Downtown Developments (North of Calhoun)

Spartan

I've noticed recently that MUSC may have actually gotten a new logo, seen here on its homepage:

http://www.musc.edu/

and in this announcement (apparently it debuted quite awhile ago):

http://www.musc.edu/catalyst/archive/2007/co9-28newlogo.html

What do y'all think of it? What do you think of choosing one of their newer towers as their logo? Was that a good move?

Even though not mentioned in the article, I just hope that this means the MUSC signage will FINALLY have a uniform look, and that much-needed directional signage will be installed. The campus has suffered for years with its hodgepodge of building signage accumulated over the years. Can't wait to see all those old clunkers removed and replaced with new, attractive ones!

Edited by digital_sandlapper

I've noticed recently that MUSC may have actually gotten a new logo, seen here on its homepage:

http://www.musc.edu/

and in this announcement (apparently it debuted quite awhile ago):

http://www.musc.edu/catalyst/archive/2007/co9-28newlogo.html

What do y'all think of it? What do you think of choosing one of their newer towers as their logo? Was that a good move?

Even though not mentioned in the article, I just hope that this means the MUSC signage will FINALLY have a uniform look, and that much-needed directional signage will be installed. The campus has suffered for years with its hodgepodge of building signage accumulated over the years. Can't wait to see all those old clunkers removed and replaced with new, attractive ones!

I can't speak for the signage around the campus, but since they canged the logo a few years ago, I've seen several ads in major magazines (Newsweek and I think SI). My only complaints about the adds... it doesn't say where it's located.

• 1 month later...

Good article in yesterday's edition of the P&C about Calhoun Street, particularly the eastern portion going towards the aquarium. Essentially, it's about the city's development of a plan to guide future development in the area. Preservationists have concerns, though (it wouldn't be Charleston if they didn't).

• 1 month later...

One of the specific concerns about the Calhoun/East Bay plan is the location of a multistory hotel at that corner. Also, another proposal that has concerned some neighborhood groups is the idea of allowing commercial developments with fewer on-site parking spaces. The idea is that people could park in garages nearby, and development could focus more on the needs of pedestrians. Neighborhood groups, which battled a similar proposal in Charleston and pressured the zoning staff to drop the idea, believe that people will park in residential areas rather than walk from parking garages.

It won't change anything if they have no parking requirements in Charleston. People already park where they want to anyway, or they have no idea where to park so they park where ever. IMO, parking requirements should be removed and replaced with more pedestrian requirements since those cost considerably less in space restricted locations.

I tend to be on the side that would prefer not to see too many new hotels. I would rather see more land designated for high density housing. A 9-12 floor condo project on the East Bay/Calhoun corner would be nice. Put retail on the ground level, parking on levels 2 & 3 and housing units on the upper floors.

• 9 months later...

The BAR will be reviewing plans for a new 115 hotel on Meeting St. at this week's meeting. Architectural designs begin on page 91. Also, though technically I think this is southside of Calhoun St., BAR will

be reviewing plans for a new 4 story office building. Architectural designs begin on page 16.

http://www.charlesto...resentation.pdf

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At the Oct 13 BAR meeting, plans will be reviewed for a new 4-story Hilton Hotel at 33-35 Lockwood Blvd. This would be next door to the Courtyard Marriott.

Here's the BAR meeting agenda for the 10/13 - scroll down to the bottom for the Hilton site and rough building designs.

http://www.charlestoncity.info/shared/docs/0/10.13.10%20image%20overview%20pdf.pdf

There are a lot of hotels in this one.

• The Courtyard Marriott at 125 Calhoun is pretty nice. I wish more hotels looked like this.
  • The hotel at 425 Meeting is more exciting though. That is filling in a vacant lot, and will be an improvement to the pedestrian environment in that area.
  • The Hilton is by far my least favorite. Obviously it's designed to front the river, so I guess it's ok in that regard.

• 3 months later...

Maybe some progress for the old Rivers Federal Bldg. on Calhoun. BAR will review conceptual approval at this week's meeting to convert the building to a hotel. Just about any use would be better than a big empty building but I would prefer to see the building converted into an office building.

Also being reviewed at the BAR meeting this week s a proposed 6-floor condo project at 411 Meeting St.. aka Midtown.

Link in today's P&C biz section:

http://www.postandco.../news/business/

Now, when is something going to happen with the old King St. county library demo and replacement hotel project??

Last I heard, the library project is still working it's way through the courts. Preservationists are fighting the height variance.

That's the latest news I heard also. I wish for now they would tear the old library down since it could take months to resolve in court and for construction to get underway.

The old library is a terrible eyesore in a high profile area of the city.

• 3 weeks later...

Three businessman plan to turn a former liquor distribution warehouse on Columbus Street into a bowling alley that offers food and drinks. The Alley, which takes the name of a similar venture the business partners run in Raleigh, could open by early fall in a 14,100-square-foot, block-long building between a Piggly Wiggly supermarket and a U-Haul store. The Alley will be open for lunch and dinner in the front of the building, will offer outdoor dining and include eight bowling lanes in the rear.

bowl_t600.jpg

gx12thealley_t600.jpg

Three businessman plan to turn a former liquor distribution warehouse on Columbus Street into a bowling alley that offers food and drinks. The Alley, which takes the name of a similar venture the business partners run in Raleigh, could open by early fall in a 14,100-square-foot, block-long building between a Piggly Wiggly supermarket and a U-Haul store. The Alley will be open for lunch and dinner in the front of the building, will offer outdoor dining and include eight bowling lanes in the rear.

bowl_t600.jpg

gx12thealley_t600.jpg

This could be a good addition to the downtown entertainment scene, and these guys appear to know what they're doing. Here's a link to The Alley in Raleigh:

http://www.bowlthealley.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Although this project is not 'concrete', the potential to DOUBLE the height allowance is quite interesting. I wonder if this will be considered too precedence-setting.

I worry about the precedent it sets, but since the on/off ramps are nearly as high, it is hard not to see this as an allowable exception.

100 Ft Height building considered for peninsula

Edited by vicupstate

Charleston City Council will be asked this evening to allow for construction of buildings up to 100 feet tall on a collection of properties at the corner of Huger and Meeting streets. City planning officials say there's no detailed plan connected to the zoning change, which would double the allowable height of buildings there from the current 50 feet. The city only allows buildings as tall as 100 feet at limited locations on the peninsula. The properties being considered for the zoning change are adjacent to Interstate 26 and ramps to the Ravenel Bridge.

gx22tallbuildings_t600.jpg?4326734cdb8e39baa3579048ef63ad7b451e7676

City Council approved the change with apparently little fanfare. The Crosstown Freeway will get an $11.5mm makeover as well.

There must be a potential investor that requested the height change. Perhaps for an apartment building. I would have been okay with allowing 120' - 140' in this area.

• 1 month later...

Maybe some progress for the old Rivers Federal Bldg. on Calhoun. BAR will review conceptual approval at this week's meeting to convert the building to a hotel. Just about any use would be better than a big empty building but I would prefer to see the building converted into an office building.

Also being reviewed at the BAR meeting this week s a proposed 6-floor condo project at 411 Meeting St.. aka Midtown.

Link in today's P&C biz section:

http://www.postandco.../news/business/

Now, when is something going to happen with the old King St. county library demo and replacement hotel project??

BAR gave conceptual approval in March to convert the old Rivers Federal Bldg into a 120 room hotel. Last night, the developer went back to the BAR seeking approval for 41 additional rooms for a total of 161 rooms. Also, and I don't know the specifics, but the developer is requesting a height variance. I'm not sure if this is related to the 41 rooms and/or a rooftop lounge area. The developer is Dewberry Capital based in Atlanta. The firm's prinicipal executive and owner, John Dewberry, owns a second home in downtown Charleston. I do not know if the BAR approved the 41 rooms and height variance or not last evening.

• 4 months later...

It appears that construction work is underway at the old Rivers Federal Bldg on Meeting St., but I haven't seen any recent updates in the Chas media concerning the project. I just checked Dewberry Capital's (developer) website but the site is being re-done and there's nothing but a banner page.

Separately, the proposed Hilton Garden hotel at 34 Lockwood Blvd. has cleared BAR approvals so construction could begin soon.

• 3 weeks later...