Downtown Developments (South of Calhoun)

Spartan

What are they building between Liberty and George streets?

That project is supposed to be condos and loft apartments. I believe if you look through the Greater Chas Developments thread, the link and info on it is posted. Unfortunately, this was announced some time ago, so you might have to go through a few pages. :o

Edited by Charleston native

Wow. A new College of Charleston gym. This has been a long time comin lol. I have memories in that gym.

I am a CofC grad, but I do not support this project. The existing two gyms are to be augmented by a THIRD one? CofC basketball is a boost to dowtown, but Coach Kresse is no longer there, and it is not THAT big of a draw to justify this monster. I just think this is a MASSIVE waste of state funds, and the building will overwhelm its setting. Where in the heck will everyone park, btw? The hodgepodge of building designs--1940s gym with stark 1980s gym next to it, and now a 2000-era behemoth lurking behind those--will be extremely jarring. The list goes on and on why this is just a huge mistake . . If they demolish the two previous mistakes, and build a whole new arena with a cohesive design that does not overwhelm, well then that would get my support. But not this one.

^ I may have heard the plans incorrectly, then. The overall plan is to modernize and expand the fitness center and create a new arena at the same time.

Here's some more South of Calhoun news: Spartanburg-based First National Bank of the South is looking to expand and build a second branch DT at 140 East Bay Street. The CEO stated that there is dynamic growth opportunity in Chas. Again, I think it shows how much Chas is growing with constant additions and expansions of banks. The Chas Business Journal short link is below:

First National Bank of the South seeks to open East Bay street branch

• 2 weeks later...

I just came from a daytrip to Charleston--it was wonderful, of course!

I saw several projects going on: the HUGE CofC building going up between King and St. Philip, the building on George Street that replaced the old Family Y, and streetscaping going up King, even past the usual limits of the shopping district. However, I find NONE of these even getting a mention on here! I find this puzzling and very frustrating. :huh:

It makes me suspect that the only posters on the whole Charleston forum are by those like me who don't even live there, with maybe one exception. If this is true, how can we ever find out about these projects? We need locals who are in the know! We who don't live in the Charleston area are curious and want to see the renderings of these projects, get details, etc. Please, won't a Charlestonian post something on these exciting developments so that others may appreciate them, and share in your enthusiasm?

Come out, come out, wherever you are! . . . and post . . . for crying out loud . . . :angry:

I saw several projects going on: the HUGE CofC building going up between King and St. Philip, the building on George Street that replaced the old Family Y, and streetscaping going up King, even past the usual limits of the shopping district. However, I find NONE of these even getting a mention on here! I find this puzzling and very frustrating. :huh:

It makes me suspect that the only posters on the whole Charleston forum are by those like me who don't even live there, with maybe one exception. If this is true, how can we ever find out about these projects? We need locals who are in the know! We who don't live in the Charleston area are curious and want to see the renderings of these projects, get details, etc. Please, won't a Charlestonian post something on these exciting developments so that others may appreciate them, and share in your enthusiasm?

Come out, come out, wherever you are! . . . and post . . . for crying out loud . . . :angry:

I would post more, but I live in Goose Creek and go to Clemson so I rarely ever see whats downtown but ill post when I find out stuff...

Bingo! Most of the people who post on Charleston don't live there! That doesn't mean that our opinions aren't valid, but we do need more locals to come out and support their city. Even the local people who don't live there can't be expected to keep up with everything...

I also hope that more Charleston lurkers will come out and support their city. There are so many exciting things going on in South Carolina's most urban city, and we need to know about them! :)

Anything you can do to help is appreciated. I know that everytime I go down there I see something new going on. I try to post about them, but I can't always remember where I was when I saw them!

Thanks everyone for offering to post when they can. We just need MORE of you so that you don't have to be burdened with it all.

It still mystifies me that the Charleston forum is so sparsely populated with locals, even though it is the model of what is "urban" in our state (and region), is prominent for several of its New Urbanist developments, has an Urban Studies and Historic Preservation program at the local university, and is the most hotly debated of all cities in the state when it comes to smart growth, planning, conservation, etc.--especially within its own borders. Not much of a forum with no debate going on . . . -_-

Those passionate about urban issues in Charleston must be too busy with their work on the Committee to Save the City, attending BAR meetings, or writing their next letter to the editor, huh? They do have other outlets to vent, after all, than here . . . that must be it. :)

^ I think the main reason why there aren't as many locals involved with the Chas forum as there are with G'ville and Cola is because many locals do not know of this venue. I've tried in several editorial letters to the P & C to plug UrbanPlanet, but the paper manages to not publish it. If more locals knew about the opportunity UP provides to publically vent their concerns, announce more developments, and debate local issues, we would see more local representation. Ever since I joined this forum, I've felt that I need to participate in this forum more than the others since it is underrepresented. I'm with you dig; to all current (and former ;) ) Charlestonians out there, get on here and start posting!

To add some more news for South of Calhoun, the article link below highlights new bank locations and relocations that will occur in lower DT. Five banks are set to either switch local headquarters or open new offices on the lower peninsula. The moves involve National Bank of South Carolina, South Carolina Bank and Trust, Carolina First, SunTrust, and First National Bank of the South.

5 banks on the move

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some small news in today's P & C, but it is still good! The article link is below.

A new full-service bridal boutique, Maddison Row, recently opened at 45 Hasell St. Also, Ye Ole Fashioned Ice Cream & Cafe is planning to finally open a downtown location at the former spot of Sharky's Pizza, 306 King St. It will be a 60-seat cafe with parking in the back.

Business Shorts

• 2 weeks later...

I go to CofC and walk by the St. Philip St. projectS, Ill take some pictures and post some soon. ProjectS, you say? Yes thats right, they just recently broke ground on another project that is an addition to the arts center at the corner of Calhoun and St. P. The school refers to the larger project on St. Philip as the "George St. Project" since George is commonly known as the heart of campus. The George St project is set to be a large mixed-use complex with retail lining George and St. P, and dorms above them on the George St and Liberty St sides. In the middle will be a large parking garage (it is actually about 40+ spaces bigger than the old one on the site). As part of the land acquisition from the city, the College was also required to build a smaller parking garage on Queen St. btwn King and Archdale (St. Philip ext.).

If youve been watching the BAR, youll know that the school is also struggling with the Board about conceptual approval of new construction of a science center on a site that is currently a large surface lot at the corner of Calhoun and Coming.

FYI, the Campus Master Plan has plans for development of the entire block that fronts on Calhoun between St. P and Coming within the next 30 years. It sounds like a lot of building, but keep in mind that this is where the embarrassing concrete BellSouth building is currently. The school has also pledged to not buy any more homes in the area for College use.

Hi cofcsam, and welcome to the UP! Glad to see a current Charlestonian on board. Thanks so much for that in-depth look at the development at C of C. The college sure has grown over the years, and it is just amazing to know that the college has such a grand master plan for the entire campus.

I'll tell ya, I cannot wait to see what the college will do with that old BellSouth building. It has been an eyesore for many years...give it time, some people might even designate it as a historic landmark! :lol: My hope is that the college will completely demolish the building and build a signature structure about 5-10 stories taller than the nearby Francis Marion. This could be a dormitory mixed with offices and retail (retail would be street level of course), and the streets around it would undergo a renovation with burying utility lines and installing light posts and traffic light masts.

However, knowing the kind of buildings C of C has, it will probably be 8-10 stories max. They like low-profile construction.

Hi cofcsam, and welcome to the UP! Glad to see a current Charlestonian on board. Thanks so much for that in-depth look at the development at C of C. The college sure has grown over the years, and it is just amazing to know that the college has such a grand master plan for the entire campus.

I'll tell ya, I cannot wait to see what the college will do with that old BellSouth building. It has been an eyesore for many years...give it time, some people might even designate it as a historic landmark! :lol: My hope is that the college will completely demolish the building and build a signature structure about 5-10 stories taller than the nearby Francis Marion. This could be a dormitory mixed with offices and retail (retail would be street level of course), and the streets around it would undergo a renovation with burying utility lines and installing light posts and traffic light masts.

However, knowing the kind of buildings C of C has, it will probably be 8-10 stories max. They like low-profile construction.

please...the lovely and talented preservationists would not even want 8 to 10 floors! :rolleyes:

I dont think Charleston will ever be a place very conducive to anything but low-profile building. Even the Addlestone Library-which has one of the largest footprints in the city-is pretty low-profile and isn't a sore thumb to the area. I think they are planning for something like a new student center or residence halls on the Calhoun block. As for the BellSouth Building, Im sure Historic Charleston will put up a fight once it is up for demolition. In "The Buildings of Charleston," published by the Historic Chas Foundation, it says that the BellSouth Building is one of the better designed office buildings in the city. That may be true from the outside, but the inside is a maze of dark, unventilated hallways, classrooms, and offices. [i was mainly talking about the building that is on the corner of Calhoun and Coming that is the building that BellSouth currently uses for offices.] Although Im sure that the building will run into the same issues as the Rivers Federal Building with the asbestos, etc. since it was built in the 40s and 50s.

Pictures still coming soon...

I dont think Charleston will ever be a place very conducive to anything but low-profile building. Even the Addlestone Library-which has one of the largest footprints in the city-is pretty low-profile and isn't a sore thumb to the area. I think they are planning for something like a new student center or residence halls on the Calhoun block. As for the BellSouth Building, Im sure Historic Charleston will put up a fight once it is up for demolition. In "The Buildings of Charleston," published by the Historic Chas Foundation, it says that the BellSouth Building is one of the better designed office buildings in the city...

This ought to show many people how out-of-touch the foundation is on what a well-designed office building should be. The BellSouth building is a mid-20th century concrete block. How is that actually architecturally appealing and conducive to a good working environment? I don't think any areas south of Calhoun should have highrises, but the MUSC/Lockwood area, the Neck, and certain places north of Calhoun have the capability for them. Locating them here won't take away from the historic district.

Here's some more news. A 5-story addition that would add meeting space and 37 new rooms to the Holiday Inn Historic District in Charleston was approved last night by the BAR. The project will improve the intersection of Calhoun and Meeting streets, diagonally across from Marion Square. The plan also calls for a new, 2-story dining room at the corner, connecting to the existing hotel and the addition on Meeting Street.

Board says OK to hotel project