Downtown Developments (North of Calhoun)

Spartan

Morrison Yard Phase 3 at 860 Morrison Dr. goes before the BAR this week for conceptual approval.   A 9 floor hotel and a mixed-use building (attached to hotel I believe) which I'm not sure of the height as I couldn't load the entire BAR PDF with the drawings for the latter building.  

https://charleston-sc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_09142022-7707

Edited by ZUMAN2

On 9/12/2022 at 10:28 AM, ZUMAN2 said:

Morrison Yard Phase 3 at 860 Morrison Dr. goes before the BAR this week for conceptual approval.   A 9 floor hotel and a mixed-use building (attached to hotel I believe) which I'm not sure of the height as I couldn't load the entire BAR PDF with the drawings for the latter building.  

Okay per an Aug 2 2022 P&C article the hotel will be 150 rooms the mixed-use component will be 175 apartments.    

On 9/12/2022 at 10:28 AM, ZUMAN2 said:

The BAR gave conceptual approval yesterday to the hotel but deferred on the mixed-use/apartment building.   I was thinking that maybe these buildings would be attached but I'm not sure.  The buildings are being presentef to the BAR as separate projects.  The hotel design was well received by the BAR .

28 minutes ago, ZUMAN2 said:

The BAR gave conceptual approval yesterday to the hotel but deferred on the mixed-use/apartment building.   I was thinking that maybe these buildings would be attached but I'm not sure.  The buildings are being presentef to the BAR as separate projects.  The hotel design was well received by the BAR .

I just read a Post & Courier article that came out today about the 860 Morrison project.  There's the hotel building in addition to 3 apartment buildings behind the hotel that in total will contain between 162 - 169 apartments.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2022 at 1:36 PM, ZUMAN2 said:

I just read a Post & Courier article that came out today about the 860 Morrison project.  There's the hotel building in addition to 3 apartment buildings behind the hotel that in total will contain between 162 - 169 apartments.  

Morrison Yard Phase 3 consisting of 3 apartment buildings come back to the BAR this week (NOV 9 meeting) for conceptual approval.

Architectural rendering start on page 89:

PowerPoint Presentation (charleston-sc.gov)

On 9/15/2022 at 1:02 PM, ZUMAN2 said:

The 3 apartment buildings in Morrison Yard Phase 3 received conceptual approval at this past week's BAR meeting.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think this is necessarily new as I seem to remember hearing about this earlier this year but a 152 unit "hospitality" project is planned for 200-210 Spring St .   It's a hotel but more like an extended-stay hotel with target clients being family/friends of hospital patients in the Medical District.  At least that's what I recall hearing earlier this year.

Project will be reviewed at this week's BAR meeting.  Project starts on page 18 of BAR agenda:

PowerPoint Presentation (charleston-sc.gov)

Interesting exterior design.  Will be shocked if BAR approves but who knows.  

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 9:49 AM, vicupstate said:

The ole circa 1964 Downtowner Inn that now serves as CofC dorms is up for demolition. A 5.5 story dormitory would replace it. The plans for both are in the link.  My problem with it is they seem to be trying to replicate or pay homage to the building being demoed.  

Downtowner Inn aka College Lodge

BAR deferred waiting for review of engineer's report on condition of existing building.   There is organized opposition to demo'ing the building including the Charleston Preservation Society.

• 2 weeks later...