IN-PROGRESS: Rentschler Field Mixed Use District

SOCOM

But what if my thing is criticising terrible land use?

Hey, if that's your thing do it. I really meant something not belittling and disrespectful to others who don't share your OPINIONS of what terrible/great land use is, but if that's what you do for fun, knock yourself out. Terrible land use was an abandoned airport, somehow big time college football and tailgaiting seem like a great use of land to me and many if not most others in the state of Connecticut.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, regarding the southern US, I believe it is not a good model for anything Hartford needs, in fact it's one of my least favorite places on the planet. Ignorance, sprawl, obesity, that's the south of today. There are better places Hartford could take things from, anywhere else really.

Hey Mikel, big, fat, dumb, ignorant, large arse southern person here who has happened to travel the world for business and pleasure, including many of European countries you speak so highly about. And guess what, I have attended many "football" games in the Premiership, Bundasliga, Lega Nazionale Professionisti in Italy, PZPN Polish football league. Not to mention games in Thailand, Vietnam and China. Oh yea, this big fat, ignorant wal-mart shopping southern person also has an MBA from a top program and works for a Fortune 10 company in an international position. And to think, I am the ignorant one !!!

So, I have a question? When I went and saw Hertha Berlin play in Berlin and right in front of the stadium where the straight-away entrance and large concrete runway was laid out and all those cars parked there flying Hertha flags, I thought I saw them drinking and cooking and hanging out and cheering on their team. Oh my, I was right in the middle of them !! Being the sophisticated European you are, how do you say "Tailgating" in German?

I drank outside the stadiums in Rome, Hanoi, Piza, Bangkok, Krakow with new found friends. Everybody and everyplace has its own traditions, no matter what it is called.

I like to read the Hartford posts because they are usually some of the most well-written and sophisticated posts on UP. Then you show up !!

Maybe you egg people on to get your "jollies" but I "eat" people like you everyday (around the world) for fun from my desk, ...... being that I am the ignorant one !!!!!

Hey Mikel, big, fat, dumb, ignorant, large arse southern person here who has happened to travel the world for business and pleasure, including many of European countries you speak so highly about. And guess what, I have attended many "football" games in the Premiership, Bundasliga, Lega Nazionale Professionisti in Italy, PZPN Polish football league. Not to mention games in Thailand, Vietnam and China. Oh yea, this big fat, ignorant wal-mart shopping southern person also has an MBA from a top program and works for a Fortune 10 company in an international position. And to think, I am the ignorant one !!!

So, I have a question? When I went and saw Hertha Berlin play in Berlin and right in front of the stadium where the straight-away entrance and large concrete runway was laid out and all those cars parked there flying Hertha flags, I thought I saw them drinking and cooking and hanging out and cheering on their team. Oh my, I was right in the middle of them !! Being the sophisticated European you are, how do you say "Tailgating" in German?

I drank outside the stadiums in Rome, Hanoi, Piza, Bangkok, Krakow with new found friends. Everybody and everyplace has its own traditions, no matter what it is called.

I like to read the Hartford posts because they are usually some of the most well-written and sophisticated posts on UP. Then you show up !!

Maybe you egg people on to get your "jollies" but I "eat" people like you everyday (around the world) for fun from my desk, ...... being that I am the ignorant one !!!!!

At first, I was thinkin "wow, this person is terribly loudmouthed and boastful." Then, I look at your location. How fitting... Some stereotypes are just true I suppose. :whistling:

At first, I was thinkin "wow, this person is terribly loudmouthed and boastful." Then, I look at your location. How fitting... Some stereotypes are just true I suppose. :whistling:

Again with your northern elitist attitude? Dude, you do realize we consider you a joke, don't you? That southern "bigot" just put you in your place, dispelled all your assumptions, and your comeback is to diss him based on where he lives...That's so incredibly lame.

I belittle things like tailgating, Wal-Mart shopping, SUV-driving, sprawl, etc. It's just what I do here.

If you're only here to belittle things you don't like or agree with, then you'll have to find someplace else to go for that, this is not that place.

That's enough to get you a 3 day suspension.

Again with your northern elitist attitude? Dude, you do realize we consider you a joke, don't you? That southern "bigot" just put you in your place, dispelled all your assumptions, and your comeback is to diss him based on where he lives...That's so incredibly lame.

His objectives are clear, and that is to put down Hartford all the time.

If not for my car's panic alarm, I would still be there looking for mine.

I actually went to the URI game and tailgated with a family that was from Manchester, England. They actually loved the game and the entire "tailgating culture". So take that Mike! Don't speak for the whole world...

Rentschler thing aside, I think mike brings up many important issues that many people refuse to see. His input helps stir some interesting debates.

I refuse to see what he says because he presents it horribly. If he fixes himself, I'm all ears, until then, I only get to see what he writes when someone quotes him because he's on "ignore". He could post the most interesting things in the world, and no one would know if he's ignored.

I refuse to see what he says because he presents it horribly. If he fixes himself, I'm all ears, until then, I only get to see what he writes when someone quotes him because he's on "ignore". He could post the most interesting things in the world, and no one would know if he's ignored.

I stopped really listening to what he had to say after his Civic Center comments. Now this just puts it over the edge. Someone is entitled to their own opinion; however the ones he makes are not only totally off but disrespectful, stupid, and childish. Is this the next CanesFan?

For people who claim to be ignoring someone, you all sure have a lot to say. Talking out of school about someone only exacerbates the problems. mikel will be welcome back after a short cooling off period. He has plenty of valid things to say, though a rather brusque way of saying them. I find myself nodding in agreement and cringing all at the same time sometimes when I read his posts.

For people who claim to be ignoring someone, you all sure have a lot to say. Talking out of school about someone only exacerbates the problems. mikel will be welcome back after a short cooling off period. He has plenty of valid things to say, though a rather brusque way of saying them. I find myself nodding in agreement and cringing all at the same time sometimes when I read his posts.

After being called a prick by this guy, I figured it was appropriate to use the ignore feature. I guess you disagree...

:rofl:

If you're only here to belittle things you don't like or agree with, then you'll have to find someplace else to go for that, this is not that place.

That's enough to get you a 3 day suspension.

:good:

I have to say I've never had a bad experenice going to the Rent. I come all the way down from Mass to go to the games(and before at Memorial Stadium). I don't tailgate when going to the games but if I could I would. I have allways parked in the Blue lot and never have had a problem getting in or out. When I was at the URI game I did talk to a few people who parked in the Red Lot's. I was told that they have a new parking company this year. It seems that they give people and extra space in some places for tailgaiting. From what I saw in the Blue lots it's not too good and I could only inmagine the Red Lot's. Hopefully they will get the kinks out before the Wake Forest game. Other than that my only problem is getting on 84 East and cutting over four lanes to get to Rt 2, but being from Mass makes it alot easier.

It looks like the roped off area is the land for cabelas, which will be starting construction as soon as the plans are reviewed.

"Construction fences have already gone up around the 25-acre Cabela's site. That will mean changes for the parking areas for football games. UConn's home schedule begins this month with an August 31 contest with the university of Rhode Island.

Laura Brubaker, Director of Public Relations, MSG-CT said "the two runways are going away." Stadium parking will now be on two large grassy portions of the former airfield painted in red on a map on the MSG-CT website."

Article from the East Hartford Gazette.

Looks Like they didn't anticipate any issues...

But what would you do if you lived in London:

london_boleyn1.jpg

or Liverpool:

liverpool_anfield1.jpg

The atmosphere outside those stadiums is unbelievably better, and there's no place to put your SUV and grill.

Mikel:

Ok, I'm sorry if you hate SUVs. Some people do NEED them!!! (I can't tow a trailer with a YUGO! Really, with a Yugo, You can't do anything!! :) ).

RayJay (aka: Raymond James Stadium -- where UConn will play USF) I'll be tailgating before cookout -- and yes it is near downtown, but still land for TAILGATING!!

JimS

Tailgating is not an American custom. Most Americans have never tailgated anything.

What!!!!!!! Most Americans never TAILGATED?

Also, regarding the southern US, I believe it is not a good model for anything Hartford needs, in fact it's one of my least favorite places on the planet. Ignorance, sprawl, obesity, that's the south of today. There are better places Hartford could take things from, anywhere else really.

Jeez, mikel, I guess Southerners should be more like NORTHEASTERNERS -- LIBERALS!! Ignorance?? Mikel, you are the IGNORANT one. Today's South is not IGNORANT - UNLESS STATE RIGHTS is a IGNORANT ISSUE to you!

Sorry if I offended anyone! I am SHOCKED that someone would say that! The SOUTH is what is driving America! I had to leave Connecticut for Florida -- because my company RELOCATED.

It's not a Connecticut tradition, it's only recently been brought here by the corporate owners of the Meadows (based in Texas) and UConn (trying to be like southern football schools).

I belittle things like tailgating, Wal-Mart shopping, SUV-driving, sprawl, etc. It's just what I do here.

Excuse me??!! UConn fans been TAILGATING ever since UConn fans been going to games. The Last years of Memorial Stadium -- people were TAILGATING in the PARKING GARAGE.

Excuse me -- if you don't want to DRIVE an SUV, it is your RIGHT not to -- it is MY RIGHT to drive a SUV! I won't belittle you for driving a compact car.

Wal*Mart shopping you hate? Jeez, I like getting the best price. If I can find it cheaper than Wal*Mart I buy it from them, but Wal*Mart helped keep inflation in check!!

Subway:

AMEN!!! Great Post!

Jim S

Hey Jim S, we are in full agreement on an issue it would seem!!

Tycoon:

I bet if we met -- we could be friends! You and I are both tycoons!! :)

Jim S

Hmmm...

Mikel, I can't say what I think of you, but you are a closed-minded jerk. (If I really say what I think of you -- UP might ban me)

JimS

I actually went to the URI game and tailgated with a family that was from Manchester, England. They actually loved the game and the entire "tailgating culture". So take that Mike! Don't speak for the whole world...

7774:

Welcome!! (I wonder what Mikel would think of the UTenn's 'Orange Navy' tailgating? The 'Orange Navy' are fans that BOAT to UTenn's FB games. I bet Mikel hate boating.)

JimS

Archived