it generates from out of staters will be plenty to cover any economic incentives. People travel all over to visit the ll bean factory store, same thing for cabelas... I definitely won't be buying a camoflauge jacket but c'mon Torington alone will support this store...

Well, I'm coming from RI...count me in....NO, I'm not a hunter but I wouldn't mind getting into a role reversal situation ....that's hot!!!

I'm sorry but I have to be the devil's advocate on this project... a giant store like this just seems very out of place in Connecticut. I mean, the interior:

19534739.jpg

Come on, how many of those jackets are they going to sell to Nutmeggers? It seems from other pictures in their gallery, that they are huge on having stuffed game in their stores in dioramas, but... seriously what kind of person would visit the place to see that?

And again, those camoflage jackets... :rofl:

Those camoflage jackets will be all over North Hartford, trust me.....

I'm sure there are plenty of hunters in the Willimantic area, northeast CT (Pomfret, Union area), western MA, Litchfield County, and some of the outlying towns in Hartford County (Canton, Burlington, Vernon, etc.) Add to that the rural areas of western RI and southern VT/NH and all of a sudden we're rivaling Idaho and Montana!

I'm sure there are plenty of hunters in the Willimantic area, northeast CT (Pomfret, Union area), western MA, Litchfield County, and some of the outlying towns in Hartford County (Canton, Burlington, Vernon, etc.) Add to that the rural areas of western RI and southern VT/NH and all of a sudden we're rivaling Idaho and Montana!

There's no shortage of semi country outdoorsy type people in CT. I'm not worried in the least bit about this store's success. It may make hunting and fishing more popular here. I'm sure some guys from West Hartford or something will just have to go get some hunting gear and go hunting now just because the store is there.

Archived