Creative Village

sunshine

They talked up this place like it is a giant game changer of an edgy town for downtown Orlando but the designs so far are kind of cookie cutter...

We just need to look at Miami Design District to see how "place making" is done to actuallt create a district..

http://www.thenextmiami.com/miami-design-districts-unique-architecture-construction-photos/

If anything, I hope at least the UCF buildings planned for Creative Village are going to be interesting designs, not sure what they would look like at this point aside from some conceptual renderings I saw, also the original building can use a facelift.

Last time I was in Miami was a year ago, and I did check out the Design District, wonderful place with unique buildings and many high-end stores but  not a whole lot of pedestrian activity going on there, with some exceptions such as the areas immediately around the design/architecture high school there and the apartment buildings to the south. The Design District is separated by an elevated highway and some unwelcoming, wide roads, a context that's kind of similar to what we have in Orlando with Creative Village. One the comments in the Miami Design District articles mentions it being a "ghost town" so it seems that things haven't changed that much in that regard. That's actually my biggest worry for Creative Village, if it's going to attract people or not.

That being said, while I do not like the generic apartments being planned for Creative Village, I can deal with it as long as they create a good streetscape, generate pedestrian activity, and that the UCF buildings really stand out architecturally.

Edited by metal93
Addition

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sunshine said:

Are they building an office building for the Arrow Sky Media?

Yes, I think so. That's what I gathered from the news report, though they didn't come right out and state it.

But given that the UCF building will be dedicated to UCF business, I would think it's safe to assume ASM will be in another new building.

3 hours ago, jack said:

It depends on the footprint. Could be one story, could be three. 

True, but given the locale, it's likely the average building footprint wouldn't/couldn't be large enough to house 300 employees and all their associated activities in one story. Three? Maybe, but there needs to be parking too and I doubt they're going to utilize surface parking in that area. Unless they're planning on some kind of large, communal garage(s) to handle the parking or the entire village.

Too early to speculate anyway.

Arrow Sky Media Relocates Headquarters To Orlando, Florida

From link:

"Arrow Sky Media plans to take up 45,000 to 60,000 square feet in the first office building developed within Creative Village by 2021."

The Daily City is found new signage proposal for the (now) Marriott across from Bob Carr in the ARB agenda. I was worried about this property since the trouble with the previous owner. The write-up also links to information on a rooftop bar and a new parking structure associated with the hotel. Nice to see this opening back up soon, and I hope it feels like a fresh, new hotel!

http://www.thedailycity.com/2017/03/downtown-marriott-to-get-new-signage.html?m=1

• Like 2