Creative Village

sunshine

Finally some news regarding the status of the Creative Village:  http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/print-edition/2014/12/05/creative-village-construction-countdown.html?ana=sm_orl_ucp48&b=1417721067^16085521&page=all

From the article:

"In 2015, three major initiatives will be underway:

• Construction and delivery of the infrastructure and Lymmo bus system
  • Definition of the UCF/Valencia plan and development program, including a campus master plan for the academic space and identification of the colleges and programs that will be located downtown
  • Specific pre-development work for the first phase of commercial development, which is expected to include office, apartment and retail space

What's the overall timeline for upcoming steps? In 2016 we will continue the pre-development process and we should have buildings under construction in 2016 and 2017, with completion set for 2017 or 2018. Creative Village is multiphase project that will run over 15 to 20 years."

Also an interesting tidbit from Ustler:  "Our preliminary job study done several years ago indicated Creative Village would create about 8,000 direct and indirect jobs. This did not take into account several notable developments that have occurred in the last few years, including the significant commitment by UCF and Valencia and the new K-8 public school west of our project. The total vertical commercial development program is conservatively valued at more than $1 billion. The academic buildings likely will be another several hundred million dollars."

I was not aware that there was a new public school in the works for this neighborhood.

They mentioned the public school in the UCF video. I think having kids from the neighborhood around the environment that will be built here can only be viewed as a positive. Also as more individuals move into the area, we will hopefully have a very diverse school. Maybe some of the students of the schools moved down here can volunteer and teach programs at the school.

• Like 1

I believe this is one of the two schools planned that will take the place of Ferncreek elementary, which has been hailed nationally for its success in community involvement, racial integration and academics.  This is a good read on the topic. I think the neighborhood (and Creative Village) deserve a school like this, and hope the K-8 model and new location can serve them as well as Ferncreek has. 

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/proposed-school-closures-prompt-discussion-about-segregation/Content?oid=2242772 

FYI, the Ferncreek principal who led the school to their successes is no longer there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

CV will be assuming maintenance of the 6 Orlando Centroplex monument signs so look for new logs and Creative Village to replace the old soon

Great news as these markers could use some love, but do they have to use the CV name? I was reeeeaaally hoping that was just a working title as it sounds a bit contrived and generic.
  • Like 1

Perhaps elsewhere the article was posted about Orlando tying for 2nd Place in a Top Ten Creative Cities piece done by a real estate blog that also has done Top Tens on happiest zip codes, nerdiest small cities and the like. All with suspect rubrics, but I'm sure the Chamber of Commerce will take it and it might even show up in a EDC ad. We led with being #4 in entertainment jobs percentage (Vegas #1) and #2 in art supply stores per capita (Cincinnati #1) while our lowest ranking was in Art School/Centers. No categories in tech creativity at all.   

Then I saw this article, and I think it bodes well for UCF and the area if we are to be seen as a hub of creativity for some time to come:

New UCF Design Class Brings Art, Engineering Students Together.

Somewhere I remember reading that bringing a number of programs downtown would free up space for science and engineering on the main campus. Calling this one spot in downtown the "Creative Village" sells short our other centers of creativity, Lake Nona, the Main UCF campus, and the start ups in and around the old Church Street Exchange building. Not to mention the gaming center growing up around EA Sports' Maitland shops.

Edited by Boomer136

• 2 months later...

^^

the groundbreaking is just public works stuff.

I think the first thing to get built will be a UCF related building.  beyond that, who knows.  office buildings need leases.  and I don't see that happening that easily within the next 5 years.  Sunrail will be conected to OIA before that happens I bet (but don't ask me how much I bet).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the UCF money made it to the state budget?

Edit -- I checked -- for capex, 

UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA

Downtown Presence - Building A........................... 15,000,000

Partnership IV........................................... 20,000,000

The proposed 2015-2016 state budget was presented yesterday, and here is a 72-hour waiting period before they can vote on it.

Edited by smileguy

Does anyone know if the UCF money made it to the state budget?

Edit -- I checked -- for capex, 

UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA

Downtown Presence - Building A........................... 15,000,000

Partnership IV........................................... 20,000,000

The proposed 2015-2016 state budget was presented yesterday, and here is a 72-hour waiting period before they can vote on it.

UCF is saying thats what they needed to proceed with architecture/plan design so with next years budget, it should be completely shovel ready and still open on time.