Creative Village

sunshine

Well the CV is technically located in "Callahan" and most people wouldn't even know where that is anyway. However, most people would definitely consider it Parramore.

Here's the city's interpretation: "The Parramore neighborhood is approximately one sqaure mile in area bounded on the west by Orange Blossom Trail (SR 441), to the east by Interstate 4, to the south by Gore Street and to the north by West Colonial Drive (SR 50)".

Wow - someone that knows about Callahan - definitely a part of old Orlando. My heart goes pitter-pat!

I had figured Michael CantWin had moved back to St Louis, but it seems he is still he, still without a real job, and still being a gnat on Orlando's skin http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-mike-cantone-creative-village-20130104,0,6263711.story

There is, sadly, a small (and ironically, given the context of the article, mostly all white) wing of the Orange County DEC that is, as one wag once put it, made up of the "old Left, the new Left and what's left." There's an interesting conundrum to it, however: it signals the coming of age of an urban political class. Gadflies such as Cantone (and others such as Doug Head, who actually wields some power in that the press reflexively looks to him for the "Democratic" point of view - no matter how small a sliver of the party it actually represents.) help move important parts of the agenda (diversity, gender  and marriage equality, the sick-time fight) that bring Orlando closer to creative, 1st-tier cities and take us away from the Jackson, Mississippis of the world. Meanwhile, mainstream Democrats like Buddy, the Stuarts, the Demings with Scott Randolph as a bridge actually translate some of the wilder ideas into governance. In the 80's, we saw a mirror image of the model in the GOP with outliers such as Doug Guetzloe but that era is over in Orange County politics.

I had figured Michael CantWin had moved back to St Louis, but it seems he is still he, still without a real job, and still being a gnat on Orlando's skin http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-mike-cantone-creative-village-20130104,0,6263711.story

I wonder if Mike realizes the majority of the people who own property in Parramore 1) don't actually live there, 2) are diverse ethnicities i.e. black, white, asian, etc and 3) want to see the neighborhood improved. Wonder if he cried when people began renovating the delipated homes surrounding Lake Eola or when Thornton Park gentrified...

"[Creative Village] will be built on an empty space. It's not displacing anybody," said Orlando spokeswoman Heather hagan. "Creative Village will have educational institutions, parks, and other amenities. All the things Parramore residents want. It's a leap to say otherwise."

Edited by nite owℓ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Creative Village set to start construction in 2014.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/03/creative-village-to-start-construction.html

"Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer said infrastructure work will begin this year on the 68-acre redevelopment of the now-demolished Amway Arena and surrounding area — thanks to the signing of a tenant for one of the buildings. Though he declined to name the tenant, Dyer said the deal is pretty much done, but just requires the approval of a board he also declined to name."

Edited by Bernanke88

Creative Village set to start construction in 2014.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/03/creative-village-to-start-construction.html

"Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer said infrastructure work will begin this year on the 68-acre redevelopment of the now-demolished Amway Arena and surrounding area — thanks to the signing of a tenant for one of the buildings. Though he declined to name the tenant, Dyer said the deal is pretty much done, but just requires the approval of a board he also declined to name."

This is good news. Was afraid this one was going to be put off for 2-3 years.

• 1 month later...

WFTV Investigates possible new Creative Village tenant

Florida Virtual School has expressed a strong interest in Creative Village tenancy. The city thinks FVS would be an ideal tenant, while Mike Cantone disagrees with giving the school a spot in the Creative Village.

"If the virtual school does come to Creative Village, it would join smaller outpost from the University of Central Florida and a local charter school in that 1-million square-foot project."

Edited by nite owℓ

Creative Mornings/Urban Rethink--Orlando with Craig Ustler

I came across this event at the last minute and finally got a chance to see the man behind the plan, Craig Ustler. His presentation was really informative and inspirational. He covered a lot of ground and was appealing to the Creative Class crowd that showed up to make themselves more visible to the politicians and power brokers of Orlando because there's a perception that the Creative Class doesn't exist in Orlando. All the Old Guard of Orlando can't wait to get back to the old economic engine model of homebuilding and construction now that the economy seems to be improving.

Another take away for me was about the importance of Sunrail no matter if anyone rides it or not. He said the important thing is the type of development that surrounds the stations because they're the walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods that the Creative Class seeks and creates the type of environment where people of all types bump into each other unlike your typical suburban office park (i.e. Maitland Center). I think this is a good talking point as a counterargument for all the politicians and public who think that every function of government should have a direct return on investment. What mass transit is doing is correcting all the bad investment made on far-flung roads and housing that created the poor land use in the first place.

One of the things he warned the audience about was the time involved in doing this right. He said that doing things quickly would result in another Baldwin Park where everything looks the same. You need time to have things build out organically, and his timeline was five years before the first tenants start moving in and 15 years before the grid is restored and total buildout of a mid-rise district. Any of the plans you've seen with 40-story buildings are just to have on paper, and the goal is not to create another canyon wall effect of the CBD.

There was a lot to be optimistic about, and it felt a little more doable than I'd thought before. If we could get a variety of architecture firms besides Baker Barrios designing the buildings, I'd be even happier.

Edited by palmtree73
  • Like 1

You need time to have things build out organically, and his timeline was five years before the first tenants start moving in and 15 years before the grid is restored and total buildout of a mid-rise district. Any of the plans you've seen with 40-story buildings are just to have on paper, and the goal is not to create another canyon wall effect of the CBD.

So basically we're looking at mainly 6 - 8 story builgings with maybe a couple of 10 - 12 story buildings here & there.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's great to hear, many people I know dont even know that there is anything historic left of that building. It would be amazing if they could restore the outside to look somewhat like it did back in the day. I also like the ideal of making into a market.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO the "Creative Village" should include a honest-to-god, degree-granting art and design school like Ringling in Sarasota or SCAD in Savannah. Not something like Full Sail or an Institute of Art affiliate, but something with a bit of prestige without the for-profit price tag.  Even better, find a group of professors on the bleeding edge to start an Orlando Bauhaus.  It would help Orlando rehab its image, draw a bit of avant-garde downtown, and supply a steady stream of visual artists in such working trades as graphic design and architecture.  Before you scoff at the fact I invoked the Bauhaus school, you have to remember its spirit.   Completely doable in Orlando (as long as its not another UCF satellite).   

• Like 3

IMHO the "Creative Village" should include a honest-to-god, degree-granting art and design school like Ringling in Sarasota or SCAD in Savannah. Not something like Full Sail or an Institute of Art affiliate, but something with a bit of prestige without the for-profit price tag.  Even better, find a group of professors on the bleeding edge to start an Orlando Bauhaus.  It would help Orlando rehab its image, draw a bit of avant-garde downtown, and supply a steady stream of visual artists in such working trades as graphic design and architecture.  Before you scoff at the fact I invoked the Bauhaus school, you have to remember its spirit.   Completely doable in Orlando (as long as its not another UCF satellite).   

I agree with the concept of this completely, my only disagreement is the location. Orange Avenue's historic downtown core degrades a little more each day. Let's save it by seeing if any of the buildings are ADA-compliant enough either for use as classrooms or at least student housing for a school or schools such as you suggest. Combining the city's history with the energy of students would be a win-win for everyone. If it doesn't happen soon, we'll wake up one morning and it will all be gone just as the Jaymont Block vanished overnight. I have to imagine this would be a perfect project for Harriet Lake's sort of philanthropy.

• 5 weeks later...

140 to lose jobs at Sheraton Orlando Downtown, filing states

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-sheraton-layoffs-downtown-orlando-20131224,0,113938.story

Assuming this is legit (and investor Nik Patel seems to be legit based on his local track record), it will be interesting to see what he does with this property. Ever since the demise of the Expo Centre, it has seemed a bit of an odd duck (maybe it should have been a Peabody :-). I guess it was designed more as a complement for meetings and once the meeting space went away, its reason for being sort of evaporated. Stay tuned.

Edited by spenser1058