Creative Village

sunshine

Agreed with Andy the only time I seem to have problems with the bike lane is on Livingston which is actually my favorite bike lane.  Drivers have a tendency to put two wheels on the bike lane and drive like that.  I can usually catch up to them on Summerlin and give them a nice talking to while we wait for that light.

3 hours ago, codypet said:

Agreed with Andy the only time I seem to have problems with the bike lane is on Livingston which is actually my favorite bike lane.  Drivers have a tendency to put two wheels on the bike lane and drive like that.  I can usually catch up to them on Summerlin and give them a nice talking to while we wait for that light.

This this this.  I've never actually had someone do it while I've been biking, but I get so angry when driving down the road and seeing someone doing it.  Instead of crosswalk enforcement or other silly initiatives, I'd love to just have an officer there giving tickets out for that one day a year.

Practically speaking, what's the big deal with someone driving with a wheel in the bike lane if they aren't doing it approaching a cyclist or impeding one?   I used to ride Livingston daily and the only issue I had in practice was trash cans and the very rare parked delivery truck 

The trash/recycling bins in the bike lane are the worst.  Don't have much of an issue with people two-wheelin in the the lane as long as they don't do it when somebody is actually using the bike lane. Quite frankly, the way it is designed almost makes it look like a wide gutter instead of the bike lane.  They should at least try to paint the symbols on there if not make it green like on other bike lanes. 

Robinson is by far a better and safer ride if you aren't too timid to ride in the road.   It's 4-lanes so if you ride where you are supposed to cars will easily go around you.  If you hug the curb they'll try to squeeze by and mayhem will ensue.

...and you can do that all the way down to Creative Village (back on topic ;) )

14 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Robinson is by far a better and safer ride if you aren't too timid to ride in the road.   It's 4-lanes so if you ride where you are supposed to cars will easily go around you.  If you hug the curb they'll try to squeeze by and mayhem will ensue.

...and you can do that all the way down to Creative Village (back on topic ;) )

Nope Nope a million times nope.  I ride on Bumby between 408 and Livingston regularly on the right lane because the sidewalk is too narrow and the amount of times people try to squeeze between myself and the car in the left lane is insane.  A lady today with a handicapped license plate in a grey Durango almost ran me over today honking and going probably 10 mph faster than everyone else in the lane.  I would never dare ride on Robinson.  Livingston or Washington are much preferred for me.

• Like 1

Weird thing about the Creative Village bike lane on Livingston is that they put it IN BETWEEN the Bus lane and the regular traffic lanes.  Seems like it could be much better designed.  It would be pretty uncomfortable sandwiched between a bus and a large truck going down that stretch.  A separated lane to the right of the transit lanes and bus stops would have been much preferred. 

2 hours ago, codypet said:

Nope Nope a million times nope.  I ride on Bumby between 408 and Livingston regularly on the right lane because the sidewalk is too narrow and the amount of times people try to squeeze between myself and the car in the left lane is insane.  A lady today with a handicapped license plate in a grey Durango almost ran me over today honking and going probably 10 mph faster than everyone else in the lane.  I would never dare ride on Robinson.  Livingston or Washington are much preferred for me.

I think legally you are entitled to an entire car lane when there's no bike lane. Did you position yourself in the dead center of the lane and people still try to squeeze through?

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

Weird thing about the Creative Village bike lane on Livingston is that they put it IN BETWEEN the Bus lane and the regular traffic lanes.  Seems like it could be much better designed.  It would be pretty uncomfortable sandwiched between a bus and a large truck going down that stretch.  A separated lane to the right of the transit lanes and bus stops would have been much preferred. 

A good design I've seen is sidewalk, bike lane, planting strip, street parking (some spots can be replaces by bus stops where needed), bus lane, then finally general traffic lane. I think the city should take a harder look at how bicycle infrastructure is done in Europe.

Yep.  Its Bumby which I think already only has 10.5' lanes.  That's why it shook me so much.  She really put my life, and her car and the person to her left at risk with that maneuver.  She had the left wheels about a foot into the left lane with a car to her left that had to jump into the suicide lane to avoid hitting her.

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Then you'd either have people standing in the lane waiting for a bus, or the bus will block the bike lane when it stops.  I think its position is fine, but it should be protected, which would also discourage drivers from using the bus lane like I see many doing on Magnolia and I-Drive.

It's not for everyone's nerves but if you can ride far enough in the lane (basically where your right wheel of the car is) to make the decision for the car behind you that they will need to pass in the next lane.  Hugging the curb will get you squished.    Never have had a problem on Robinson except for a few honks which means they saw me.

Saw someone on Facebook complaining about the lack of parking for the students.  Was ready to tell them to move to the 'burbs then realized that this article states 7,700 students are moving into this dorm with 600 parking spaces!

http://bungalower.com/2017/05/09/plans-released-creative-village-student-housing/

52 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Saw someone on Facebook complaining about the lack of parking for the students.  Was ready to tell them to move to the 'burbs then realized that this article states 7,700 students are moving into this dorm with 600 parking spaces!

http://bungalower.com/2017/05/09/plans-released-creative-village-student-housing/

Surprisingly enough, most students don't bring a car to college these days, and some schools don't even allow underclassmen to bring a car to campus.  Also, keep in mind that while 7700 students will be attending, they don't expect all students to stay in on-campus housing.  UCF especially has most of its students staying off-campus.

An interesting thought is whether outside private developers will start popping up downtown to provide off-campus housing for students.  UCF is practically surrounded by housing privately-owned off-campus housing complexes.

UCF posted a video on Facebook with a couple more renderings. These show how the new UCF building will interact with the planned student housing/classroom building. The last one's interesting because it shows the main park, and what could be a separate multi-use path behind the academic building. If it's actually what they're planning, it could ease some of the bike lane disappointments. 

I combined the last rendering with the latest plan, which also shows the historic armory (downtown rec center).  

UCFdowntown1.thumb.jpg.5add573e5b70a073ad5dc3794d473f83.jpg

UCFdowntown2.thumb.jpg.eec614b36ac7ab82873bb6f4fb3a878d.jpg

UCFdowntown3.thumb.jpg.60af1835f8732f0bb68858aa9cf86611.jpg

UCFdowntown4.thumb.jpg.a9025c125b0c9335cd5a82ffc6b8d1b6.jpg

UCFdowntown5.thumb.jpg.118ea8311a8581eb0ebb829c08200776.jpg

UCFdowntown6.thumb.jpg.9cd13e3eda17cf86d0346d80bdfe9aaf.jpg

UCFdowntown7.thumb.jpg.9c33aa00dc5660b9bd26457f988e868f.jpg

UCFdowntown8.thumb.jpg.5e091a9cc9dad082aed847eea21e3f6a.jpg

UCFdowntownMap.thumb.jpg.a6da878680a5b5135038382274b85d93.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Jernigan said:

I think you should tell those folks in the nicest possible way, all 7,700 will not be on campus at one time. Or call them idiots. Your call. 

1 hour ago, jack said:

I think you should tell those folks in the nicest possible way, all 7,700 will not be on campus at one time. Or call them idiots. Your call. 

I am sure UCF will also run shuttles to its main campus, like they do for Rosen College, making it possible for students to live at Creative Village or the Main Campus and get to the other campus for classes without driving/parking. I think Rosen has about 3,000 students and 400 beds so we should expect this to be about 2 and a half times the size.

6 minutes ago, smileguy said:

I am sure UCF will also run shuttles to its main campus, like they do for Rosen College, making it possible for students to live at Creative Village or the Main Campus and get to the other campus for classes without driving/parking. I think Rosen has about 3,000 students and 400 beds so we should expect this to be about 2 and a half times the size.

600-bed is what I've seen published.