Downtown Developments (North of Calhoun)

Spartan

22 hours ago, vicupstate said:

November BAR Agenda

Includes:

Children's Museum addition

Mixed use project 575-579 Meeting that will include some demo and some renovation to other buildings as well as new construction.

Pg 87 has a great display of all the projects on Upper Meeting. 

695-699 Meeting St. 3 story apartment building

Revised design for 677 King St.    

I hate the Children's Museum addition. Looks totally out of place. They need to just move this museum elsewhere it does not fit in with everything around it. It isn't very big either and for a city with this many museums, you would expect something more substantial.

THIS LINK WON"T STAY LONG, so look now. 

The Children's Museum is not really a museum, is it?

4 hours ago, vicupstate said:

^^ I haven't been to it. What do you mean it isn't really a museum?

When I think of museums, I think of places that display items of historical and/or artistic interest.  I don't believe there's anything at the Children's Museum that meets that criteria.    But I haven't visited either so maybe I'm missing something.

• 2 months later...

The BAR will consider giving conceptual approval for a new 5-floor, 100 room  Hilton Club ("Liberty") hotel at 575 East Bay St.   This is former location of the old Channel 5 television station and currently a City Flagship Incubator office.

Feb 8 BAR Agenda w/Images:

http://www.charleston-sc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_02072018-3520

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, ZUMAN2 said:

The BAR will consider giving conceptual approval for a new 5-floor, 100 room  Hilton Club ("Liberty") hotel at 575 East Bay St.   This is former location of the old Channel 5 television station and currently a City Flagship Incubator office.

Okay, it's not really a hotel, it's a timeshare.

https://www.postandcourier.com/business/room-timeshare-on-starbucks-site-gets-green-light-from-charleston/article_293199f6-0b5c-11e8-a03a-df7c0f67ff27.html

hilton.png

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, ZUMAN2 said:

BAR rejected plans at its Feb 7 meeting:

https://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/TheBattery/archives/2018/02/08/proposed-100-unit-timeshare-on-calhoun-and-east-bay-failed-to-clear-bar

• 1 month later...

Truly amazing how dense the upper peninsula is getting.  Apparently this project is so far North that it is outside of BAR jurisdiction and is instead under a different board, the Design Review Board.  323 apartments plus retail. At 8 stories it should be the tallest building for at least a radius of a mile or two, except for the high rise HUD project nearby.   So much going up from the city limits on the Neck to the Crosstown expressway.     

1304 Meeting Street apartment mixed use project

Start at page 44. Pages 57-59 have renderings. Page 77 is what is there now. 

Edit: more on the topic of the No Mo  area:

NOMO area getting too pricey for offices.

Developer Stephen Zoukis, the man who helped give NoMo its Boho vibe, thinks the upper peninsula hot spot might be losing its mojo.

"I used to think this neighborhood would be Charleston's new office district. Now, I'm not so sure," said Zoukis who, along with business partner Michael Wooddy, built the Half Mile North and Pacific Box & Crate projects along Charleston's Neck area that spurred a vibrant mix of technology firms, specialty shops and trendy restaurants to migrate to the area.

Zoukis said NoMo, named for its north Morrison Drive location, may be getting too popular — and pricey — for its own good. His comments come after a Mount Pleasant investment firm paid $9.1 million in December for a 7.2-acre site at 838 Morrison Drive and the International Longshoremen's Association's announcement this month that it will sell its union headquarters about a mile up the road for what's expected to be an even larger sum.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:29 AM, vicupstate said:

Truly amazing how dense the upper peninsula is getting.  Apparently this project is so far North that it is outside of BAR jurisdiction and is instead under a different board, the Design Review Board.  323 apartments plus retail. At 8 stories it should be the tallest building for at least a radius of a mile or two, except for the high rise HUD project nearby.   So much going up from the city limits on the Neck to the Crosstown expressway.     

1304 Meeting Street apartment mixed use project

Start at page 44. Pages 57-59 have renderings. Page 77 is what is there now. 

Edit: more on the topic of the No Mo  area:

NOMO area getting too pricey for offices.

The DRB nixed (or "deferred") proposed plans for the 1304 Meeting St project.  Item #4.  Not surprising.

http://www.charleston-sc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_03192018-3633

• 4 weeks later...

I will try to snap some updated pics next time on my commute from Ladson into Mount P.  Growth is crazy here.  Everywhere you look there is construction.  I grew up in Anderson, SC and moved here 8 years ago.  Pretty wild how fast everything is changing.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:01 PM, ZUMAN2 said:

The BAR did give conceptual approval a few weeks ago.  The project is now dubbed as Liberty Place Charleston by Hilton Club.  Construction is slated to begin by EOY 2019 with completion 2Q 2020.

https://www.postandcourier.com/business/construction-start-date-set-for-hilton-timeshare-project-on-charleston/article_6a5c791a-4341-11e8-b395-fb08c8502a21.html

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 1:43 PM, vicupstate said:

Bennett Hotel now taking reservations

Room rates range from $407 to $2,677 per night plus taxes.

13 years from announcement to completion.  Due to height the project was in litigation for most of that time. 

$2,677?!?!? That is beyond insane. :shok: Why would anybody with half a brain pay that? 

• Like 1

Gentrification driving churches off the penisula

Six historically black churches have left or considered leaving the peninsula in recent years. 

Median sales price for homes north of Crosstown expressway have risen from 74,500 in 1996 to 325,000 in 2014.   My guess is you can add another $100-250k to that number in the years since.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Charleston Law School site set to sell for millions

A downtown lot purchased as a potential location for the Charleston School of Law may be on track to become one of the largest hotels on the peninsula. 

Construction plans to build a 252-room lodging at Meeting and Woolfe streets were recently submitted to the city’s Technical Review Committee.  

The property is listed for sale at $12.5 million, with a contract pending.

The city first bought the lot in 2005 for about $1.17 million and sold it to the for-profit school at a discount, for $875,000. Originally, if the lot wasn’t developed, the profit from a sale would go to the city. 

But when landowners were given a reprieve on development deadlines during the recession, the school’s timeline to develop the lot was extended, and, in that time, the arrangement was changed.

The law school will receive 75 percent of the profits from a sale, after expenses, and the city will get the remaining 25 percent, meaning the school could net about $9 million from the transactions before commissions.  

Charleston School of Law president Ed Bell has said that the profits would be used to build at a different site on the peninsula. 

According to CC&T Real Estate’s listing for the Meeting Street property, the 1.1-acre parcel could hold a structure that goes up to eight stories, but the portion of the lot directly on Meeting Street may go up to only five stories. 

The site is already included in the city’s accommodations overlay, but if its room count, which would be among the highest on the peninsula, doesn’t align with the overlay’s restrictions, the city’s zoning board would have to grant an exception. 

At its meeting Thursday, the Technical Review Committee asked that the plans for the hotel be revised and resubmitted. 

The lot is across from a Holiday Inn and steps away from the 304-room dual-branded Hyatt Place and Hyatt House on Upper King Street.

How on earth will a 250 room hotel even fit there. As far as a parking garage along with the building. A low rise building would look nice there, but when I think of something with that many rooms I would have to believe that the building is going to be very tall.  Hopefully its colorful and not bland boring brick.