Creative Village

sunshine

33 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Don't get me wrong - Buddy has accomplished some amazing things in his tenure (starting with the venues.) And you're correct that he did what Mayor Bill specifically failed at in connecting the Am back to downtown. For all those things and, despite his WASPy bubba background (Ivy League and FL Law and yet a good ol' boy from Kissimmee!) fully embracing diversity, he'll long be remembered as one of our top two or three mayors.

At the same time, when it comes to the nitty-gritty of neighborhoods, it's never seemed to be his thing. It's kind of surprising given what seems to be his real affinity for College Park. Every politician can't be good at everything (Glenda often was accused of being so into preserving neighborhoods that downtown seemed to stall at the time.) 

But if Creative Village is to be more than the sum of its parts and thrive, someone's going to need to get down in the weeds to build a community and not just a bunch of buildings. If Buddy chooses to stay (he's already Orlando's longest-serving mayor), that work will need to be done by a city commissioner who relishes the role or, maybe someone at UCF might do it. Here's hoping.

I think you're right about most federal courthouses in the larger cities. I'm probably guilty of remembering a very different time when Orlando's was on Robinson St. along with the post office and it was the type of place someone like Matlock would have fit right in.

The Dyers, Bronson’s, Smith’s, Kelly’s, Masons, etc of Kissimmee have tended to be (with some exceptions) a surprisingly (to some) progressive force in Osceola. It shouldn’t surprise anyone that Buddy has been quite vocal about the southern expansion of SunRail into Osceola.

Osceola owes much of the last 20 years to the influence these families have brought to the resurgence of Kissimmee - the fruits of this labor just now taking root.

I agree with all your points on Parramore.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

• sunshine changed the title to Creative Village

From OBJ

Creative Village: A12,000-square-foot contract brewing facility dubbed “Brew Theory” will be located in the new Creative Village area in downtown Orlando at 400 Pittman St. Brew Theory will house a large brewing facility for a variety of breweries, a full-service lab, home brew shop and a taproom with a podcast room, office spaces and a sandwich shop. While Brew Theory’s main focus will be to brew for other breweries, Orange County Brewers will serve a few of its own in-house brands. The grand opening is slated for September. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sunshine said:

From OBJ

Creative Village: A12,000-square-foot contract brewing facility dubbed “Brew Theory” will be located in the new Creative Village area in downtown Orlando at 400 Pittman St. Brew Theory will house a large brewing facility for a variety of breweries, a full-service lab, home brew shop and a taproom with a podcast room, office spaces and a sandwich shop. While Brew Theory’s main focus will be to brew for other breweries, Orange County Brewers will serve a few of its own in-house brands. The grand opening is slated for September. 

that's almost adjacent to the Marriott...

I'm no construction expert, but I would wager that the swiftness of Suntrust Plaza construction is because the first floors are largely parking whereas the UCF dorm / Valencia classroom building begins at ground floor and the parking garage will be tucked around the back:

CVO_Student-Housing-Renderings_Page_3.jpg.2a6cb9052d2182057bfdd5c288ef5c4a.jpg.2bb30fd1d5db54c63a21f32cdaddf14a.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I'm no construction expert, but I would wager that the swiftness of Suntrust Plaza construction is because the first floors are largely parking whereas the UCF dorm / Valencia classroom building begins at ground floor and the parking garage will be tucked around the back:

CVO_Student-Housing-Renderings_Page_3.jpg.2a6cb9052d2182057bfdd5c288ef5c4a.jpg.2bb30fd1d5db54c63a21f32cdaddf14a.jpg

So check this out.  This building hasn't begun building it's garage yet, and I think it's up to it's 2nd residential floor.  The Sevens by comparison topped out and then started construction on it's garage, which was tucked in behind it much like this one is here.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I always thought that parking deck levels actually take LONGER to build than regular residential/office floors due in part to the sloping ramps that have to go in between or adjacent to the parking floors.

Could very well be - any of our construction savvy members who can shed some light?

Another observation:  Suntrust Plaza has two tower cranes working on a building with a much smaller footprint.  The Ustler dorm has one for a relatively large mid-rise.  I'd be interested in understanding more about how these decisions get made.

^^

While you're pondering that question, feast your eyes on this shot.  It gives some perspective to the visual impact it will give when looking NW towards that direction from the CBD core.  I was wrong; this will be substantially taller than the Marriott.

20180628152341.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I always thought that parking deck levels actually take LONGER to build than regular residential/office floors due in part to the sloping ramps that have to go in between or adjacent to the parking floors.

My guess is the garage out back is the ready made Finfrock type.

• Thanks 1