Creative Village

sunshine

I went to UCF from 99-04 and don't remember their potential investment in downtown ever being as substantial as suburb mike does (links?) - at the time I was following UCF growth closer than downtowns.

Bungalower released the ProjectDTO committee lists recently and I think I saw FullSail and Valencia representation but not UCF. Could be wrong but if so that says a lot.

I went to UCF from 99-04 and don't remember their potential investment in downtown ever being as substantial as suburb mike does (links?) - at the time I was following UCF growth closer than downtowns.

Bungalower released the ProjectDTO committee lists recently and I think I saw FullSail and Valencia representation but not UCF. Could be wrong but if so that says a lot.

Sorry DTStevie, but it looks like the Orlando Sentinel archives aren't the easiest to navigate....

I did find this story which highlights the "love" between the City and UCF though:

The city of Orlando and the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts (DPAC) did something very stupid in 2005.

They made John Hitt feel unwelcome.

He didn't whine. He didn't complain. He simply packed up his football team and his School of Performing Arts and left town.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-03-12/news/os-mike-thomas-ucf-venues-031311-20110312_1_ucf-arts-center-stadium

UCF is a member of the ProjectDTO with a mid level representative supporting the Universities interests. I guess that's something?

On their future planning website they do have a few interesting buildings planned including a Expo center dorm & creative village building. Should be interesting to see what comes of this.

Side Note: UCF's looking at building a hotel on the land between the campus and Alafaya. With those new 10 story apartments opening soon and the SR50-UCF BRT/LRT line we could be looking at a EODO Urban Area. 

Is ANYTHING going to happen here before this commission sits? Or even after? One would think that at the very least moving forward with the Amelia St. straightening/BRT lane construction and utilities re-alignment would be time well spent right now. If they really wanted to get ambitious laying out the Central Park as well.

Unless everything is back up in the air, including re-gridding. I know that the Carr Theater (a more proper name anyway, PAC was a bit too grandiose) will be there and operating at least through 2018, if not longer. The lower cost of presenting in a debt free space will help DPAC's financials for awhile. So I can see the Livingston re-alignment causing some headaches also with separating the old armory community center from the tennis courts.

But seriously. NO work at all? No updates to the Lymmo website that says the Parramore BRT should have been running since this summer past? Are they going back to the drawing board THAT completely? 

I've mentioned this before in other forums, but I love this development: http://www.boxpark.co.uk/.  I just had lunch there yesterday at a little fresh fish place called "Simply Fish" on the second floor; nothing about the entire development feels cheap or temporary.  it's been so successful over the past 3 years that the Gap (an unfortunate sign of too much success) is now taking up about 4 units at the ground floor.  Retail is as much of a branding exercise as it is the end point of the supply chain, and this kind of development allows brands to setup short term "pop-up" shops with little risk and low start-up costs, along with entrepreneurial small retailers and food vendors you want to draw in on a more permanent basis.   This would work very well in Orlando, especially at the "Creative Village", as there isn't enough pop-up space in the city to create the critical mass of retail everyone's been pining for since the closure of the Church Street retailers almost 20 years ago.

I've mentioned this before in other forums, but I love this development: http://www.boxpark.co.uk/.  I just had lunch there yesterday at a little fresh fish place called "Simply Fish" on the second floor; nothing about the entire development feels cheap or temporary.  it's been so successful over the past 3 years that the Gap (an unfortunate sign of too much success) is now taking up about 4 units at the ground floor.  Retail is as much of a branding exercise as it is the end point of the supply chain, and this kind of development allows brands to setup short term "pop-up" shops with little risk and low start-up costs, along with entrepreneurial small retailers and food vendors you want to draw in on a more permanent basis.   This would work very well in Orlando, especially at the "Creative Village", as there isn't enough pop-up space in the city to create the critical mass of retail everyone's been pining for since the closure of the Church Street retailers almost 20 years ago.

These are interesting. While in Vegas for work last week I stopped by a similar development in the evolving neighborhood of "downtown Las Vegas". It seemed to be a popular family attraction and the tiny retail units were pretty neat. Many of the retailers seemed to be independent. It definitely didn't feel "cheap".

Link to the Vegas one: http://downtowncontainerpark.com/

Edit: One thing I'd like to add is just how retail-heavy it was. We talk about retail a lot on this forum and how badly downtown Orlando needs it. Downtown Las Vegas doesn't feel as mature as downtown Orlando, but that one park has more retail than the whole of downtown Orlando, even if each shop is literally the size of a shipping container. Interesting to witness classy retail across the street from dozens of buildings shuttered with plywood and broken windows, while Downtown Orlando with dozens of residential high-rises can't support a single clothing store.

Edited by castorvx

These are interesting. While in Vegas for work last week I stopped by a similar development in the evolving neighborhood of "downtown Las Vegas". It seemed to be a popular family attraction and the tiny retail units were pretty neat. Many of the retailers seemed to be independent. It definitely didn't feel "cheap".

Link to the Vegas one: http://downtowncontainerpark.com/

Edit: One thing I'd like to add is just how retail-heavy it was. We talk about retail a lot on this forum and how badly downtown Orlando needs it. Downtown Las Vegas doesn't feel as mature as downtown Orlando, but that one park has more retail than the whole of downtown Orlando, even if each shop is literally the size of a shipping container. Interesting to witness classy retail across the street from dozens of buildings shuttered with plywood and broken windows, while Downtown Orlando with dozens of residential high-rises can't support a single clothing stor

Interesting how the Vegas development was built by the founder of Zappos.  He's an ex-San Franciscan who built an online footwear commerce empire bought by Amazon; he's got both the retailing and urbanist genes in his DNA.  He's also passionate about downtown Las Vegas; Orlando would be blessed to have someone like that with influence...

Edited by jliv
  • Like 1

Interesting how the Vegas development was built by the founder of Zappos.  He's an ex-San Franciscan who built an online footwear commerce empire bought by Amazon; he's got both the retailing and urbanist genes in his DNA.  He's also passionate about downtown Las Vegas; Orlando would be blessed to have someone like that with influence...

This is absolutely right. Retail is returning to cities like Greenville and Austin because there is (certainly in Greenville's case, there has been for many years now) the will to do it. Buddy put the arrival of Publix and the Plaza Cinema Cafe on his bucket list and got it done. Since that time, he's moved on and his appointees who are responsible for the progress of downtown have been ineffective. It's going to have to come from outside. I have more about that in another post.

This is absolutely right. Retail is returning to cities like Greenville and Austin because there is (certainly in Greenville's case, there has been for many years now) the will to do it. Buddy put the arrival of Publix and the Plaza Cinema Cafe on his bucket list and got it done. Since that time, he's moved on and his appointees who are responsible for the progress of downtown have been ineffective. It's going to have to come from outside. I have more about that in another post.

There was a time when friends of mine would come down from Atlanta to party in downtown Orlando.  Seriously.  For a brief, absolutely shocking moment, Orlando was hip.  My memories from the mid 1990's was of a scene that was completely driven by entrepreneurs, with Glenda Hood having absolutely nothing to do with it.  Any future progress needs to come from entrepreneurs like the folks who opened places Big Bang, Yab Yum, and the Sapphire Supper Club.  All of these places were opened by people who saw a diamond in the rough; my suspicions are that there are legions on young entrepreneurs with trendy concepts to bring downtown, without much financing to back them.  A mechanism for "pop up" stores, in parallel with the food truck craze, is exactly what is needed to kickstart a significant shop and food culture.

Edited by jliv
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I'm sure UCF would love to add some buildings and move some classes/programs there. I know they've expressed interest in expanding their downtown location. However, when we will see some actual construction there remains uncertain.

UCF is hosting an event in September to discuss bringing a campus to downtown.  They have been actively working with consultants behind the scenes in order to assess the viability of a downtown campus, citing the success of University of Arizona in downtown Phoenix.

Since downtown land is generally scarce east of I-4, it seems that of the few possible locations where there is land readily available, the Creative Village presents the best option (close proximity to CBD, Lynx Terminal, and an already established presence there).  The only other option would be the go vertical and scatter buildings amongst the CBD (aka the NYU, SCAD models).  Personally, I'm in favor of the latter approach for a UCF downtown presence, as the integration within the downtown environment (with upward of 15,000 students) would have a noticeable impact on the vibrancy of the core.  Downtown Orlando is already much more compact than downtown Phoenix, and large tracts of land are not available.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

UCF is hosting an event in September to discuss bringing a campus to downtown.  They have been actively working with consultants behind the scenes in order to assess the viability of a downtown campus, citing the success of University of Arizona in downtown Phoenix.

Since downtown land is generally scarce east of I-4, it seems that of the few possible locations where there is land readily available, the Creative Village presents the best option (close proximity to CBD, Lynx Terminal, and an already established presence there).  The only other option would be the go vertical and scatter buildings amongst the CBD (aka the NYU, SCAD models).  Personally, I'm in favor of the latter approach for a UCF downtown presence, as the integration within the downtown environment (with upward of 15,000 students) would have a noticeable impact on the vibrancy of the core.  Downtown Orlando is already much more compact than downtown Phoenix, and large tracts of land are not available.

In my opinion, if UCF were to open a downtown campus of that size (around 15,000), it may have the largest impact of any development downtown has seen to date.  Seriously - including the venues+soccer stadium and Sunrail (at it's current size/value).  Not only would it bring a sizeable population in the age group that most enjoys what downtown already has to offer, but it would bring the kind of vibrancy that is often noted as lacking in Orlando compared to other similar cities (when it comes to art, music, activism, etc).  It also exposes young talented people to an urban lifestyle (I grew up in suburban sprawl, went to an urban college campus, and have lived in city cores ever since) - many of whom would be more likely to stay downtown after graduation, not to mention start their own businesses here.  I know at this point this is all just talk - but I would support the real value of a downtown UCF campus over the nice-sounding-but-lack-of-real-substance idea that is the "Creative Village"...

UNC Charlotte recently (2011) inaugurated their building and hence larger presence in Uptown (their downtown).  The campus is along the Blue LIne light rail which spurred hundreds of millions of dollars of growth along the line that goes from south Charlotte into Uptown. Now under construction is the Blue Line phase II which will end at UNC Charlotte Main campus.  The University wanted a larger presence in the City Center and with help from the local government, brought a much needed educational aspect to the city, in collaboration with local architects, and fueled by the buzz of the growing city centre.  This building broke ground as three new museums, two parks, a baseball stadium and other projects were approved, under construction, or being opened.  Orlando is in a place where there is excitement about potentials and UCF's commitment to the city could catalyze growth towards a more diverse, vibrant, and better educated core. They simultaneously would be benefitting the larger community, the city, and themselves. The presence of higher education plus higher densities is always a win for cities. 

Here's a link to the architectural renderings of the first UNCC building which was built in a former industrial area turned sea of parking lots. Like many unused portions of the projected Creative Village, the campus brought a human presence immediately following the opening.  http://www.gantthuberman.com/project.php?portfolio=higher-education&id=11  This video gives  an overview of UNCC in Uptown Charlotte. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoJAENPMs0E

Edited by smonteserin
  • Like 1

You'd think if UCF does put a campus downtown that Valencia will want to jump on board and have a couple buildings in there as well. Valencia has over 50,000 students enrolled each semester last time I heard so surely they would be interested. Possibly expanding their Tech courses, and downtown would be perfect.

The light rail system in Phoenix is basically a system connecting the main campus in Tempe to downtown. Having a campus in downtown Orlando will add to the potential of a transit system connecting downtown with the UCF Main Campus. If planned well, the system can benefit much more than just the students. The flow of traffic from the downtown area to the East Orlando/Orange County/UCF areas is huge. Phoenix managed to connect the two campuses (and the East Valley Institute of Technology to the east of the ASU Main Campus) with business and technology office parks, a spur to the airport, downtown sports venues, and to a hospital and shopping center north of the downtown. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but this development will do wonders to the region as well, and give more incentive and need for connectivity.

• Like 2

The light rail system in Phoenix is basically a system connecting the main campus in Tempe to downtown. Having a campus in downtown Orlando will add to the potential of a transit system connecting downtown with the UCF Main Campus. If planned well, the system can benefit much more than just the students. The flow of traffic from the downtown area to the East Orlando/Orange County/UCF areas is huge. Phoenix managed to connect the two campuses (and the East Valley Institute of Technology to the east of the ASU Main Campus) with business and technology office parks, a spur to the airport, downtown sports venues, and to a hospital and shopping center north of the downtown. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but this development will do wonders to the region as well, and give more incentive and need for connectivity.

Having traveled to both Phoenix and Charlotte within a couple of months, it's amazing the amount of impact via TOD the light rail system has had in one and not the other.  Charlotte's South End is filling with mid-rise apartments, amenities and adaptive re-use as a design district along the blue line. I stayed at a family member's apartment there and over the course of a few days, there was always a different restaurant or bar to go to - all delicious (although I'm sure she curated the selection) and within a couple block's walk.  I stayed within a block of the work they were doing in Phoenix to extend their light rail line where it ends at Bethany Home Rd.  I drove back towards downtown along the route, and it seemed like the same type of low-density development endemic to the region all along the route.  I would hope that a UCF connection along Colonial to Downtown Orlando could serve both those at both ends of the route and help revitalize the Phoenix-like development between the two ends between Alafaya and Fashion Square.

• Like 2

If the hold off on turning dirt has been sorting out the land use as they look away from the "Creative Village" idea to urban campus, then I'll stop whining.

I've seen mention to the area not being urban enough and the parking garage perhaps taking the project more towards another commuter based campus. One of the the exhibits in the DPAC-City Carr management agreement shows Lot 1 being divided up by extending Livingston through the drop off loop of the Carr into the existing parking lot to where it meets a Terry extension. The current Livingston curve shows being retained and named Bently, or something like that, keeping the old armory community center grounds untouched.

Hopefully some "for student" housing that is not under control of the University would be developed like around the main campus. The resort style apartments for 3 roomates rather than a family layout would have more interest than just students I would think. Along with more traditional family housing and something like The View for affordable housing, the area could really attract a creative village that could push out from the boundaries of the old Amway footprint and into Paramore. I would hope.

Just rename the place to University Village and be done with it.

If you can convince UCF, Valencia, and Full Sail to build Downtown campuses....that whole area will be hopping with activity over the next 5-10 years...ala East Berlin and before you know it will be seamlessly connected with the rest of Downtown and Parramore. I remember visiting East Berlin (early 90's) right after the wall came down and real estate pricing was cheap (relative to West Berlin) and all you could see was a "sea" of cranes lining the sky and Capitalism at its finest...what a sight!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UCF has officially added a Downtown Orlando campus to its five-year plan

"The UCF Board of Trustees voted July 31 on a five-year capital improvement plan, which will include a $75 million campus and a $15 million parking garage. The campus is planned to be a joint-use facility with Valencia College, which could share in the cost."

• Like 2