Columbia/Greenville Entertainment Districts

Charles Pearson

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But seeing that they seem to be different sections of Main, all of the activity still seems to be concentrated along a corridor--unless I'm missing something in reading the descriptions.

It's concentrated on one corridor and its side streets for that first block, yes. But like I said, they share a name ONLY and that's Main Street. So because Greenville has successfully connected its entertainment districts it takes away from downtown?

I never said or implied that it took away from downtown; it just reinforces the point that Greenville's downtown is a different beast than Columbia's. Greenville's entertainment nodes are located in much closer proximity than Columbia's, since they're basically all along the same corridor (more or less)--it sounds like the West End and the North End may serve as extensions of Center City Main in a way (would that be correct?). The Vista, Main Street, and Five Points in Columbia are truly separate districts, none serving as extensions of the other. The Vista and Main Street have the most potential to be connected, as only Assembly separates them--but Assembly is also a major thoroughfare in Columbia and its wide as hell.

No better, no worse, just different. :)

The West End has never been an extension of downtown. It was a totally seperate center for commerce until recently when the connection was actually made. The revitalization of the West End could be said to be an extension of Greenville's successful original efforts.

Here's a quick map of downtown. Red is the concentration of foot traffic and entertainment in the City Center. The Pink is the West End's focus of action. The blue is the anticipated extension of these areas due to projects that are under construction or slated to begin construction by year's end.

217152304_50753082d5.jpg

Ahhhh, I see now; thanks for the visual.

Say that the area in the map bounded by Buncombe and S. Academy and the Cleveland Park area were entertainment districts. That would be similar to Columbia's layout, which is much more spread out. Greenville's advantage is that its layout facilitates a quicker connection of the distinct nodes.

The West End has never been an extension of downtown. It was a totally seperate center for commerce until recently when the connection was actually made. The revitalization of the West End could be said to be an extension of Greenville's successful original efforts.

Here's a quick map of downtown. Red is the concentration of foot traffic and entertainment in the City Center. The Pink is the West End's focus of action. The blue is the anticipated extension of these areas due to projects that are under construction or slated to begin construction by year's end.

217152304_50753082d5.jpg

You forgot Stone Avenue in the North End. You'll find activity at both The Bohemian Cafe/bar/restaurant, Horizon Records, and The Handlebar, among other businesses. McPherson Park has weekly concerts as well. Personally, I really like this long "spine" of activity that is continually spreading out. It creates a high consentration of pedestrian traffic and plenty of options within reletively easy walking distance. :shades:

I think that this map is generally accurate, however I would argue that the red line on Beattie Place from Main St to the BiLo Center is over exaggerated. Nobody really walks there (at the same level as they do on the other palces marked with red) unless there is an event at the BiLo Center.

I think that this map is generally accurate, however I would argue that the red line on Beattie Place from Main St to the BiLo Center is over exaggerated. Nobody really walks there (at the same level as they do on the other palces marked with red) unless there is an event at the BiLo Center.

I agree. I couldn't erase without erasing the map though and it was a rushed job, like i said. Although I'd say daytime foot traffic does extend to Church Street-- there is now the resturant outside tower one(?) and there used to be one and might still be one at the other Liberty Square tower. Then the Bilo Center is in the next block... so, I left it.

I dunno. I usually park in the Richardson Street Garage and walk to the Bi-Lo Center whenver I attend anything there. :lol: Of course, I'm not averse to walking, either.

...let's hope so--for new towers to fill in all that empty space and trees. You gotta have trees. Don't know anything about Greenville's nightlife...but I have to agree with you about Columbia's. Other than the 5-points area, it was like being a small, sleepy town. The last time I was in Columia a friend and I (she now works at the medical university in Charleston and lives in Charleston) walked around downtown after midnight...and we had the whole town to ourselves. That was actaully a lot of fun...clowning around and parading up and down the Statehouse States in the wee hours...I think the old rebel flag at the dome was still blowing in the slight breeze.

Greenville, IMO, has a great future...I hope it's nightlife is as lively as downtown Charleston or San Francisco...at least until 2 a.m. anyway. Even SF, sleeps after 3 a.m....and those people awake, are generally the ones it would best avoiding.

Wow, That's funny you said that since Columbia is South Carolinas biggest city!!!lol :rofl: But around that time Columbia's nightlife is nowhere what it has grown to now and it's only getting better.We have to distinct districts, clubs everywhere, and where almost the only city in the carolina's to not have last call at 2:00am on sun morning like Charlotte and a host of other cities. I promise you the next time you come back you'll be amazed how things changed :thumbsup:

Wow, That's funny you said that since Columbia is South Carolinas biggest city!!!lol :rofl: But around that time Columbia's nightlife is nowhere what it has grown to now and it's only getting better.We have to distinct districts, clubs everywhere, and where almost the only city in the carolina's to not have last call at 2:00am on sun morning like Charlotte and a host of other cities. I promise you the next time you come back you'll be amazed how things changed :thumbsup:

Exactly; you can go out all night in Columbia and barhop in 1 district on Friday night and another on Saturday night. I believe the West Vista was mentioned by someone, too.

I think that is a common misunderstanding, and it has never occured to me until now. Many Greenvillians assume this:

downtown = (CBD = main st = entertainment district)

Why? Because this is true for Greenville. Its a fantastic combination and it works well for them.

But in Columbia:

downtown = (CBD = main st) + (entertainment district 1 and 2)

Does that makes sense?

Basicly, while Main St is the CBD in Columbia, it is not the entertainment district like it is is many other cities. The Vista is more in line with Main St in Greenville. Five Points is the main college bar scene. You have to understand this distinction.

I couldn't disagree more about the DT Greenville point. I think this is a general misconception that a lot of people have ( as you said); DT Gville is just main st, or just the CBD. Gville's DT extends well beyond Main St, or the CBD. Gville's main st gets so much attention because it's transformation has been so incredible when compared to 15 years ago, or even just a few years ago. It is true that Gville's main entrtainment district happens to be Main St, and that is is in the CBD. But that is a far cry from saying that equals downtown. As someone else pointed out, even main st itself is divided into three fairly distinct areas. But DT is far more than that. DT cleary stretches from N Main Rotary Park, all the way to past Academy/Pendleton intersection. (You could say that it goeas all the way to NMain/ Rutherford intersection, since these are all DT neighborhoods.)It goes from the Pete Hollis Bridge to 276/385. It also encompasses St Francis main campus, University Ridge, to at least Augusta and Church. GMH campus is normally refered to as being DT as well, and with the developments pending in that area, it will become much more apparent. I think a lot of outsiders may not recognize all these areas as DT, but they are. They are not on main st or in the CBD however. By contrast, Cola's CBD is much larger, and easier to see the link with the rest of DT.

Also, Heritage Green is another small district that is not connected at all with the main st stuff. And with the future openings of three more museums in that area, it will become more of a destination, which will in turn, promote the development of sandwich shops, icecream shops, coffee, shops, etc. And don't forget this adjoins the Pete Hollis corridor that is being planned as we speak.

I think GMH being referred to as "downtown" is a bit of a stretch. Thats like saying SRMC is in downtown Spartanburg.

I am not familiar with SRMC, but I agree that GMH would be a little bit of a stretch. But not by much. Many times I have heard people refer to the main campus as "being located downtown". ANd the gap b/w GMH and Augusta is narrowing.

I couldn't disagree more about the DT Greenville point. I think this is a general misconception that a lot of people have ( as you said); DT Gville is just main st, or just the CBD. Gville's DT extends well beyond Main St, or the CBD. Gville's main st gets so much attention because it's transformation has been so incredible when compared to 15 years ago, or even just a few years ago. It is true that Gville's main entrtainment district happens to be Main St, and that is is in the CBD. But that is a far cry from saying that equals downtown. As someone else pointed out, even main st itself is divided into three fairly distinct areas. But DT is far more than that. DT cleary stretches from N Main Rotary Park, all the way to past Academy/Pendleton intersection. (You could say that it goeas all the way to NMain/ Rutherford intersection, since these are all DT neighborhoods.)It goes from the Pete Hollis Bridge to 276/385. It also encompasses St Francis main campus, University Ridge, to at least Augusta and Church. GMH campus is normally refered to as being DT as well, and with the developments pending in that area, it will become much more apparent. I think a lot of outsiders may not recognize all these areas as DT, but they are. They are not on main st or in the CBD however. By contrast, Cola's CBD is much larger, and easier to see the link with the rest of DT.

Also, Heritage Green is another small district that is not connected at all with the main st stuff. And with the future openings of three more museums in that area, it will become more of a destination, which will in turn, promote the development of sandwich shops, icecream shops, coffee, shops, etc. And don't forget this adjoins the Pete Hollis corridor that is being planned as we speak.

You have to admit that's a bit of a stretch, since you listed almost half the square miles of Greenville proper.

You and every other regular on here knows that Greenville's proper as you say is very inaccurate and is more political than anything. Coming in on 385 to Greenville the city limit sign is only a few short miles from downtown. Most off Woodruff Rd isn't even in the city and its the biggest shopping area here.

You and every other regular on here knows that Greenville's proper as you say is very inaccurate and is more political than anything. Coming in on 385 to Greenville the city limit sign is only a few short miles from downtown. Most off Woodruff Rd isn't even in the city and its the biggest shopping area here.

Still, most of those ares listed earlier are not in downtown Greenville. That would be like adding Shandon and North Main to downtown Columbia.

Archived