Downtown Developments (South of Calhoun)

Spartan

Apple is putting a store in at 301 King Street - former home to Granny's Goodies and Cumberlands. Not sure when it's expected to open, but they've already begun renovations on the building.

It will be interesting to see if Apple's stainless steel facade makes it past the BAR...

Great news. In Germantown, TN, Apple fought with the town for a very long time over their facade and sign. The town does not allow corporate logos in signs. Finally they compromised and Apple just put their logo next to the door. There is no other sign signifying that it is an Apple store. Yet, I've heard it is one of top performers in the country.

• 2 months later...

As far as the potential design of the Apple Store on King Street, Boston just got a new Apple store either downtown or in some other urban area of the city. I found the following pics online; they might give us an idea of what to expect in Charleston:

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

22-1.jpg

23-1.jpg

15-1.jpg

20-1.jpg

I think it blends in rather tastefully with its historic surroundings.

As far as the potential design of the Apple Store on King Street, Boston just got a new Apple store either downtown or in some other urban area of the city. I found the following pics online; they might give us an idea of what to expect in Charleston:

I think it blends in rather tastefully with its historic surroundings.

Dear lord, I hope they don't do that. :scared:

• 3 weeks later...

Concord Project gets 30 extra days to close

I didn't realize the open space in this project was so large. It is equal to Marion Square. This should be yet another great public space just as Marion Square, White Point Gardens, and Waterfront Park all are.

Given the lousy economy, it is pretty significant that all of the major projects in Charleston are still moving forward. Thsoe being this project, the Midtown project, Magnolia, and Long Savannah. All except Long Savannah are DT, too.

Just this week Long Savannah received a unanimous approval from the Planning Commission.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

From the most recent BAR agenda for 2-25-09:

79 Wentworth Street - - TMS #457-08-01-069

Request conceptual approval for new construction of seven-story mixed-use building.

The location is on Wentworth between King and St. Phillip streets. The PDF version of the agenda has some preliminary sketches of the building. Looks like it will have two tiers of setbacks for the upper levels.

• 1 month later...

Request conceptual approval for new construction of seven-story mixed-use building.

The location is on Wentworth between King and St. Phillip streets. The PDF version of the agenda has some preliminary sketches of the building. Looks like it will have two tiers of setbacks for the upper levels.

The BAR agenda for this month says the structure will be a six-story hotel (page 9). Seems to be a tight squeeze for a hotel, even in the Holy City.

A little history on the existing building . . when I was in college at CofC (we won't say when, but you may be able to tell in a sec), the building housed a sporting goods store where I used to get my Russell nylon soccer shorts in all the colors popular at the time: navy blue, light blue, orange, burgundy, green, etc. Although not in a historic building, the little store seemed to fit right in, and no one even noticed that it wasn't as old as the Huguley's office products store next door, or the rest of the street's store fronts.

It is hard to believe that a six-story hotel will fit into (and over) this space. :blink: I say go for it, though--great density!

A little history on the existing building . . when I was in college at CofC (we won't say when, but you may be able to tell in a sec), the building housed a sporting goods store where I used to get my Russell nylon soccer shorts in all the colors popular at the time: navy blue, light blue, orange, burgundy, green, etc. Although not in a historic building, the little store seemed to fit right in, and no one even noticed that it wasn't as old as the Huguley's office products store next door, or the rest of the street's store fronts.

It is hard to believe that a six-story hotel will fit into (and over) this space. :blink: I say go for it, though--great density!

Was this the Sportsmans store?

Welcome to UP, Zuman! I cannot remember the name, it has been so long. It actually sold more apparel than "goods" as I said in my earlier post. That might have been it, though. Were you a shopper at the store, too?

Well I know the Sportmans shop was on Wentworth. It was in business there a number of years. When I was young my dad would take me there to get my athletic gear and I think we got our team uniforms from there too. There may have been a N Chuck location too.

Welcome to UP, Zuman! I cannot remember the name, it has been so long. It actually sold more apparel than "goods" as I said in my earlier post. That might have been it, though. Were you a shopper at the store, too?

I just did alittle quick research. The Sportman's Shop was located at 79 Wentworth!

I just did alittle quick research. The Sportman's Shop was located at 79 Wentworth!

That must've been it, then! Good find.

Glad my memory of all things downtown Charleston hasn't faded too bad. I must get down there again soon to see what else has changed. My last visit was back in early October. Time for another Art Walk, me thinks.

This project is amazing in its density. Sure would be nice to see more of this sort of infill or redevelopment going on. At the top of my list is the Post & Courier building, and the vacant lots (and bad development like the ugly U-Haul place) around it along King Street to Line Street.

• 10 months later...

It appears as though the Charleston skyline is getting an addition, the only kind it could really get. The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist on Broad Street is getting a new steeple. Of course, the plans for the addition breezed through the Board of Architectural Review pretty easily. While construction could begin in the middle of next year, the price tag for the project isn't known yet.

The article has a rendering of how the church would look with the new steeple.

The new steeple has finally been erected, and the Holy City gets a new addition to the skyline. Check out the gallery from the P&C website here.