Arizona sports

MJLO

I may be barking up the wrong tree here. Last I checked we didn't have to many sports fanatics in here. But I wanted to know peoples opinions on the Sports teams here. I know Tucson has some. Not sure about them. ASU seems to be a massive D1 university, but living in the big 10 my whole life I never really heard much about them. Is there alot of local support for these teams. Back east I was raised to be a Lions fan or a Pistons fan or what have you. The support for those teams go back to residents who have lived in those places for generations. Out here everyone seems to have moved since 1990. Without that deep rooted home influence do the pro franchises still perform well.

Let me tell you it does suck going from Being a Lions fan, to coming here and having to root for the Cards. If the two ever played each other it would be akin to the "Toilet Bowl". For once I'd like to live somewhere where the football team won games!

• 4 months later...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been reading alot about the teams that are trying to build their spring training venues in the west valley. With all of this, and the three Bowl games we have in the valley this year. I have to think that there will be a long term impact on tourism and perhaps even more people deciding to move here. Does anyone have any info on whats currently going on with all of these new stadiums, and proposals.

Side note i'm trying to get to a Suns game. They are on fire right now.

I LOVE the Suns. They are ranked first right now and I think they have a great chance at the not only the conference title but the overall title. They have extended to their FIFTEEENTH straight win!

But yea, people estimate that there will be over 1 million visitors in January due primarily to

1) Fiesta Bowl

2) BCS Bowl Championships

3) FBR Open

4) Barret Jackson Auto Auction

THis is supposed to have a billion dollar impact on the Phoenix economy! Exciting!

I think the tourism has already impacted Glendale. Westgate which was once a dump is now a lively shopping center. I think the Cardinals Stadium is gonna bring some great life to that area.

Ok I would consider myself a little more objective. I know little about the two schools, from perception though, University of Arizona seems a little more academically elite. Whereas Arizona State seems alot easier to get into, and not highly regarded academically. Of course I come from more established Universities in the midwest, namely the University of Michigan, (alma matter). I do see U of A in the rankings for Basketball, but if ASU is the Arizona benchmark for NCAA football, then we have work to do as a state.

Not to get off topic, but if you were to look at enrollment, difficulty of courses. Difficulty of acceptance, and overall acacemdic standards. Which school is more elite? My money is on U of A I gotta find my princeton review. I have this info somewhere.

Of course I come from more established Universities in the midwest, namely the University of Michigan, (alma matter). I do see U of A in the rankings for Basketball, but if ASU is the Arizona benchmark for NCAA football, then we have work to do as a state.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

While on the topic of sports, what are the chances that the now bankrupt Coyotes are going to leave for Canada? Or is the city of Glendale and the NHL going to stick to their guns and keep the team in Arizona.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not Glendale, NHL commish won't let them leave. Something about not abandoning markets. He used the example of a couple other teams that almost didn't make it but now flourish. So far as we know, Coyotes stay.

• 2 weeks later...

The first mistake is the lame A ownership and the poor decisions that have been made. The second one is the location of the stadium. Glendale out there was a poor decision. YOu can throw money at ideas like this, and it does not always work. too bad the people of Scottsdale did not allow the stadium. They are suppose to be the major tenants and I think it has affected westgate.

I hope that the Jackson Street Ent District happens someday around both stadiums and all that was planned for downtown. This can add to a great pre and post game activities.

Archived