Creative Village

sunshine

Mayor puts together 'creative village' group

Team to come up with ideas for makeover of Centroplex

Chris Cobbs {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted August 16, 2006

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...iness-headlines

24908185.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice the new hotel.

I am more inclined to think that the new arena will be on Church and Hughey, hence the 600K for 1/4 acre purchase near Cityview occured.

It will be cool if they can change the centroplex like Georgetown DC kind of neighbourhood. But it takes too long to do it, we have to wait for the new arena to be built, then tear the old one down, then rebuilt.

Agreed, sunshine. everybody who knows anything on this board seems to be implying that this thing will be going on Church...

:thumbsup:

This will seal Mayor Dyer's place in history as Orlando's greatest! If he allows it to go to International Dr., he will lose all credibility and respect in the downtown business community.

"We need to restore Parramore. No neighborhood has been studied more than Parramore. The time to act is now. You can measure my success as Mayor of Orlando by my ability to rebuild this once proud neighborhood." Buddy Dyer, Inaugural Address

If it is going to I-Drive, why would City of Orlando chip-in money since it is outside the city limit. Anyway, this is not the arena thread. Might as well put it in Pine Hills.

Part of I-Drive is in the City. Universal I believe is, and I know the Motel 6 just to the east is. I agree it's not going near the CC, but I guess it's still possible that it could go somewhere near Universal/I-Drive.

Oh whoops back to the topic. Is the purpose of this to come up with ideas of what to do with the area? One guy says they are starting with a clean slate then next breath he says they need 10 years to get to what they 'vision'.

Obviously someone in City Hall has some ideas. Wouldn't it make sense to sell some of the land to cover some of the cost of the new arena and PAC?

Edited by neon9

In some preview news, it did state that it will be in the 30 stories range.

People have been chiming in about how they want something tall close to I-4. This fills that need/want.

It also may mark the beginning of tall buildings in Parramore. This is if it breaks ground before the expansion of City Place.

Speaking of Full Sail...

Full Sail earns kudos for entertainment industry education

Full Sail Real World Education has been recognized by three entertainment industry-related magazines for its work in educating students in the performing arts.

"Shift Magazine" has named the Orlando-based school one of the top three entertainment media colleges, and "UNleashed Magazine" has named Full Sail one of the best film programs in the U.S. In addition, "MovieMaker Magazine" named Full Sail one of the top 25 colleges for "world's best film educational opportunities."

Orlando Business Journal

That would be nice, but then, UCF would have to be in the same place as their competition. They both have digital media and film programs and Full Sail just started their Bachelor's program. I don't see it happening.

They're only down University from each other as it is. I think moving it downtown is a good move for the arts community too, many actors audition for Full Sail films. If there was a PAC, SAK Comedy, & other small theatres PLUS Full Sail it would be a local actors dream.

They're only down University from each other as it is. I think moving it downtown is a good move for the arts community too, many actors audition for Full Sail films. If there was a PAC, SAK Comedy, & other small theatres PLUS Full Sail it would be a local actors dream.

Isn't Semoran/Full Sail about 8 miles from Alafaya/UCF?