Creative Village

sunshine

9 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Mill Creek Residential Trust (Developer of Modera) just bought property with plans for a new 250- to 300-unit complex with ground-floor commercial space in the middle of Creative Village. 

Hope it doesn't look like a typical Mill Creek/Modera building.

One is enough, thank you.

38 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Hope it doesn't look like a typical Mill Creek/Modera building.

One is enough, thank you.

I don't think we will get an improvement over the Modera, considering it is arguably the best location for a decent design with high visibility downtown and it was still relatively mediocre.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Mill Creek Residential Trust (Developer of Modera) just bought property with plans for a new 250- to 300-unit complex with ground-floor commercial space in the middle of Creative Village. 

I'll take a Modera tower over a 5 story apartment building any day of the week.  What kind of massing is this gonna have?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

And Here I was figuring this would be a taller tower but it may be a 4 -5 story building 1.7 acres...

on the sliding scale...this would be the next best thing IMO.  These types of projects are starting to dot the 17/92 "skyline" as of late and they don't look half bad.  The new one u/c at Millennia near Bloomie's and the one at Ravenia in Maitland are massive in bulk.  Bulky is good, depending on where it is.

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

on the sliding scale...this would be the next best thing IMO.  These types of projects are starting to dot the 17/92 "skyline" as of late and they don't look half bad.  The new one u/c at Millennia near Bloomie's and the one at Ravenia in Maitland are massive in bulk.  Bulky is good, depending on where it is.

Not unlike, say, Thornton Park Central, which at the time was widely commended for transforming Thornton Park into what it has become today.  Twenty years later, and we still don't see mixed use projects so successfully implemented (including every project that Ustler has attempted since).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Not unlike, say, Thornton Park Central, which at the time was widely commended for transforming Thornton Park into what it has become today.  Twenty years later, and we still don't see mixed use projects so successfully implemented (including every project that Ustler has attempted since).

I wonder how much of that success was because of Phil Rampy and NOT Craig Ustler...

48 minutes ago, orlandouprise said:

I wonder how much of that success was because of Phil Rampy and NOT Craig Ustler...

I thought TPC was more Craig's project than Phil's. Phil was certainly instrumental in the conversion of Thornton Park proper (E Washington St.) and was without doubt probably the more creative of the two. That's going back a bit though so maybe it's all a big haze to me now...

20 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

An article on Johns Hopkins efforts to turn East Baltimore into a major biotech hub. This is a massive redevelopment of Middle East, complete with a fancy new name:  Eager Park.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/apr/18/gentrify-or-die-inside-a-universitys-controversial-plan-for-baltimore

This has me thinking more about the approach taken thus far to CV.  The initial vision for CV was to establish a "creative class" hub complete with startup incubators; this was nearly a decade ago. Perhaps this initial vision was premature.  What evolved over time is the establishment of the downtown campus for UCF/Valencia and it appears the entire CV will eventually build out as the campus and a center of activity that caters to student life. 

Will the inception of the downtown campus lead to further investment in Parramore, or does it take controversial plans like Eager Park (with the backing of the Michael Bloombergs of the world) to force change? Will the actual "creative village" end up being in an entirely different location further west into Parramore?

I, for one, am of the opinion that the "Creative Village" name should now be dropped entirely.  Restore it to Callahan and promote the area as the downtown UCF campus.

I have been thinking similarly.  Wasn't there supposed to be more space for office development at the CV?  

I always pictured cool warehouse/loft-style offices for tech startups.

I know others suggested CV for the Amazon HQ2 a while back.  

Were the original plans changed to a more traditional urban college-campus? 

9 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

I have been thinking similarly.  Wasn't there supposed to be more space for office development at the CV?  

I always pictured cool warehouse/loft-style offices for tech startups.

I know others suggested CV for the Amazon HQ2 a while back.  

Here's an article from Orlando Weekly from, gasp, 2007 that is worth a read: https://m.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/creative-by-design/Content?oid=2274793

;"The Creative Village," reads the accompanying vision statement, "will be a magnet for knowledge workers to live, work, learn and play — a place where high-tech, digital media and creative industry companies integrate with residential, retail, and academia in a neighborhood that is connected to the surrounding community and plugged in globally …."

I, for one, am of the opinion that the "Creative Village" name should now be dropped entirely.  Restore it to Callahan and promote the area as the downtown UCF campus.

I couldn't agree more. IIRC, "Creative Village" was always intended to be a temporary name, but as development has ramped up along with the approval of UCF Downtown, it's stuck around and outworn its welcome. It sounds contrived and forced.

I think the best thing that could happen is for this area to become incorporated into the Parramore neighborhood boundaries. It's a boost to the reputation of the neighborhood and its residents, and it helps promote Parramore as a progressive area with an association tying it to a major university. Just my two cents.
  • Like 3

I agree. I think the whole "Creative Village" thing began as a PR cover to build the DeVoses a new arena and to demolish an expensive asset that was only 25 years old.

I couldn't agree more. IIRC, "Creative Village" was always intended to be a temporary name, but as development has ramped up along with the approval of UCF Downtown, it's stuck around and outworn its welcome. It sounds contrived and forced. 

Could "Creative Village" end up being the EPCOT of downtown Orlando?

IOW, a fancy name based on a high-minded concept that ends up being something much more ordinary?

• Like 1