IN-PROGRESS: Rentschler Field Mixed Use District

SOCOM

Huh?

State Picks Bushnell To Run Rentschler, Hoping To Boost Stadium Use Beyond Football

The Hartford Courant

January 22, 2010

From "The Nutcracker" to the bone-breaker.

The Bushnell Center for the Performing Arts, a local icon of the performing arts, has been chosen by the state as the preferred bidder to manage Rentschler Field in East Hartford, home to University of Connecticut football.

The Bushnell beat out two other bidders: current operator Northland/AEG LLC, which has managed the stadium since 2007, and Waterford Venue Services, part of the Waterford Group and manager of the Connecticut Convention Center, the state confirmed Thursday. Now the state will begin negotiating a contract with the Bushnell.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-rentschler0222.artjan22,0,3625359.story

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh?

State Picks Bushnell To Run Rentschler, Hoping To Boost Stadium Use Beyond Football

The Hartford Courant

January 22, 2010

From "The Nutcracker" to the bone-breaker.

The Bushnell Center for the Performing Arts, a local icon of the performing arts, has been chosen by the state as the preferred bidder to manage Rentschler Field in East Hartford, home to University of Connecticut football.

The Bushnell beat out two other bidders: current operator Northland/AEG LLC, which has managed the stadium since 2007, and Waterford Venue Services, part of the Waterford Group and manager of the Connecticut Convention Center, the state confirmed Thursday. Now the state will begin negotiating a contract with the Bushnell.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-rentschler0222.artjan22,0,3625359.story

Huh was my reaction as well. I guess we'll have to wait and see what this means.

• 2 years later...

Well, that article irks me

did anyone ever expect it to be a profit engine?

Its a ciivic building like a library or a park or a school for that matter.

The thought is that the expense of building and operating will be offset by community health and happiness and enjoyment.

The "loss" is also just a paper loss mainly due to depreciation. No state agency is writing checks to operate the facility, they lost on paper, so revenue vs expenses looks like it would be near break even.

Also, the primary tennant is UCONN, the state essentially negotiated with its biggest customer what it thought was enough to cover expenses, but not show up on some auditors books as too much for the University to cover.

If the state wanted it could have paid more in rent, but the state prefers to have the football program show as though it is profitable or at least covering its own expenses.

There is likely also a revenue share on concessions... or maybe UConn gets all that revenue.

again.... article is all BS!

Its like how we expect commuter rail systems to be profitable, but road construction and maintenance costs are never expected to be recouped.

on a random note.....

There are not enough non UConn events at Rentschler

They should be trying to rent that thing out to concerts or motocross, monster trucks, soccer games, whatever is interested...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The stadium is hosting the Gold medal wining US Womens soccer team Vs Germany on October 23.

they have sold over 17,000 tickes already too. Not bad.

The American Outlaws Hartford chapter will be hosting a party the night before at Citysteam in Downtown, a tailgate at the stadium starting at 4:30 when the gates open, as well as pre game and post game festivities again at Citysteam.

• 4 months later...

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130218/PRINTEDITION/302159988/1002

Looks like this alive again...

I kind of hate the competing interests of a guant suburban development right next to our downtown, I suppose its always good if its mixed use and introduces morepeople to walkabile living even if in an insular manner.

From the article... the developer is planning a project that will cost several hundred million.

the developer is the retail lead.  there is already apparently someone lined up to build a hotel and someone lined up to build apartments

they are ready to go as long as the retail happens. 

Developer Dan Matos, who was hired to develop the East Hartford tract, declined to comment for this story. But he previously told HBJ that he had letters of intent from a hotel operator and an apartment developer ready to begin construction on a 300-unit, six-story, mid-rise style apartment complex that would target young professionals and empty nesters.

But those projects won't go forward until retail and restaurant tenants agree to occupy the outlet center.

now clearly there is no guarantee that the people who signed letters of intent are still interested, but it seems as though thats what is being said.

6 story 300 units is a nice start, but hardly is it enough to make in impact with nothing... NOTHING else around.

they will need a few apartments to go with the hotel.     I suspect a hotel would do very well here.

there are NO hotels that are any good east of the river untill you get down to Glastonbury.   this property would be perfect for anyone doing business with Pratt or UTC.  right now most of those people stay downtown, so it would stink to lose that business to East Hartford.  I suppose as long as there is density, and there is net economic gain for the region I am content.  I do however hope that the downtown projects are all in place by the time anything significant us up and leasing here though. 

Whatever happened to this?

The U.S. Air Force plans to spend $21 million to build a technology complex on the Rentschler Field property in East Hartford, fulfilling
the longtime dream of U.S. Rep. John B. Larson to create a world-class research center at the former airfield.

Larson and Sens. Christopher J. Dodd and Joseph I. Lieberman plan to announce fundingicon1.png for the National Center for Aerospace Leadership at a press conference this morning.pixel.gif

The center would support the development of military and commercial technology, said Karl Prewo, a former researcher for United Technologies
Corp., the parent corporation of Pratt & Whitney. The federal money is authorized in the 2005 defense appropriation, an official familiar with the project said.

Larson proposed a technology center at Rentschler shortly after Pratt & Whitney closed the airfield there several years ago, and has spent years
trying to secure money.

In the past three years, about $8 million has been approved for the center by various federal agencies, including $4.5 million in September.

``The $21 million is big, really big,'' said Prewo. He now directs the Connecticut Center for Advanced Technology, which will receive the money and build the aerospace leadershipicon1.png center.

Prewo said his organization plans to build the center on part of approximately 625 undeveloped acres at Rentschler Field, where the University of Connecticut football stadium is also located. The site is
adjacent to Pratt & Whitney's headquarters.

The selection of Rentschler Field for the technology center is contingent on efforts by Prewo's organization, UTC and the state to work out transportation and environmental issues, said the official familiar with the project, who
did not wish to be identified. If those issues are not resolved, the money still would be available to the organization for building the technology center at another location, the official said.

The money would be used to construct about 225,000 square feet of space, the official said. The leadership center would occupy much of the space and the rest would be used for a technological innovation center, an
``incubator'' for small businesses. The incubator would provide assistance with issues that include investment capitalicon1.png and the means for securing it.

The Connecticut Center for Advanced Technology was created in June 2002 under a federally sponsored grant to develop a national center that addresses both military and civilian industrial needs.

Prewo said it works with universities, industry and government to support the growth of the region's technology industry.

``The national center will be constructed to enable industry-focused collaboration among leading universities and the engineering and manufacturing companies in our region,'' Prewo said.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see this moving again. An upscale outlet center would be perfect for there. It should help get some revitalization going in this corridor, which was once pretty vibrant. I agree that it would be nice to have Hartford's revival secured before the billions start flowing to E Hartford I feel like this is a part of the metro that really needs the investment and getting it done will be huge for the whole region.

• 1 year later...

Good stuff, East Hartford really needs for Rentschler Field to be developed to its full potential. East Hartford has its share of issues but if they can get some new, high end housing and retail on Silver Lane with the new Pratt HQ, things will certainly be looking up. Hopefully the old movie theater land can get redeveloped at some point in the not too distant future. Having an outlet mall on site will make the Rent much more attractive as a destination for visiting fans from out of town and other non-UConn events.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/20140313/NEWS01/140319956

Horizon Group Properties said The Outlet Shoppes at Rentschler Field will open in the summer of 2016 and will feature well-known brands and designer outlets. The center will be built at Rentschler's former airstrip.

• 1 year later...

http://www.courant.com/community/east-hartford/hc-east-hartford-rentschler-outlet-design-review-20150923-story.html

Im glad this one is approved and supposed to start digging in December

this will really help East Hartford, and it will also help the capital region be a better destination.  Im thinking my dream of a mass transit extention to the Rent from downtown is feasable 

• 3 weeks later...

There have been rumors circulating about the NFL creating a spring league that would be essentially like the NBA D-League.  This way they can cut players like they do today to save their money but essentially send them to the minors to see if maybe with a little extra work, they might work out.

this league honestly may also be a way to provide an avenue for players that dont go to college but thats a whole other thing...

If the NFL doesnt do it another entity also mentioned it and mentioned a team at Rentschler field.

it makes sense that Hartford could have a Tier 2 pro team, and in spring it would not compete with too much because basketball ends in early April.

Baseball is the only issue and Im thinking the conflict is minimal with only a minor league team here and the totally different game day experiences.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

There have been rumors circulating about the NFL creating a spring league that would be essentially like the NBA D-League.  This way they can cut players like they do today to save their money but essentially send them to the minors to see if maybe with a little extra work, they might work out.

this league honestly may also be a way to provide an avenue for players that dont go to college but thats a whole other thing...

If the NFL doesnt do it another entity also mentioned it and mentioned a team at Rentschler field.

it makes sense that Hartford could have a Tier 2 pro team, and in spring it would not compete with too much because basketball ends in early April.

Baseball is the only issue and Im thinking the conflict is minimal with only a minor league team here and the totally different game day experiences.

Thoughts?

I hope if the NFL starts a developmental league, I would like to see Hartford get a team. I'd love to see a Lacrosse team, too.

• 3 months later...

Archived