Creative Village

sunshine

On 12/9/2016 at 10:46 PM, prahaboheme said:

How about Callahan?

I didn't know much about Dr. Callahan, but found this concise bio on a city website. I like that it ties into both the African American heritage and an educational component.

• Dr. Jerry B. Callahan was born on a family owned plantation in Abbeyville County, South Carolina on December 9, 1883. Dr. Callahan moved to Orlando from Daytona Beach in 1908 after earning a medical degree from Shaw University.  Dr. Callahan was the first black doctor to open a medical practice in Orlando; he was also the first African American doctor to practice surgery at Orange General Hospital which is today known as Orlando Regional Healthcare. Dr. Callahan’s home and physicians’ office were on the corner of Parramore and Church Street where he practiced medicine until his death in 1947.  Dr. Callahan was a member of the Orange County Medical Society and an active member of his Baptist Church.

• The Dr. J.B. Callahan Neighborhood Center is a community center in Parramore. In 1895, the first school for African Americans was built in the area and later became known as the Johnson Academy. Because of increased enrollment, the building was moved to the corner of Parramore Avenue and Washington Street and was renamed Jones High School. This once school was renovated and dedicated as the Dr. J.B. Callahan Neighborhood Center in 1987.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just prefer a tight street grid that feels like "downtown".  Long blocks or long, curvy blocks takes away from the downtown feel in my opinion.  Also, it will look like it curves because the old arena was there, probably.  It was also included in their original proposal and they got several grants based on that proposal so that's somewhat upsetting.

9 minutes ago, gibby said:

I just prefer a tight street grid that feels like "downtown".  Long blocks or long, curvy blocks takes away from the downtown feel in my opinion.  Also, it will look like it curves because the old arena was there, probably.  It was also included in their original proposal and they got several grants based on that proposal so that's somewhat upsetting.

Didn't it curve because the old arena was there?  I personally like it because it throws back to the old Arena days.   Its not unprecedented downtown.  They put the curve on South St when DPAC was built.

On 1/18/2017 at 4:08 PM, smileguy said:

At the top of this photo taken from the courthouse, you can see the progress on the Parramore K8 as well as the new alignment of Livingston. 

16121571_10106066242797652_1390732522_o.jpg

Can we put two high rises here for these two green fields? I am not asking for much, just two 1400 ft twins towers. You know...just to load up the density for Sunrail

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sunshine said:

Can we put two high rises here for these two green fields? I am not asking for much, just two 1400 ft twins towers. You know...just to load up the density for Sunrail

Agreed. Twin towers @ ±1.5x the height of the former WTC is not asking too much for Orlando at all!!!! :blink:

In spite of the fact that we couldn't even get one 400' tower there ten or twelve years ago.... <_<

:D

5 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Agreed. Twin towers @ ±1.5x the height of the former WTC is not asking too much for Orlando at all!!!! :blink:

In spite of the fact that we couldn't even get one 400' tower there ten or twelve years ago.... <_<

:D

Agreed. its time we break the 100 floor barrier, I think Orlando is ready for it :blink::D

Tremont tower would look real nice on the smaller western parcel. . . oh, wait.

Seriously though, this lot ain't that bad compared to other dilapidated parcels downtown.  They keep it nice and mowed and free of trash.  There are a couple that are just crazy eyesores with no landscaping and debris and busted fences around them, etc. like the one catty-corner to this and the big triangle monstrosity on the Rosalind curve.

• Like 1

The flight paths for Orlando Executive just graze Downtown. It can be changed so the FAA can relax their ruling on buildings taller than SunTrust Center. It's kind of bogus for them to have such a ruling as Orlando Executive doesn't handle large commercial jets nor has the amount of traffic it used to. However, there hasn't been a real demand for really tall buildings either, so the push isn't there.

Or we can eliminate Orlando Executive, redevelop the land, include some large public areas within the land such as park spaces and resources that benefit the region as a whole, and reinvest the proceeds into a High speed maglev or monorail connection to the international airport from downtown.  Solve all problems at once! 

• Like 2

Other cities at UP (specifically, Nashville, which has all kind of downtown construction going on) are also bemoaning short towers. I think the primary reason to go tall in cities that have plenty of land (and Orlando has lots) is for a trophy accomplishment by a locally-based company (that's how we got Sun Bank Centre - panic ensued before it broke ground when Sun merged with Trust Company of Georgia as to whether it would be completed.) Today's Bank of America building also began as a trophy building for Orlando-based The First, FA, which met an inglorious end not long after (not only for S&L The First but also tower developer and former Magic owner Bill duPont.)

Sun Bank got a height variance from the Reagan administration in the '80's and I suspect anyone serious about going tall could do the same. I don't think there's a lot of reason to buck the system at the moment.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Other cities at UP (specifically, Nashville, which has all kind of downtown construction going on) are also bemoaning short towers. I think the primary reason to go tall in cities that have plenty of land (and Orlando has lots) is for a trophy accomplishment by a locally-based company (that's how we got Sun Bank Centre - panic ensued before it broke ground when Sun merged with Trust Company of Georgia as to whether it would be completed.) Today's Bank of America building also began as a trophy building for Orlando-based The First, FA, which met an inglorious end not long after (not only for S&L The First but also tower developer and former Magic owner Bill duPont.)

Sun Bank got a height variance from the Reagan administration in the '80's and I suspect anyone serious about going tall could do the same. I don't think there's a lot of reason to buck the system at the moment.

Yeah, we need a stupid developer or stupid large business owner to achieve a trophy tower. Maybe Darden could have done it but that is about it. 

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Not sure how much you can c/p here but this is the key part.

Dubbed "Amelia Court at Creative Village," the five-story building would cover 2.98 acres at the northeast corner of Amelia Street and Parramore Avenue, double the land and more than double the unit count originally estimated for the project. 

Two neighboring but separate apartment buildings would have units on the second through fifth stories, while the ground level would serve resident parking, with about 9,000 square feet of commercial space fronting the roads. 

Whether that space is leased for retail, office or another use has yet to be determined, Culp said, but he anticipates it being "complimentary to what UCF is doing on its campus."

• Like 1