Downtown Developments (North of Calhoun)

Spartan

Sounds like a great project all the way around. I love the design.

And, it should start soon!!

The area around the Midtown project, which this is, is about to just explode, no doubt.

I like what they did with the top floor it seems to have something unique to it. Overall very nice! I'm not sure if I like the screened in porches in the rear of the building may come off strange but I guess they're trying to blend it in with those houses behind it.

Does anyone know the name of the program which creates these renderings anyway? I wanted to play around with it if I can get a lead on what it's called and where to get it.

I like what they did with the top floor it seems to have something unique to it. Overall very nice! I'm not sure if I like the screened in porches in the rear of the building may come off strange but I guess they're trying to blend it in with those houses behind it.

Does anyone know the name of the program which creates these renderings anyway? I wanted to play around with it if I can get a lead on what it's called and where to get it.

This rendering/project is done with Autodesk Revit Architecture. Its a Building Information Modeling (BIM) program used to produce architectural and engineering drawings.

I'm sure it won't be long before residents of the single houses that will be behind this development will oppose the project because it's blocking their view, LOL.

LOL, that is what it looks like, but those houses are facing the other way, Krazee. That little porch is the back of that house on the right.

• 1 month later...

MUSC has requested approval from the BAR to begin construction of a four-story, 100,000-square-foot building that will house the S.C. Bioengineering Center. The bioengineering building should cost $55 million will open in 2010. A 120,000-square-foot dental building already under construction is slated for completion August 2009. The third building is a 114,000-square-foot drug discovery building that will comprise laboratory and biotech start-up space and is scheduled for completion by August 2010.

Article

I check MUSC's website for renderings, but no luck for me.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a piece from the Charleston City Paper about the future of the Upper King "design district" (that's the first time I've ever heard that term used for it). It talks about how this economy is forcing some of the local stores to close, how an increased police presence is a concern for merchants, and about how many of the vacant shops are getting snapped up quickly by higher-end stores and restaurants. It's a good read.

FINALLY! Spring and Cannon Streets are being converted to 2-way streets--woo hoo!! :yahoo: I argued for this change long ago in this forum, because not only is it a no-brainer, but I also used to live on Cannon Street, and I remember how drivers abused it (speeding especially). It made the neighborhoods of Elliotborough and Cannonborough dangerous for pedestrians and bikers, noisy at all hours, and unsafe for parking on the street. Now, residents and pedestrians alike will get a more human scale, a bikable/walkable boost, and more peace and quiet (hopefully).

Here is the article in the P&C: http://www.charleston.net/news/2009/feb/25...way_stree72901/

Upper King has been known as the "Design District" for a while. If you need home decorating things, there are lots of great stores around there to choose from... well there were if they haven't closed. There are so many rehabs happening on the Peninsula that there's a pretty solid market for it.

As for Spring and Cannon, I agree. Those are two irritating streets for a one way pair, and I've never really understood why they are that way. i'd also like to see them convert all of King St to two way.

Upper King has been known as the "Design District" for a while. If you need home decorating things, there are lots of great stores around there to choose from... well there were if they haven't closed. There are so many rehabs happening on the Peninsula that there's a pretty solid market for it.

As for Spring and Cannon, I agree. Those are two irritating streets for a one way pair, and I've never really understood why they are that way. i'd also like to see them convert all of King St to two way.

And the article says that Coming Street may be next--that would be great! I also used to live on Coming, and traffic on it is way too fast as well.

I wonder if most of Ashley and Rutledge Avenues are still one-way? The article says "parts" of those have been made 2-way, but doesn't say which blocks have been converted. (Sections of those streets were already made 2-way, so they may mean some of the remaining blocks have been converted.) I would think the article would have said "the rest" instead of "part" if all of those streets are now 2-way. Does anyone know for sure?

Anyhow, here's hoping this trend continues!

I would think that Ashley and Rutledge would be kept as a 1-way pair... but I suppose that could change too. I've had friends who lived on Coming near CofC and traffic there was fairly annoying and moved pretty fast.

I'm guessing that they want to more evenly disperse traffic throughout the peninsula, rather than focus it on a few streets. Lockwood, Meeting, and East Bay seem to carry most of the traffic north/south; Broad, Calhoun, and the Crosstown for east/west. I'd really like to see a transportation plan for downtown Charleston.

Personally, I think if they're going to do away with the arteries into and out of downtown Charleston, they should at the very least abolish the street parking on Calhoun Street.

But I don't forsee that happening.

Welcome to UP, Swifty! Interesting idea . . . trying to navigate through Calhoun, with all its lane shifting, parking spaces, and pedestrians IS a nightmare. I don't forsee any streamlining there, either. Calhoun is just a disaster.

At the top of my wish list for downtown CHAS arteries is to streetscape the Crosstown. It needs SO much work, I don't even know where to begin with it . . . a wide median with trees, safe pedestrian crosswalks, etc., etc.

Welcome to UP, Swifty! Interesting idea . . . trying to navigate through Calhoun, with all its lane shifting, parking spaces, and pedestrians IS a nightmare. I don't forsee any streamlining there, either. Calhoun is just a disaster.

At the top of my wish list for downtown CHAS arteries is to streetscape the Crosstown. It needs SO much work, I don't even know where to begin with it . . . a wide median with trees, safe pedestrian crosswalks, etc., etc.

In an ideal world, the crosstown would be elevated with public space underneath. I just don't think there's enough room to do any significant streetscaping. And no one is going to let the city repeat the 1960s and just plow through and tear down more structures for the sake of the crosstown.

Incidentally, these are things I dream about while sitting in traffic on these respective roads.

An elevated structure would make the thing worse than it is today.

Does the Crosstown really need 6 lanes? I've never been on it at a time when all lanes are necessary. I've also never been on it at rush hour, which IMO is the only time it could possibly be needed. Conceivably, if the lanes were reduced to two in each direction, you'd have room for trees, wider sidewalks, and turning lanes, which would allow through traffic to flow unimpeded.

An elevated structure would make the thing worse than it is today.

Does the Crosstown really need 6 lanes? I've never been on it at a time when all lanes are necessary. I've also never been on it at rush hour, which IMO is the only time it could possibly be needed. Conceivably, if the lanes were reduced to two in each direction, you'd have room for trees, wider sidewalks, and turning lanes, which would allow through traffic to flow unimpeded.

Agreed. The crosstown could be cut to 4 lanes, repaved and leveled, and a proper street and landscape put in with 6 lanes only at intersections for turn lanes and incoming merge lanes. (Much smaller scale, but in Charlotte they cut a street here named East Blvd from 4 lanes to 2 lanes on a stretch and it actually reduced traffic and congestion)

I think the Crosstown could be a great feature of the cityscape in addition to the utility it is now. I'm only there (downtown) on some weekends and random week days right now when I get out of Charlotte for a couple days. Hopefully I'll be there full time as a resident of Charleston soon! (maybe my opinions of the crosstown will change...)

• 4 weeks later...

I never thought about it like that, but that's true. The new Hilton will be to the north, the Francis Marion hotel is to the west, and the Mendel Rivers Federal Building is to the east. It's almost like these structures tower over the square, protecting it.

While I myself would like to see more revitalization take place on upper King, I really hope it doesn't become an extension of lower King. I like the local, down home flavor of upper King. It actually reminds me of Orangeburg's main street, Russell Street. It seems to be the place that a lot of locals would patronize before going down to lower King. I say keep the higher-end stores on lower King, and the city should try to make sure that locals aren't pushed out along upper King.

I would love to see the property owner(s) of the old County Library proceed with razing the building. I realize contruction of the new Hilton is not on the horizon, but that library building is, IMHO, one of worse eyesores DT. If nothing more, if they razed the this building the land could be used as a temporary parking lot or used to expand the farmers market until construction gets underway.

The Hilton will be a great addition to that area once built! I like the architectural drawings that I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. The crosstown could be cut to 4 lanes, repaved and leveled, and a proper street and landscape put in with 6 lanes only at intersections for turn lanes and incoming merge lanes. (Much smaller scale, but in Charlotte they cut a street here named East Blvd from 4 lanes to 2 lanes on a stretch and it actually reduced traffic and congestion)

I think the Crosstown could be a great feature of the cityscape in addition to the utility it is now. I'm only there (downtown) on some weekends and random week days right now when I get out of Charlotte for a couple days. Hopefully I'll be there full time as a resident of Charleston soon! (maybe my opinions of the crosstown will change...)

Uhh oh I'm feeling like people are gonna resist this idea on here but I think the crosstown should be elevated, too. Upper level for express traffic across the peninsula with a light rail line while the lower level is for local traffic. The light rail runs south down the interstate from the airport and eventually into West Ashley where Gerald's is (that circle there).

Allow the easy movement between levels and we're in business.

Go Riverdogs!

I'm a little uneasy when it comes to demolishing existing structures when there's not another structure planned to immediately take their place. It makes for an interruption in the urban fabric, even if it's an ugly, unoccupied building and I just HATE seeing surface lots along such a high-profile street.

That's understandable. But maybe that space could be used as a temporary extension of Marion Sq., dedicated for additional space for the Farmers Market until construction gets started on the hotel (which could be years away).

I'm generally not in favor of raising roads off of the ground. Its expensive and unnecessary. It will just increase congestion by forcing people to get on the crosstown at a couple of 'exits' rather than using the many intersections, which disperse traffic pretty effectively. Not only that, the urban fabric is destroyed by anything that functions like an interstate.

I'm generally not in favor of raising roads off of the ground. Its expensive and unnecessary. It will just increase congestion by forcing people to get on the crosstown at a couple of 'exits' rather than using the many intersections, which disperse traffic pretty effectively. Not only that, the urban fabric is destroyed by anything that functions like an interstate.

Totally right, if we were to simply raise the crosstown it would act as an interstate and destroy the urban fabric of the area. But that's not what I'm advocating. The lower level will fully integrate the two areas with lights at every block and nicely groomed landscaping and walkways. The 2 lane expressway (4 lanes if both directions are combined) will have shoots that go down to the local level so those on the expressway can exit the crosstown easily without the bottlenecks we see on exits such as Rutledge ave. Add in a rail line that will finally give people a fast option to the airport (rather than the time consuming CARTA), Charleston will be well on its way

That's understandable. But maybe that space could be used as a temporary extension of Marion Sq., dedicated for additional space for the Farmers Market until construction gets started on the hotel (which could be years away).

Yeah they're stretched for space out there anyway the space can even be used for an outdoor cafe maybe on an intermittent basis until the hotel rumbles around.

The cafe can spill right out onto park space and offer a nice option for drinks and lounging for the young park going group

• 4 weeks later...