sunshine

Creative Village [Proposed]

alex    426
9 hours ago, UngaBungalow said:

It's been fun to watch it pop up so fast. I'm interested to see what they do to make the streetscape more people friendly. I'm hoping local arts groups can work with them to do some "arting" of the walls and sidewalks. 

I've noticed that the big new schools (Parramore, Kaley, and Audubon) all lack a strong main entrance. They all look a little like little prisons--are you supposed to enter or be able to leave? I know it's probably for security reasons, but they could have taken some inspiration from Howard Middle. 

I wouldn't mind a big mural or two. 

• Like 1

dcluley98    531
2 hours ago, alex said:

I've noticed that the big new schools (Parramore, Kaley, and Audubon) all lack a strong main entrance. They all look a little like little prisons--are you supposed to enter or be able to leave? I know it's probably for security reasons, but they could have taken some inspiration from Howard Middle. 

I wouldn't mind a big mural or two. 

CPTED

alex    426
2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

CPTED

True. I'm sure it'll look great with landscaping, and the inside will look nice--it's one of the better examples of recent schools. But compared to the openness of, say, the new UCF/Valencia building, it feels very turned inward. I guess post-war schools are generally pretty industrial looking. 

I see CPTED as a more effective measure against muggings or break-ins (good lighting, eyes on the street, safety phones, etc.). I don't know if it's enough to stop the more severe instances of crime. 

JFW657    1080

A few pages back (p.17) there was some speculation as to what would be done with the old rec/tennis center/Davis Armory building. Just heard on the news that they're planning on tearing it down and building a new rec/tennis center elsewhere in Parramore.

Shame.

spenser1058    834
16 minutes ago, codypet said:

I thought the armory was staying and only the shed to the north was coming down?

That was the last I heard, also. JFW if you get more on that please post it because we'll need to push back on that. We have so little from the Deco era we can't afford to lose it (and just when we thought Bulldozer Buddy had learned his lesson *sigh*).

JFW657    1080

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

That was the last I heard, also. JFW if you get more on that please post it because we'll need to push back on that. We have so little from the Deco era we can't afford to lose it (and just when we thought Bulldozer Buddy had learned his lesson *sigh*).

Screenshot_20170619-162907_01.png

Video Link

• Like 1

spenser1058    834

This appears to be a case of poor journalism on Channel 9's part (I know, shocking, right?)

The Tennis Center at the Davis Armory may indeed have to relocate, but the structure itself was given Landmark status in November, 2016.

While it's not impossible to dial that back, it would be politically unpalatable for Bulldozer Buddy. Particularly in light of the Tinker Field debacle, I think any such move could be fought.

For the moment, there didn't seem to be any actual teeth in the story or even a response from the City, but rather more of a trial balloon. If I had to guess, I'd say one of the myriad candidates in the upcoming City Council race is trying to make waves. Stay tuned, though, I put out some feelers.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

JFW657    1080

I hope you're right.

Maybe they're just planning to move the tennis courts to some new rec center location and repurpose the armory building.

That would be ok.

Channel 9 has been reporting that story three or four times a day since Friday.

• Like 1

tennis32801    67

Having played there hundreds of time, make no sense, financially and logistically,to relocate it. And if it is relocated,hopefully its somewhere near business district. Playing with skyline in the background provides a big city feeling.

• Like 2

alex    426
On 5/16/2017 at 10:11 AM, alex said:

UCFdowntown8.thumb.jpg.5e091a9cc9dad082aed847eea21e3f6a.jpg

In the latest renderings you can see the armory on the left side. The tennis center, however, is giving way to the student housing building. 

While I hate to lose the tennis courts, making the armory the focal point of a park (hopefully with some nice landscaping) will give it the respect it deserves. 

• Like 1

UngaBungalow    111

The tennis courts are leaving, along with the pottery studio, as they were later additions. The landmark status was granted to the main Armory building, which will remain. From what I understand. 

• Like 1

codypet    128

If they do, are they letting people in the neighborhood use the court at the school?  I know that's the case at Lake Como.  The loss of the park coincides with the public's ability to use the track and playground in its place.

• Like 1

JFW657    1080

Reported on the news this evening... tomorrow the city will sell the parcel of land at the corner of Amelia and Terry for $5.4 million to a developer who has plans for a 12 story, 390 unit apartment building.

No renderings yet.

• Like 2

prahaboheme    672

I assume (assume the operative word) that we can get taller as we get west of the airport. I'll have to dig deeper. Would be great to see a new tallest in Parramore.

• Like 3