Hartford gets first New England Cabela's

beerbeer

Cabelas opens up all there stores with public money, they wouldn't even cosider the area if there was no money involved... The states sees it as an economic boon, the amount of sales tax it generates from out of staters will be plenty to cover any economic incentives. People travel all over to visit the ll bean factory store, same thing for cabelas... I definitely won't be buying a camoflauge jacket but c'mon Torington alone will support this store...

I'm not at all opposed to public money for this project or any others. I'm just playing devil's advocate. :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no shortage of semi country outdoorsy type people in CT. I'm not worried in the least bit about this store's success. It may make hunting and fishing more popular here. I'm sure some guys from West Hartford or something will just have to go get some hunting gear and go hunting now just because the store is there.

That's a good point. Even though West Hartford is upscale and urban/suburban, there are certainly pockets of people who appreciate the outdoors and love to hunt and fish. Same thing applies to Hartford. Just because it's a city doesn't mean people hate fishing.

Maybe the only thing we are lacking in this area are the NRA gun nut type people - but I wouldn't even be surprised if there were some local gun clubs.

On a side note...I was in Virgina last week and went to my first shooting range. Now all of a sudden I'm looking for the nearest shooting range in CT! I don't think I'd ever own a gun, but shooting them is fun stuff.

Remember, all of New England is the size of one mid-western state... trust me, these places are a huge draw for a demographic that is not in short supply throughout New England. This will be agreat way to get people from ME, NH, VT, MA, and RI into the metro Hartford area. Perfect location for this.

Canton and Burlington?!!?! I can't see that there, too snobby.

Vernon? I can't think of many hunters in Rockville!

Then again, maybe people would come from far for this store, and stick around in Hartford for a while.

I work in Simsbury, very close to Canton. I think you would be surprised. There is a sort of country mentality out here. Even though some have money, there is no shortage of raised jeeps on huge almost monster truck wheels and tank tops out here. Maybe I just always notice because it's so foreign to me. Those guys look like they might like to hunt though. And even the other people out here give me the impression they might like that kind of stuff. That's just my assesment though.

There is one under construction near Montreal, less than a half hour from the border, so I am sure alot of northern New Englanders would go there instead of come down to CT

Very true. This is THE Cabela's for the New England and much of the Mid Atlantic.

There is one in Pennsylvania and opening in New Jersey as well

There is one under construction near Montreal, less than a half hour from the border, so I am sure alot of northern New Englanders would go there instead of come down to CT

There is one in Pennsylvania and opening in New Jersey as well

OK, so our market share may not be that full 20 Million. I'm sure there is still more than enough population to support it.

Cabelas opens up all there stores with public money, they wouldn't even cosider the area if there was no money involved... The states sees it as an economic boon, the amount of sales tax it generates from out of staters will be plenty to cover any economic incentives. People travel all over to visit the ll bean factory store, same thing for cabelas... I definitely won't be buying a camoflauge jacket but c'mon Torington alone will support this store...

Technically I think this will be the 2nd New England Cabela's, as there is one just beginning construction in Hooksett, NH, just north of Manchester. Voters in that town approved an $18 million TIF District to bring Cabela's, a hotel, museum, and other retail stores to a large lot there. The issue was very controversial though, as you can see here...

3COVERMOUNTAIN.0.jpg

3COVERBARN.jpg

3DON

Your images did not show up.

Are you sure? There is nothing on their page seen here

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...tail-stores.jsp

about a store that is open or will be opening in NH.

East Hartford is there

So, according to the Cabela's website we are the first. So we are the undeniably the first. No question about it.

I grew up in Berlin, and it was/still is pretty redneck. Also, towns like Cromwell, Portland, etc are very woodsy. And, despite the new housing going up in Burlington and Canton, they are very rural towns....

Cromwell has grown a lot in the last 20 years.

It's still pretty redneck, brother. My Dad is a member of the Mason's there and me and my brother-in-law got hijacked into going to a setback tournament there.... All the yee-haw's were out, it was a nice Friday night, and everyone was hanging around with their monster trucks...

Now I know many nutmeggers are not the Cabela type people (including myself) but there are SOME of these people in some areas of CT and lots of these people in the Pionner Valley, in VT, NH and in the Catskills who I guess will have to travel to East Hartford to this store (which is our advantage)

I can see how Cabela's could be compared to a IKEA type store. There are only two in New England, one in CT, and maybe two or three in the tri-state area so people do travel from some far places to visit the one in New Haven.

My view is Cabel'a will open up another store...we mine as well have them open it up in Hartford or as close to Hartford as we can get. This store is minutes from downtown. Now it could be in Rocky Hill or Windsor so at least they decided on East Hartford. For all we know we couldve lose Cabela's to MA like we did with Six Flags.

But why can't it go downtown?

Here's REI's flagship store in Seattle:

seattle_pic.jpg

REI is a competitor to Cabela's. Yet we're paying to Cabela's to build a suburban box? People say we should've built the UConn Medical Center downtown, etc. Yet, we're STILL accepting sprawl. :angry:

seattle_pic.jpg

REI is a competitor to Cabela's. Yet we're paying to Cabela's to build a suburban box? People say we should've built the UConn Medical Center downtown, etc. Yet, we're STILL accepting sprawl. :angry:

Building the UConn med center in Farmington was a huge mistake, no doubt about that. However, I hardly consider building up an old airfield a stones throw from downtown Hartford "sprawl". Not to mention the fact that the development will be mixed use and preserve quite a bit of open space.

I know I know....I want the best for Hartford. Every project that gets built in the suburbs justs angers me....even mixed use projects like Blue Back Square ....for example Cheesecake Factory just signed a lease there...they couldve instead signed a lease for Hartford 21 or something.

I wouldn't really consider Cabelas and REI direct competitors. You won't find too many shotguns or Bass Boats at REI, while REI is much more directed towards hiking climbing and the technical side of outdoor sports.

Having recently been to the Bass Pro Shop in Auburn NY, I would say burbs is the best place for this kind of store, wait till you see all the stuff that will be outside for sale like boats kayakes etc. That being said these stores are quite a sight to behold, I know I went out my way when going along the thruway to see the Bass shop.

seattle_pic.jpg

OK, what's the problem? We can STILL get REI for Downtown, especially if they see Cabela's as a success. Retailers follow either other, that's why when one big name comes, more are sure to follow.

Archived