How do you envision the S/BC area in 10-20 years?

bigboyz05

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With proper leadership Shreveport could, and should, be up to 300- 350,000 in 20 years.

Look at what we have to offer major industries.

Currently we have 2 interstates, one is finished and the other will be done in the next couple of years.

A third one is going to be done in the next decade to decade and a half.

We have a navigable river that reaches down to Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

Our plus is that we are not at the mercy of hurricanes, BR and NO are in jeopardy 6 months of the year.

Our port on the river is growing and has much to offer major industries.

Couple it with the eventuality of I-69, I-49 and I-20 and 2 major railroad spurs and a decent airport and you will have the capability to reach 50 million people in an 8 hour truck drive.

We have a young workforce that is eager and ready to be trained in many fields.

The film industry has booked Shreveport for 40 films in the next 2 years, big and small.

The development of Bert Kouns between I-20 and I-49 could be the home for many film studios and other industries.

I see Shreveport's boundaries hitting south to the parish line and as far west as the state line.

Yes, that would involve the absorption of Greenwood.

And the pipedream of mine would be that in 20-25 years ....

Shreveport and Bossier City would vote to merge into the Shreveport/Bossier City metroplex.

These are just my ideas and hopes, but hey they could happen.

Mudbugger

The city and metro are two different issues altogether.

Core cities like Shreveport are struggling most places. Shreveport's population in 2005 is almost exactly the same as in 1990. Little Rock plateaued between 2000 and 2005 as well.

Both cities are a good deal better off than Jackson (MS) and Birmingham which are hemorrhaging population to their suburbs, losing 20k and 35k people since 1990 respectively.

I don't see Shreveport or LR turning around this trend enough to grow by those kinds of leaps and bounds to become cities of 300k-350k. However, both are doing a lot of things that might help us buck that trend. I think in both areas the current trend of rapid suburban growth is going to continue.

The city and metro are two different issues altogether.

Core cities like Shreveport are struggling most places. Shreveport's population in 2005 is almost exactly the same as in 1990. Little Rock plateaued between 2000 and 2005 as well.

Both cities are a good deal better off than Jackson (MS) and Birmingham which are hemorrhaging population to their suburbs, losing 20k and 35k people since 1990 respectively.

I don't see Shreveport or LR turning around this trend enough to grow by those kinds of leaps and bounds to become cities of 300k-350k. However, both are doing a lot of things that might help us buck that trend. I think in both areas the current trend of rapid suburban growth is going to continue.

Unfortunately. This is why Bossier City, Benton, Haughton, Greenwood, and north DeSoto Parish are growing so rapidly right now. Far too many people are fleeing the city for the burbs. Haughton is still mostly sleepy, but Bossier City, Greenwood, Benton, and north DeSoto are abuzz with activity. Even Haughton is expected to become more active in the near future, if the planned sewer district goes through. While this suburban growth is great for the small towns in some ways, Benton recently had to build two fire stations to handle the growth. That's a huge strain on such a small town. And it's a huge problem for Shreveport to lose such population to these areas, because the city loses a lot of federal funding this way.

Unfortunately. This is why Bossier City, Benton, Haughton, Greenwood, and north DeSoto Parish are growing so rapidly right now. Far too many people are fleeing the city for the burbs. Haughton is still mostly sleepy, but Bossier City, Greenwood, Benton, and north DeSoto are abuzz with activity. Even Haughton is expected to become more active in the near future, if the planned sewer district goes through. While this suburban growth is great for the small towns in some ways, Benton recently had to build two fire stations to handle the growth. That's a huge strain on such a small town. And it's a huge problem for Shreveport to lose such population to these areas, because the city loses a lot of federal funding this way.

I just saw your post below about the latest estimates showing Shreveport lost growth. I had seen a 2005 estimate at census.gov that showed it stable at 198,500ish. If that estimate you posted is true, Shreveport might be succumbing a bit to core shrinkage. The interesting part is that Bossier is kind of a "core city" as well to an extent and it's doing well.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw your post below about the latest estimates showing Shreveport lost growth. I had seen a 2005 estimate at census.gov that showed it stable at 198,500ish. If that estimate you posted is true, Shreveport might be succumbing a bit to core shrinkage. The interesting part is that Bossier is kind of a "core city" as well to an extent and it's doing well.

The new trend in cities today is urban living with the building of high rise condos. What kind of development is going on in Shreveport like that now. I think the city needs a new skyscraper in the CBD.

What developments are new subdivisins are on Cypress lake and Cross Lake and what is the median home prices in that area

The new trend in cities today is urban living with the building of high rise condos. What kind of development is going on in Shreveport like that now. I think the city needs a new skyscraper in the CBD.

What developments are new subdivisins are on Cypress lake and Cross Lake and what is the median home prices in that area

I believe we've discussed these same issues before. No need in repeating it all when you can search the forum.

Archived