Hartford gets first New England Cabela's

beerbeer

mikel, you're my new favorite poster. WE DOOMED! WE DOOMED!

Decades ago, you probably would've said something similar if I complained about Buckland Mall, highways through downtown Hartford, etc.

Say what you will. I still think if we're pumping that much money to a retailer, it should be downtown or walking distance from downtown.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decades ago, you probably would've said something similar if I complained about Buckland Mall, highways through downtown Hartford, etc.

Say what you will. I still think if we're pumping that much money to a retailer, it should be downtown or walking distance from downtown.

I understand, however I am of the mind that our small capital city does not exist in a vacuum. Far from it. We are a relatively small part of a large region truthfully speaking. To want every nice new thing in Hartford is a bit greedy. Silver Lane sure could use the boost. The stadium is very nice, I love going there, but there are still missing pieces over there, which means there are missing pieces in Greater Hartford that need to be filled either now or later. I vote for now....

Silver Lane sure could use the boost. The stadium is very nice, I love going there, but there are still missing pieces over there, which means there are missing pieces in Greater Hartford that need to be filled either now or later. I vote for now....

Speaking of missing pieces, Silver Lane should connect to Downtown Hartford. I call it the Coltsville Bridge.

Bulldozing historic buildings to make way for a highway right through the heart of the city is a wee bit different than building a Cabela's store on an abandoned air field in East Hartford. Apples and oranges. I think I can speak for all Hartford forumers in saying that we would not have stood by idly if we were old enough in the 60's when the highways came through town. If I was alive I would have layed down in the streets in protest.

Highways through center of town = bad

Cabela's in East Hartford = good (maybe not the BEST, but certainly not a bad thing)

But why can't it go downtown?

Here's REI's flagship store in Seattle:

seattle_pic.jpg

REI is a competitor to Cabela's. Yet we're paying to Cabela's to build a suburban box? People say we should've built the UConn Medical Center downtown, etc. Yet, we're STILL accepting sprawl. :angry:

Oh MVlad looke, space needle :rofl: .

But why can't it go downtown?

Here's REI's flagship store in Seattle:

seattle_pic.jpg

REI is a competitor to Cabela's. Yet we're paying to Cabela's to build a suburban box? People say we should've built the UConn Medical Center downtown, etc. Yet, we're STILL accepting sprawl. :angry:

That would look good in downtown Hartford. :D

It's not that it's not in Hartford, but even putting it walking distance on the East Hartford side of the river would have been nice, especially since we're paying them to come here. There is land for it no doubt.

I understand. But I look at it this way - maybe, just maybe this development will spur some sort of a rail line, be it light or heavy, between the Hartfords. If those dimwits at the top of the ladder could get their heads in the game, this would be a perfect opportunity for some sweet rail.

I realized that after I posted it. Oh well. Who knows what Downtown will get. I guess all we know is the vague ESPN attraction.

Annexation anyone?

As much as I think annexation would solve a lot of problems, I just don't see it happening in my lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
People will flock to it from other more rural parts of the state like Litchfield County and Windham County. Most here in the urban areas are not avid hunters. I work with people from the countryside so to speak and this is for them and I say if it gets them to the Hartford area to spend money and time, it's a good thing. Then they can go home with their new hunting gear and bag a big one or whatever it is they do.

I have hunters in my family from Vermont and Litchfield county, and I can tell you 100% that neither them or any of their hunting friends will flock to this store.

Any hunter in a rural setting has hunting friends, and they all have a friend or a local that runs his/her own hunting store.

They go to the local hunting outlets where they are most of the time on a first name basis with the shop owner.

I just really can't see them taking a long trip to Hartford Connecticut for a chain hunting store

Not just any development is good development, I thought this region and it's people would have a better idea about that now...

Archived