sunshine

Creative Village [Proposed]

prahaboheme    671

Use it for what exactly? It's not appropriate for a performing arts center and the only proposal to reuse it was a mega-church (which wasn't actually a realistic proposal since the pastor had no congregation).

cloudship    7

Well...

If you are looking for the "Creative Village" still, it would make a great home for a museum of Animation or Game Design, which would also serve to cement those industries in Orlaand. The stadium setup would also work well for a modern art museum, especially one that dealt with media arts.

I am not sure about the exact structure, but if it is done coventionally you could start exploring some more innovative ideas - creative office space, lofts, restaurant space. Certainly convention facilities are an option, if perhaps in an overly competitive market.

Personally I think the city should work on some of the museum ideas. I think it would not only bring more people downtown, I think it would create a bit of a focus piece for the creative environment they say they are looking for.

Jernigan    995

I don't know, it's a pretty large building. Even as a centerpiece to the village, it just wouldn't be to scale with anything.

I like reusing buildings, which is why I hate big box stores in general. There's not a whole lot you can do with them afterwards, even in a suburban context.

tc01    22

I went there and it was nothing new we already knew. Like it will take 20 years to build the creative village, and it will take 6 months to tear down Amway Arena, it should be complete in April 2012.

cloudship    7

Um...you can't build creativity. Which really has me worried that this is just a front for more office space. Hopefully they will at least try to get some retail in there.

Jernigan    995

Um...you can't build creativity. Which really has me worried that this is just a front for more office space. Hopefully they will at least try to get some retail in there.

I have a fair amount of faith in Dyer and Ustler to do this right. Especially Craig Ustler.

That said, the retail will have to want to move in...I think you'll see plenty of eateries open up, some of what we already have, to serve the students and professionals.

smileguy    334

I have a fair amount of faith in Dyer and Ustler to do this right. Especially Craig Ustler.

That said, the retail will have to want to move in...I think you'll see plenty of eateries open up, some of what we already have, to serve the students and professionals.

What kind of retail do creative firms need?

Will there be an opportunity for a small print shop? The shop next to the Grand Bohemian and the one where Mad Cow Theater is are gone - I think Triangle on Gore does a lot of large-format for people.. with office printers improving, will there be a need for this? There is Sir Speedy and Fedex/Kinkos, but they provide very basic service.

Eateries, as you said, are a natural need.

Bike shop, possibly - for service/repair of creative-class cyclists - accessible to the Orlando Urban Trail, as well... however that progresses.

I would love to see an art gallery or two with accessible works and prices/prints.

I know its not on the map right now, but what about a pure-play children's museum on a park? This would provide a steady stream of families on weekends and help energize the spaces - if done early enough, it could be a selling point for other development.

cloudship    7

I think "creative" means a few different things to different people. My impression is that the city is associating "creative" with media. While many people, when they hear "creative", are expecting a more arts oriented neighborhood.

prahaboheme    671

Cities can do a lot to promote a "creative neighborhood," including providing the necessary infrastructure to harbor creative minds. For instance, many cities have artist studios in gentrifying neighborhoods, a way to usher new life into downtrodden districts while providing mutually beneficial opportunities for small business owners (cheap rent).

Jernigan    995

Looks like they are going to implode the old areba after all...per a recommendation to the developer.

Haven't seen a possible date yet.

klstorey    42

Looks like they are going to implode the old areba after all...per a recommendation to the developer.

Haven't seen a possible date yet.

"Over the next two months, the contactor will work on the interior of the building preparing it for implosion sometime in March 2012. You may see some activity outside the building as well as the demolition contractor prepares for deconstruction."

http://www.cityoforlando.net/elected/venues/creativeupdate/index.htm

Thus far it looks like this will be an implosion without a film to make it famous. Why not do it as part of the opening ceremonies of the NBA All Star Weekend or something like that. Something to make this more than just a building blowing up, Orlando did a great job of creating the needed hype around the old City Hall, let's hope they are able to replicate it here.

cloudship    7

While the city is trying to leverage the "Creative Village" brand as marketing tool for more development, the true creative environment in Orlando keeps poking its head up. Unfortunately I cant make it down there for this, but hope some of you get to go - this is what "creative" is about.

cloudship    7

I want to throw up a link to the

that happened a few weeks ago. There is a reason I am doing this. We are talking here about a creative village, but we are talking in terms of big buildings, skyscrapers, media, high-tech, corporate customers. That isn't really the creative spark. This is the creative spark - small scale, independent, reuse, social, and dynamic.

Building a "village" isn't going to work by putting up a bunch of office buildings, no matter how much they look like they belon in the flat iron district. To be really creative, they should have found a way to reuse the arena - tearing it down is pretty much antithetical to the idea of a creative environment. That should have been the spark right there.

Now, this does not necessarily work for the city that is looking for quick returns on taxes, which is why I dont think the city would ever do anything like this, and why I dont think they will succeed. It doesn't bring in immediate big corporations. But it does bring in those people who start businesses, who are looking to create and grow into new corporations. Thus the creative city is not the resource of funding itself, but rather the engine which makes those resources develop. Perhaps the true creative village just needs to find a new place to come into being.

Edited by cloudship

Jernigan    995

UCF, EA Sports Team Up on Digital Lab (Orlando Sentinel)

Officials on Friday announced the opening of the EA Sports Innovation Lab at the UCF Center for Emerging Media in downtown Orlando....EA Sports built the lab in space donated by UCF for students of the school's Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy. Orlando officials in 2004 donated the building at 500 W. Livingston St. so UCF students could learn about video-game design.

"The 3,000-square-foot lab, with 14 computer stations, a conference room with two massive flat-screen televisions and an Ikea sense of style, will serve as an extension of EA Sports' Maitland headquarters"

-------------------------

I wonder what the chances are that EA makes a full move from Maitland to Creative Village down the road?

smileguy    334

Thomas Chatmon has alluded to a different timeline for Creative Village, perhaps first buildings opening in 2014 with a "Major Educational Anchor" in today's OBJ.  Anyone know what this could be - a Full Sail or similar for-profit college...

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2012/12/exclusive-creative-village-in-talks.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2012-12-14&page=all