Creative Village

sunshine

• 4 weeks later...
Push for downtown UCF campus quickly takes shape
"Let's say we have 10,000 students on a daily basis in downtown Orlando. That is a great benefit in terms of the activity and the vibrancy," Dyer said. "You think of so many cities that have a large university presence downtown, it just changes the complexion of the city to have the students roaming our streets."

It definitely sounds like sooner, not later, and amazing enthusiasm from several different quarters (what a difference from the way the whole Creative Village project moved in slo-mo for the last several years).

Where did this 10,000 number come from? 1300 space garage and 800 bed student housing leaves a bit of a gap.

The last I heard it was 15,000, so this is quite a drop.  I doubt the plan is to have it open with all 10-15K on day one.  It will open and expand over time.  As for beds, new apartments are being announced almost daily, the latest being on the Sentinel site.  That's walking distance, so who needs a garage.

The last I heard it was 15,000, so this is quite a drop.  I doubt the plan is to have it open with all 10-15K on day one.  It will open and expand over time.  As for beds, new apartments are being announced almost daily, the latest being on the Sentinel site.  That's walking distance, so who needs a garage.

I don't know how this works normally for student housing, but it seems like the average downtown rent (at least for single occupancy) would be above what I would consider affordable for a college student. I would expect the school would need to provide a large amount of beds, or be mostly a commuter school. Any thoughts on that?

Maybe other private developers would move in to fill that void?

Although 55 West has pretty much been a frat house for all 5 years I've lived in it.

• Like 1

News 13 announcing the downtown UCF/Valencia campus re-announcement this morning. Still the 10,000 student number, which includes Valencia students, still no word on what courses, still the garage for $15M. Put the cost of the project at $200M now, which I think is higher than before? But still waiting on approvals from the university's Board of Trustees and Florida Board of Governors.

One new hint, Hitt said he thinks the TV station WUCF would do well downtown. I think current studios are in the Research Park, But bringing the whole Nicholson School of Communications downtown would compliment the existing Emerging Media programs in the old expo center. Facilities that Valencia's students could use as well for their Radio/TV/Film programs. But who knows?

News 13 announcing the downtown UCF/Valencia campus re-announcement this morning. Still the 10,000 student number, which includes Valencia students, still no word on what courses, still the garage for $15M. Put the cost of the project at $200M now, which I think is higher than before? But still waiting on approvals from the university's Board of Trustees and Florida Board of Governors.

One new hint, Hitt said he thinks the TV station WUCF would do well downtown. I think current studios are in the Research Park, But bringing the whole Nicholson School of Communications downtown would compliment the existing Emerging Media programs in the old expo center. Facilities that Valencia's students could use as well for their Radio/TV/Film programs. But who knows?

(Emphasis mine).

OBJ had this tidbit in their article on the subject:

While the final list of programs committed to downtown is still to be determined, Hitt mentioned WUCF TV, digital media and visual arts, and public service. He also said the school is exploring a possible new program for students with disabilities.

Bungalower also had a couple articles on this today, one of which linked to a 7 minute video from UCF.

Awesome stuff.
Edited by castorvx

Thanks castorvx. I wouldn't think Performing Arts would come over. They have a new building built in 2010 which is pretty specialized and not easy to repurpose, plus plans for performing spaces. Another Phase 2 awaiting donation funding, which has pretty much all been diverted to the DPCPA. But then again, the School of Communications was finished in 1997 I think and have a number of special built studios, sound stages, and radio studios. 

One program that doesn't have a building is the College of Nursing, but that is supposed to be built out at Lake Nona along with the Dental College and a teaching hospital, if that is still in the cards. So I guess visual arts, public service and what's already down in the expo center with the TV station with maybe some gen ed offered as well. More fun than fantasy football!

Thanks castorvx. I wouldn't think Performing Arts would come over. They have a new building built in 2010 which is pretty specialized and not easy to repurpose, plus plans for performing spaces. Another Phase 2 awaiting donation funding, which has pretty much all been diverted to the DPCPA. But then again, the School of Communications was finished in 1997 I think and have a number of special built studios, sound stages, and radio studios. 

One program that doesn't have a building is the College of Nursing, but that is supposed to be built out at Lake Nona along with the Dental College and a teaching hospital, if that is still in the cards. So I guess visual arts, public service and what's already down in the expo center with the TV station with maybe some gen ed offered as well. More fun than fantasy football!

I could see computer science moving and having an emphasis of tech, and maybe linking to the new places in the exchange.  Then repurposing the Computer Science Building as Engineering 4.

I could see computer science moving and having an emphasis of tech, and maybe linking to the new places in the exchange.  Then repurposing the Computer Science Building as Engineering 4.

Computer Science moved into Harris Engineering Center a few years ago. That building is almost entirely computer related majors. The Computer Science Building was renamed College of Sciences Building.

Lots of exciting possibilities here with UCF. Hopefully down the road most of UCF's colleges will have some kind of presence downtown to help extend their business partnerships, community outreach, and continuing education. Visual Arts and Public Service make the most sense, but extended MBA programs  & Graduate Engineering degrees ( e.g. Systems Engineering masters ) would be great too.

Maybe one day even a Law School??

Future is really bright for downtown Orlando & UCF.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...