IN-PROGRESS: Rentschler Field Mixed Use District

SOCOM

Well, the vast majority of people who go to those games don't simply park their car and walk into the stadium, so the mass transit option isn't really pratical.

Sure it's practical. It's $1.25 each way from downtown, much less than parking prices, and you don't need to stay sober at all.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure it's practical. It's $1.25 each way from downtown, much less than parking prices, and you don't need to stay sober at all.

No it's not, if I want to bring my grill and barbecue burgers, hot dogs, shrimp....bring a large cooler containing these food items plus beverages...my chairs, my serving table ...a radio (I use my car's radio) and my canopy. And I can leave at my own schedule, not the bus's. Factor in the cost of parking downtown (non-event garage parking), besides, if I live in Manchester, why would I drive Downtown and take a bus to East Hartford?

If you've ever been to a UConn game at the Rent, my tailgate party is quite modest compared most others.

No it's not, if I want to bring my grill and barbecue burgers, hot dogs, shrimp....bring a large cooler containing these food items plus beverages...my chairs, my serving table ...a radio (I use my car's radio) and my canopy. And I can leave at my own schedule, not the bus's. Factor in the cost of parking downtown (non-event garage parking), besides, if I live in Manchester, why would I drive Downtown and take a bus to East Hartford?

If you've ever been to a UConn game at the Rent, my tailgate party is quite modest compared most others.

Remind me never to go to a UConn football game. That sounds like redneck stuff you'd find in Alabama, not Connecticut!

Remind me never to go to a UConn football game. That sounds like redneck stuff you'd find in Alabama, not Connecticut!

There's nothing redneck about tailgaiting and having a good time at a football game. Lighten up! Obviously many people in Connecticut are enjoying it just fine, and they are not rednecks. Some people like to loosen up and have fun sometimes.....

mikel:

Sorry, but you sound like someone who doesn't care about sports and TAILGATING! That is fine, but it isn't just 'REDNECKS in Alabama' who tailgates. Lambeau Field (in Green Bay, Wisconsin) is known for TAILGATING - with Polish SAUSAGE, Brockwerst and beer, Ribs and other things! Football TAILGATING is not JUST FOR REDNECKS.

Mikel, I'm not criticizing you, you have your own things. I love sporting events -- and also cutural events, but I doubt you can TAILGATE in FRONT of Hartford Stage!

JimS

I live for sports. I never saw anyone needed a grill, tables, a radio, etc. to enjoy a Whalers game. We went to the pubs (well I wasn't old enough, but I would have), etc. Still at Whalers games we ate at the mall and hung outside and the city was alive. UConn football fans give no impact to the city except causing traffic with their fat arses and SUV's.

The tailgate culture in this country is just ridiculous, and it was foolish to bring it here. I prefer soccer to football, and every soccer stadium in Europe I've been to was right in the city. Food stands would be everywhere and people would congregate, but they wouldn't act like trashy tailgaters. In fact, they'd laugh at that and say "fat Americans" and stuff.

People like HartfordTycoon would be lost with a stadium in an urban environment, I suppose. But it's a much better atmosphere than sitting outside you car. The singing, the pubs getting taken over, the banners put all over the place, it's great. But everyone wants to drive to Rentschler, and there is absolutely no positive impact on local stores except maybe gas stations when there's a UConn game. Cities in Europe have millions put into them when they get the crowds.

I live for sports. I never saw anyone needed a grill, tables, a radio, etc. to enjoy a Whalers game. We went to the pubs (well I wasn't old enough, but I would have), etc. Still at Whalers games we ate at the mall and hung outside and the city was alive. UConn football fans give no impact to the city except causing traffic with their fat arses and SUV's.

The tailgate culture in this country is just ridiculous, and it was foolish to bring it here. I prefer soccer to football, and every soccer stadium in Europe I've been to was right in the city. Food stands would be everywhere and people would congregate, but they wouldn't act like trashy tailgaters. In fact, they'd laugh at that and say "fat Americans" and stuff.

People like HartfordTycoon would be lost with a stadium in an urban environment, I suppose. But it's a much better atmosphere than sitting outside you car. The singing, the pubs getting taken over, the banners put all over the place, it's great. But everyone wants to drive to Rentschler, and there is absolutely no positive impact on local stores except maybe gas stations when there's a UConn game. Cities in Europe have millions put into them when they get the crowds.

Don't give me that crap!!

I like all sorts of sporting events from NBA, NFL, College Hoops, and College Football and each of these have a different sports fan culture involved. You are truly ignorant, to suggest that someone can't enjoy tailgating and also and urban Arena Environment. I actually enjoy being around diverse people in diverse environments. Tailgating is a part of football. College or NFL Period. It was certainly no more a mistake to bring big time college football here than it would be to get the Whalers back.

My whole point is, if it's not your thing then don't participate. I'm really more just taken aback at how little you value or respect things that other people find enjoyable and important just because you don't. But whatever, if you want to feel so superior to college football fans here in CT and throughout the country go right ahead.

Don't give me that crap!!

I like all sorts of sporting events from NBA, NFL, College Hoops, and College Football and each of these have a different sports fan culture involved. You are truly ignorant, to suggest that someone can't enjoy tailgating and also and urban Arena Environment. I actually enjoy being around diverse people in diverse environments. Tailgating is a part of football. College or NFL Period. It was certainly no more a mistake to bring big time college football here than it would be to get the Whalers back.

My whole point is, if it's not your thing then don't participate. I'm really more just taken aback at how little you value or respect things that other people find enjoyable and important just because you don't. But whatever, if you want to feel so superior to college football fans here in CT and throughout the country go right ahead.

But what would you do if you lived in London:

london_boleyn1.jpg

or Liverpool:

liverpool_anfield1.jpg

The atmosphere outside those stadiums is unbelievably better, and there's no place to put your SUV and grill.

But what would you do if you lived in London:

london_boleyn1.jpg

or Liverpool:

liverpool_anfield1.jpg

The atmosphere outside those stadiums is unbelievably better, and there's no place to put your SUV and grill.

I don't live in London and did not mention being into Soccer. I am an American and more interested in Football, Basketball, Baseball, and even Hockey. Americans tend to tailgate at football games, that's what most of us football fans are accustomed too. That's all I'm saying. Let people do things how they want to. I'm not complaining about Soccer crowds and how unruly they can become and if I went to a soccer match in London I would observe and not be judgemental about how they enjoy themselves before the game.

"The atmosphere outside those stadiums is unbelievably better, and there's no place to put your SUV and grill."

Didn't you just say that you've never been to a game at Rentschler, and wouldn't want to. How can you then say it's "unbelievably better"? Are European sport customes inherently better than American customs, simply because they are European?

I am frankly dumbfounded by your use of broad brush strokes to paint UConn football fans as rednecks with "fat arses" and SUVs. I'm a UConn football fan who tailgates and have neither a large posterior or an SUV. And i have been to enough Whaler/Bruins games to experience sports in an urban environment. I've also been to plenty of games at Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, and Camden Yards in Baltimore, so I have experienced the urban stadium. (And I don't drive my car to any of those venues) And I like both the urban and suburban environments for what they are.

Incidentally, tailgating originated in the northeast, with college football fans (notably Yale, Harvard, and Princeton) fans packing picnics in their horse drawn carriages to enjoy before and after the game.

"The atmosphere outside those stadiums is unbelievably better, and there's no place to put your SUV and grill."

Didn't you just say that you've never been to a game at Rentschler, and wouldn't want to. How can you then say it's "unbelievably better"? Are European sport customes inherently better than American customs, simply because they are European?

I am frankly dumbfounded by your use of broad brush strokes to paint UConn football fans as rednecks with "fat arses" and SUVs. I'm a UConn football fan who tailgates and have neither a large posterior or an SUV. And i have been to enough Whaler/Bruins games to experience sports in an urban environment. I've also been to plenty of games at Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, and Camden Yards in Baltimore, so I have experienced the urban stadium. (And I don't drive my car to any of those venues) And I like both the urban and suburban environments for what they are. Do you belive that you are superior to me because I am a tailgating college football fan?

Incidentally, tailgating originated in the northeast, with college football fans (notably Yale, Harvard, and Princeton) fans packing picnics in their horse drawn carriages to enjoy before and after the game.

I am frankly dumbfounded by your use of broad brush strokes to paint UConn football fans as rednecks with "fat arses" and SUVs. I'm a UConn football fan who tailgates and have neither a large posterior or an SUV. And i have been to enough Whaler/Bruins games to experience sports in an urban environment. I've also been to plenty of games at Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, and Camden Yards in Baltimore, so I have experienced the urban stadium. (And I don't drive my car to any of those venues) And I like both the urban and suburban environments for what they are.

When the Whalers moved to North Carolina, one of the things that struck out (and offended me) was that they were tailgating hockey games! And I think that the whole Rentschler Field idea of tailgating is just copying the south, where most of the big college football programs.

I know for a fact that when Yale played back in its golden age, the fans filled the trolleys heading from downtown New Haven for the Yale Bowl. It was still an urban experience there.

I find the European football tradition is better than the American football tradition of sitting outside your car, I absolutely do. They laugh at that actually.

I don't live in London and did not mention being into Soccer. I am an American and more interested in Football, Basketball, Baseball, and even Hockey. Americans tend to tailgate at football games, that's what most of us football fans are accustomed too. That's all I'm saying. Let people do things how they want to. I'm not complaining about Soccer crowds and how unruly they can become and if I went to a soccer match in London I would observe and not be judgemental about how they enjoy themselves before the game.

It is not un-American to like soccer. In fact Hartford is becoming a great home for the USA national team. And those matches that have come here, downtown Hartford was packed with people before and after. For a Uconn football game, there is no sign of it at all downtown.

What you were saying was that you were complaining about parking, which is one of my pet-peeves, living in a city that is becoming more and more a giant parking lot because everyone expects to be able to park 10 yards away or less from wherever they want to go.

I find the European football tradition is better than the American football tradition of sitting outside your car, I absolutely do. They laugh at that actually.

Am I supposed to be impressed/discouraged that Europeans laugh at our traditions? Why is it when Americans criticize other country's customs, we are considered closed-minded xenophobic, but when Europeans criticize (from your description, it sounds more like belittle) our customs, they are somehow more enlightened?

I've never been to a European soccer game and I've never experienced their pregame rituals, so I won't make any judgments. I would expect the same treatment in return from Europeans.

I guess it's a good thing they didn't build the stadium on campus, like most UConn officials/fans wanted. Then Hartford really wouldn't have seen any spinoff, not to mention there probably wouldnt' have been soccer games or concerts.

Oh, and I'm assuming you think the south and southerners are an inferior region/class of people?

Am I supposed to be impressed/discouraged that Europeans laugh at our traditions? Why is it when Americans criticize other country's customs, we are considered closed-minded xenophobic, but when Europeans criticize (from your description, it sounds more like belittle) our customs, they are somehow more enlightened?

I've never been to a European soccer game, so I won't judge their pregame traditoins and rituals. I would expect the same treatment from Europeans.

And I guess I'll acknowledge the 800-ton gorilla in the room. I'm assuming you think the south and southerners are an inferior region/class of people?

I've never been to a European soccer game and I've never experienced their pregame rituals, so I won't make any judgments. I would expect the same treatment in return from Europeans.

I guess it's a good thing they didn't build the stadium on campus, like most UConn officials/fans wanted. Then Hartford really wouldn't have seen any spinoff, not to mention there probably wouldnt' have been soccer games or concerts.

Oh, and I'm assuming you think the south and southerners are an inferior region/class of people?

Tailgating is not an American custom. Most Americans have never tailgated anything. And before the Meadows opened in Hartford, there was really nothing to ever tailgate for in this area. Rentschler Field is going to waste a lot of land because the tailgators must have surface parking for some ridiculous reason. Where were all the Uconn football fans 10 years ago? 99% of them weren't tailgating up at Memorial Stadium in Storrs, or even following the team at all. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Also, regarding the southern US, I believe it is not a good model for anything Hartford needs, in fact it's one of my least favorite places on the planet. Ignorance, sprawl, obesity, that's the south of today. There are better places Hartford could take things from, anywhere else really.

Tailgating is not an American custom. Most Americans have never tailgated anything.

Rentschler Field is going to waste a lot of land because the tailgators must have surface parking for some ridiculous reason.

Where were all the Uconn football fans 10 years ago? 99% of them weren't tailgating up at Memorial Stadium in Storrs, or even following the team at all. The whole thing is ridiculous."

Also, regarding the southern US, I believe it is not a good model for anything Hartford needs, in fact it's one of my least favorite places on the planet. Ignorance, sprawl, obesity, that's the south of today. There are better places Hartford could take things from, anywhere else really.

By that logic, soccer isn't a European tradition because most Europeans probably haven't mingled at a pub outside a soccer stadium.

There were more than 36,000 in East Hartford for Thursday's game. The majority of that crowd participated in tailgating activities. Yet you, a single person on a message board, rather than simply say 'to each his own' choose to belittle them by calling their activity "ridiculous.

UConn was not playing on a national level 10 years ago. That has changed and the games have grown in popularity exponentially. That's something to be lauded, not criticized. And the majority of the fans who attended games at Memorial Stadium did tailgate. The numbers may be larger, but there has always been tailgaters.

As for your thoughts on the south, well, at least you're not a closeted bigot...those are the worst.

By that logic, soccer isn't a European tradition because most Europeans probably haven't mingled at a pub outside a soccer stadium.

There were more than 36,000 in East Hartford for Thursday's game. The majority of that crowd participated in tailgating activities. Yet you, a single person on a message board, rather than simply say 'to each his own' choose to belittle them by calling their activity "ridiculous.

UConn was not playing on a national level 10 years ago. That has changed and the games have grown in popularity exponentially. That's something to be lauded, not criticized. And the majority of the fans who attended games at Memorial Stadium did tailgate. The numbers may be larger, but there has always been tailgaters.

As for your thoughts on the south, well, at least you're not a closeted bigot...those are the worst.

It's not a Connecticut tradition, it's only recently been brought here by the corporate owners of the Meadows (based in Texas) and UConn (trying to be like southern football schools).

I belittle things like tailgating, Wal-Mart shopping, SUV-driving, sprawl, etc. It's just what I do here.

It's not a Connecticut tradition, it's only recently been brought here by the corporate owners of the Meadows (based in Texas) and UConn (trying to be like southern football schools).

I belittle things like tailgating, Wal-Mart shopping, SUV-driving, sprawl, etc. It's just what I do here.

So are you saying UConn shouldn't have gone to D-1A? UConn isn't trying to be like a southern football school. Big time college football brings millions of dollars to universities. A team like UConn who is just starting out can earn over a million dollars playing the more established teams. Not only is it a financial asset, but it brings enjoyment to the students, fans, and puts UConn on the major college map.

UConn football 10 years ago was well supported, however who wants to see UConn play Jackson State when you can see them hopefully one day play the likes of a Notre Dame, Ohio State or Michigan? Kind of like the comparison between the Wolfpack and the Whalers.

ROFLAO...What are you talking about ...not a "Connecticut tradition." It's been going on at UConn for years before Rentschler Field. Not to mention, the Yalies practically perfected it during the 50s, 60s, and 70s....some of Yale-Harvard tailgates were legendary. Not to mention the Jets/Giants/Patriots/BC tailgates that have been going on for decades. Oh, and are we supposed to believe that the corporate owners of the Meadows are actually part of some southern menace intent on foisting their "southern lifestyle" on CT? Incidentally, the Meadows is owned by the state and its operations are leased.

It's too bad you have to you feel you have to "belittle" things that give others enjoyment. Frankly, I still haven't figured out what's so offensive or for that matter rednecked about picnicing before a football game. But I'm sure you'll explain it to me, no doubt with some bigoted statements about UConn fans intelligence, body weight, and choice of vehicles.

ROFLAO...What are you talking about ...not a "Connecticut tradition." It's been going on at UConn for years before Rentschler Field. Not to mention, the Yalies practically perfected it during the 50s, 60s, and 70s....some of Yale-Harvard tailgates were legendary. Not to mention the Jets/Giants/Patriots/BC tailgates that have been going on for decades. Oh, and are we supposed to believe that the corporate owners of the Meadows are actually part of some southern menace intent on foisting their "southern lifestyle" on CT? Incidentally, the Meadows is owned by the state and its operations are leased.

It's too bad you have to you feel you have to "belittle" things that give others enjoyment. Frankly, I still haven't figured out what's so offensive or for that matter rednecked about picnicing before a football game. But I'm sure you'll explain it to me, no doubt with some bigoted statements about UConn fans intelligence, body weight, and choice of vehicles.

Go have a picnic in a park, not at a giant surface parking lot on valuable land close to downtown that exists solely so people can sit outside their cars 6 times a year.

Go have a picnic in a park, not at a giant surface parking lot on valuable land close to downtown that exists solely so people can sit outside their cars 6 times a year.

They're not surface lots...They're fields. ..you know...open space They were left unpaved on purpose. You would have known that if you had actually researched site, rather than making broad brushed statement about "trashy" tailgaters.

This is a 680-acre site we are talking about. Leaving 25 to 30 acres of fields open to allow football fans (and other stadium users) to have fun, shouldn't be that big a deal.

I just want to be clear after reading some of your other posts.....

You'd prefer this stadium Downtown or in a neighborhood so 6 times a year UConn fans can pack local bars instead of tailgating because it is more "European" and less "Redneck?" I would see that as an even greater waste of valuable space. Plus this isn't converting a tobacco field in Windsor or cornfield in Ellington to a shopping plaza. This is land being converted from an industrial use.

Personally, as a sports fan I prefer variety and as American sports fans we have that. Arenas tend to be in urban areas and support restaurants, hotels, and bars in those vicinities. If they're home to the NHL or NBA or both they have at least 40 to 80 guaranteed nights of use, not to mention other events that can be scheduled. They're also 2-4 times smaller which, as I don't really need to explain, makes it easier logistically to avoid surface parking. It's also far more practical to build venues like this in an area in which a community can work with the synergy these buildings provide. I'd much rather have something like the Hartford Civic Center than Nassau Coliseum in this regard.

Maybe I shouldn't speak for Hartford Tycoon, but I'm sure he'd feel the same way, even if he didn't, he'd recognize the importance in this. Different venues work for different events. Football has a different dynamic. 6 to 8 home games a year makes for a different type of celebration. It's why I can be a "Fat American" and enjoy a beautiful night under the stars with my friends, cooking my own food, and the next night grab dinner and a drink at a nice restaurant before I attend an NHL game.

My original post on this was meant to discuss the inefficiencies in the project and how, if not done properly, could undermine each component. The site can still be a success with retail, stadium, housing, public transportation, etc., but as I said earlier I think it's going to take a coordination not often seen in CT public projects. Cabela's can be a tourist destination. Rentschler can be a positive gathering place, UTC's and the Air Force's research center can be a great economic boost, but mess up one and you can mess up all.

As a side note I did email the folks at Rentschler and they hope to greatly improve the condition of the lots before the September 16th game. They didn't mention about working towards permanent improvements but acknowledged the new general parking lots needed work.

They're not surface lots...They're fields. ..you know...open space They were left unpaved on purpose. You would have known that if you had actually researched site, rather than making broad brushed statement about "trashy" tailgaters.

This is a 680-acre site we are talking about. Leaving 25 to 30 acres of fields open to allow football fans (and other stadium users) to have fun, shouldn't be that big a deal.

LOL "open space". Since when is an area that's a mix of asphalt, rocks and short weeds that is completely closed off to the public 355+ days a year considered "open space? It's a parking lot, and a complete waste of land for activities that are completely useless to our region.

LOL "open space". Since when is an area that's a mix of asphalt, rocks and short weeds that is completely closed off to the public 355+ days a year considered "open space? It's a parking lot, and a complete waste of land for activities that are completely useless to our region.

I'm not sure it's closed off. You can probably go the fields if you wanted to.

People will be living and working there soon if all goes according to plan. Maybe it will be nice to keep it grassy for them 355 days and for us for 6 days a year. You just want us to enjoy the game your way and it's not gonna happen because none of the fans want it to. Let us have Uconn Football our way. It's our thing. Not yours. Worry about whatever your thing is and do it and have fun, I will not criticize you for it.

People will be living and working there soon if all goes according to plan. Maybe it will be nice to keep it grassy for them 355 days and for us for 6 days a year. You just want us to enjoy the game your way and it's not gonna happen because none of the fans want it to. Let us have Uconn Football our way. It's our thing. Not yours. Worry about whatever your thing is and do it and have fun, I will not criticize you for it.

But what if my thing is criticising terrible land use?

chill tycoon. mikel is playing you and others. he is not here for meaningful discussion. he is not here to learn. he is not here to enlighten. he admits that he is here to belittle things and he admits that belittling is what he does. he is unique in that it is the first time i remember a provocateur admitting to being one. believe him!!

Archived