Creative Village

sunshine

29 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Just heard on the news this afternoon that the project has had some kind of delay or setback.

It was in the Sentinel today that the project will be delayed by a year.  Opening scheduled for August 2019 now instead of 2018.  The design/construction team could not meet their aggressive timeline to open for the fall semester, so instead of opening halfway through the year, they pushed it back a whole year until the next fall. 

Sucks, but expected.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/education/os-ucf-downtown-campus-delayed-20160825-story.html

The new Parramore K-8 school is going vertical. Looking at some news sources, this school is supposed to open for Fall 2017? Can they really complete it in 11 months? It's a tilt up building so it may be possible. Thought this one would get pushed back to 2018 like the Audubon Park school did.20160901_160416.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, they will complete it in 11 months.  These new schools are all tilt-up prototypes. Same cookie cutter design they use throughout the county, and efficiencies have been developed over time the more they build them.  They will rush to get it substantially complete in August so teachers and faculty can move in and then wrap up with sitework and warranty work on site.

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2016 at 8:28 PM, dcluley98 said:

Yes, they will complete it in 11 months.  These new schools are all tilt-up prototypes. Same cookie cutter design they use throughout the county, and efficiencies have been developed over time the more they build them.  They will rush to get it substantially complete in August so teachers and faculty can move in and then wrap up with sitework and warranty work on site.

agree, Westridge Middle at Oakridge Rd took just about a year and a month(?) to complete

A great arial photo in a blog post from the City this week showing the new alignment of Livingston. I would think that while they're doing this work, they'd take the opportunity lay out the rest of the new streets planned for Creative Village, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/mayor/2016/09/laying-the-groundwork-for-ucf-downtown/

Creative-Village-wide.jpg

I had the same thought about the tracks. Some type of every 10-15 minute light rail type thing, I don't know. I don't know much about what type of tracks are required for what types of cars, etc.

But having a right of way all the way from CV to the main SunRail line (which is pretty short I know) seems like a golden opportunity. Wasn't there some rail project aimed at this line already? Orange Blossom Express?

We need that. OBX + SunRail + Some kind of east-west transit from UCF/Waterford and out to Wintergarden and this city would be pretty well connected. 

I made this map a few years ago, but it shows that OBX would have been a great connection and would have gone right through Creative Village.

With an OBX extension, you could connect Creative Village - Lynx Central - Airport. Then add an east-west line (Winter Garden - Lynx Central - Fashion Square - UCF) and we'd have a pretty comprehensive system. One day... 

Orlando-Central-Florida-Transit-Rail-Maglev.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, alex said:

New PD amendment for Creative Village submitted: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2016/11/MPBProjectOverview2016-12_ZON2016-00028.pdf

Gives some more details on new campus layout, uses, and parks. I copied a few maps below, but there are more in the PDF.

Looking good, but aren't they getting rid of the curve on Amelia and straightening it out? What I've been seeing on google maps and in person seems to confirm this. Maps might need an update.

I'm not bothered by the Amelia curve. It still connects Amelia Street on either side of Creative Village. It'll bring some much-needed variation to the park and retail area, while maintaining the grid.

On another note, I was happy to see Terry Avenue set up as a potential north-south connection across the railroad tracks. 

• 1 month later...

Update on OBJ this week about CV: 

Sneak peek at retail plans for Creative Village

General figures:

• 1,200 student housing units/rooms
  • 120,000 sq ft office
  • 290-room hotel
  • UCF Downtown campus (opening in 2019)

Mores specific figures for projects that could start construction in 2017:

• 250-unit market-rate apartments
    • Ground-floor food hall
    • $62.5 million
  • 1,200-bed student housing complex
    • 12,000 sq ft ground-floor retail/restaurant "targeting fast-casual restaurants for the complex, such as coffee shops, Mexican food and hamburger joints, as well as a convenience store and a branch bank."

Looks good, just hope it won't be moving at a snail's pace like the Livingston St. realignment has.

1 hour ago, alex said:

Also, just for comparison: 420 East Church Street was $42.7 million at 299 units and Citi Tower is $42 million at 233 units.

It'll be interesting to see what $62.5 million at 250 units looks like--potential high-rise? 

I'd say about 10-15 stories, depends on how large of a footprint they plan.

[ 12,000 sq ft ground-floor retail/restaurant "targeting fast-casual restaurants for the complex, such as coffee shops, Mexican food and hamburger joints, as well as a convenience store and a branch bank." ]

Translation: "we want to get a Starbucks, Chipotle, BurgerFi/Five Guys, 7-11, and a Fairwinds branch."

• Like 1

Yeah, "Mexican fast-casual" leaves little to the imagination. Although, the Church Street Graffiti used to be a Panchero's, so maybe they'll be back. Let's hope they at least push for an indie coffee shop. I'd love to see a student bookstore/coffee shop that's set up a little more like a traditional bookstore that also appeals to non-students 

Another interesting tidbit: ASU's downtown dorm building is........1,200 beds and 10,000 sq ft of retail. According to the developer, the Phase I of the ASU dorm building was delivered in 20 months, which matches UCF's timeline. These towers are each 13 stories. 

ASUTaylorPlace-1-th.jpg

Dorm towers with retail + a "Citi Tower" with food hall + new UCF/Valencia building = active little Student Quarter by 2019. Not to mention the existing UCF Center for Emerging Media, the Armory, the Bob Carr, and the u/c Parramore K-8 School. 

(Also, let the record show that I'm advocating "Student Quarter" or "University Quater" as the new name for Creative Village.) 

• Like 3

I'm too hoping for local independent shops, though we'll probably get more chains. The bookstore you're talking about sounds kind of like like a Barnes and Nobles format. As for the dorm building, I'm hoping taller/smaller footprint as opposed to shorter/larger footprint.

I agree with your renaming. With UCF, Valencia, the K-8 Parramore school, and the surrounding Orange Tech, OCPS building, and FAMU, this area is more education-dominated than anything else. Even UF has a stake in the current UCF building but I hear they'll be moving to another location in downtown.

• Like 1

Agree that Creative Village, a fine name to lure developers but not residents, should be changed but can't say I agree with the educational theme.  The K-8 is not really in the CV and UCF-Valencia is only about 20% of the overall project.  They are building a number of general use apartments and trying to lure some tech companies.  I kinda like Westside Village or Westside Commons.  The school theme might not be so attractive to the tech people who what a live/work neighborhood.