Downtown Developments (North of Calhoun)

Spartan

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20141208/PC05/141209510/1505/large-downtown-hotel-mixed-use-project-up-for-review-this-week

This coupled with the new construction lofts nearby, can really start to greatly expand the distance 'north of Calhoun' that new construction and dense mf/commercial development are happening.  

• 1 month later...

Great to see some movement on the Horizon project. I'm a lifelong Columbian, but love Charleston, and there is a lot of potential in the Lockwood Ext area. I used to work on that street when traveling to Chas on business, and it would be great to see all this come to fruition. Fingers crossed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Horizon project, nw called WestEdge, has two new buildings going up.  They are the second and third item in the link.  The first is the replacement for theJasper Apartment building.

http://www.charleston-sc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/05132015-1390 

Wow! Looks good. I've been waiting a long time on some news about this project!

• 1 month later...

http://www.charleston-sc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/06242015-1461

Two major apartment projects on Upper Meeting Street.  One will block views of the Crosstown raised ramps, which is a good thing, IMO.  Starts page 69 thru 103.  Revisions the WestEdge  project are also in the link further down.  

I tell you, the WestEdge  project looks great! That whole area is going to be so nice when it is built out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150707/PC05/150709567/1505/morris-sokol-furniture-to-close-after-94-years-in-charleston

Too bad no one wanted to take over the business, but it looks like a significant change is about to happen at the Sokol Furniture site.  

This could be exciting...

National Retailer looking at Upper King Street 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Upper Peninsula Zoning approved by Planning Commission

The city’s Planning Commission voted Monday to recommend an amendment to the city’s Century V land-use plan and to create a new zoning classification, known as Upper Peninsula District, or UP, zoning. Those measures, which still must be approved by City Council, would allow developers to build taller buildings and denser developments in exchange for including community amenities and environmentally sustainable features, such as: decreasing stormwater runoff, vegetated roofs, transportation improvements, renewable energy, outdoor public space, workforce housing and participation in environmental certification programs.

Wow that's huge! I was kind of expecting higher highrises out of the zoning change, but either way this will be majorly transformative over time. This is like a miniature version of Canary Wharf in London or La Défense in Paris - allowing highrise modern offices in close proximity to a historic core. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wow that's huge! I was kind of expecting higher highrises out of the zoning change, but either way this will be majorly transformative over time. This is like a miniature version of Canary Wharf in London or La Défense in Paris - allowing highrise modern offices in close proximity to a historic core. 

Good on ya' Spartan! You are familiar with both La Defense and Canary Wharf. I haven't been to Paris or London in so long..

• 2 weeks later...